Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going through Passport Control, what were you asked?

Going through Passport Control, what were you asked?

Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future
Default Re: Going through Passport Control, what were you asked?

Originally Posted by krishnax
Hi I just wanna say that this is a good thread. Planning to go to Canada maybe next year for a quick visit to my uncle and surely this thread helps.
Cheers Krishnax, glad it's of help, you may know, you can 'search' all kinds of stuff from schools to Visa waiting times etc. A great resource for like minded dudes.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ScottishJim
Hi there,
I was over in June 2006 on my own for two weeks to "write" the Heavy equipment technician exam and look for a job.
At the usual point of entry at Calgary Airport the female customs officer asked my reason for visiting, I replied that I was over to write the exam and speak to potential employers. She sent me over to another customs officer, I must admit to being a bit worried but as has been said earlier just be relaxed as you have nothing to worry about and you will probably have some contact names and numbers of the folks at the exam centre so take them with you.

I just explained to the next Customs officer that his colleague had sent me over, he asked me that same question, I explained why I was over, he stamped my passport and wished me luck in the usual Albertan friendly way that always make me feel that I am at home in Canada.

Hopefully we will get the same friendly welcome when we finally head over in January 2008.

Good luck with the exam, which one are you "writing"?

ScottishJim
Hiya Jim,

fellow Scot! Sent you a PM.

Cheers Buddy.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I went over to Nova Scotia last month to take my nursing exam. When asked I just told them that I was coming over to take an exam and to have a look around as I was hoping to come to live there next year.

He asked me what area I was thinking of living in and then gave me lots of advice on which were the nicest places to live.

He then just wished me luck and waved me through. Not scary at all.

The only scary part was the British couple behind me who were clearly not happy that we were chatting and holding up the queue.
We had the same experience, told them I was over to look at area's to live and meet with employers, he just asked if I planned on leaving this time, I said yes unfortunatley, then he gave us loads of advice on where we might enjoy living. No problems at all
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:31 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

"Are you allergic to latex?"

Actually I arrived as a tourist, and when asked about the purpose of my trip I just answered honestly and said I was here to buy property. I was reminded that I wasn't allowed to work, and told to enjoy my stay.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

ScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the rough

Hi Happylandings,
Sorry can't open the PM until I have posted 3 times, one more after this one and I can open the PM.

Cheers

ScottishJim