Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going through the motions

Going through the motions

Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Going through the motions

Originally Posted by RRhodes
We have got permanent residency visas, sold the house, sold possessions but still not moving. We have a great life in the UK but feel like we are just going through the motions each day counting down the time until we move to Canada in August. I wish time would speed up but perhaps I should just go through life as normal forgetting I am moving for a few more months.
If you're happy in the UK and you feel your life is great, I really wouldn't leave the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:34 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Can you use the time by maybe visiting some part of UK/Eurpoe that you always meant to but never got around to before????
A weekend in Rome or something?

Good idea
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:35 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

We have got permanent residency visas, sold the house, sold possessions but still not moving. We have a great life in the UK but feel like we are just going through the motions each day counting down the time until we move to Canada in August. I wish time would speed up but perhaps I should just go through life as normal forgetting I am moving for a few more months.
Out of interest why did you apply for PR when you have a great life in the UK?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:48 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Im moving to be closer to my family and because when I applied (5 years ago) was at a different stage. Im now married, have money in the bank, an ok job etc but if I dont go my pr will expire and there is no way I can get another chance as the points system / job categories has changed. Im willing to try and see if life is even better elsewhere. I may also want my own family one day and apparently the UK is 'going to the dogs' as my mum keeps telling me! I am British (born in Yorkshire) but grew up in Dubai and Hong Kong (my dads a pilot) so have only lived in the UK for 15 years. I will be living with my brother when I get there and it will be nice to have the whole family together at christmas.

I am off to Holland in a few weeks and went to Portsmouth at the weekend so am making a bit more of my time here. We are also planning to go to Spain to visit my husbands parents and perhaps a few more day trips are on the cards. Its suprising whats on your door step! We sold our house in November and it feels strange to rent, especially as we are renting a wooden chalet in the country. Cant wait to buy our own house again!

Thanks for your comments (not the first few!)
Originally Posted by edmontron
If you're happy in the UK and you feel your life is great, I really wouldn't leave the UK.
Originally Posted by james.mc
Out of interest why did you apply for PR when you have a great life in the UK?
Read the OP's replies!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Im moving to be closer to my family and because when I applied (5 years ago) was at a different stage. Im now married, have money in the bank, an ok job etc but if I dont go my pr will expire and there is no way I can get another chance as the points system / job categories has changed. Im willing to try and see if life is even better elsewhere. I may also want my own family one day and apparently the UK is 'going to the dogs' as my mum keeps telling me! I am British (born in Yorkshire) but grew up in Dubai and Hong Kong (my dads a pilot) so have only lived in the UK for 15 years. I will be living with my brother when I get there and it will be nice to have the whole family together at christmas.

I am off to Holland in a few weeks and went to Portsmouth at the weekend so am making a bit more of my time here. We are also planning to go to Spain to visit my husbands parents and perhaps a few more day trips are on the cards. Its suprising whats on your door step! We sold our house in November and it feels strange to rent, especially as we are renting a wooden chalet in the country. Cant wait to buy our own house again!

Thanks for your comments (not the first few!)
Ah, that makes sense. It seemed odd to give up something good for the unknown.

Good luck!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

We leave the UK in about 5 weeks...in a total panic that we simply don't have enough time to sort everything out before we go - we'd be happy to do a 'time swap' with you - you'd be out there in next to no time and we'd have some breathing space to get ourselves sorted!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

RRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to all

we dont really have too much to sort out as we did most of it last year - hence that we are living in a furnsihed log cabin and have been for a few months. It was hard to sell everything we owned (except the cat) and luckily we can stay with my brother when we get there so dont have that worry, also my parents will have the cat when we move and bring her over in December when they visit for my brothers wedding. I literally own my clothes and a car and thats it. I could move today!

My two best friends are also emigrating - one to Australia in October and one to Cyprus in 2 weeks. Must be something about UK and our age perhaps. We all have the same reasons for moving and wish we had done it sooner. A friend of my husbands is considering moving to New Zealand also. There will be a sortage of 30ish year olds in the UK perhaps??

Whats do you have to sort out, do you have children and pets?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you OP. Go for it. Yes, it's a bit 'motionish', but why shouldn't it be? You have your whole life in front of you. Lots of us poor old souls on here are at the 'last kick of the cat' stage! Whilst you have youth, enthusiasm and desire on your side, go for it big time! Enjoy the motion. I now have one very precious child, but...he has slowed down my travels big time; before that I had various dogs and cats and they were well travelled, like me, but now we are just stay at homes!. You can't do it to a child - at least not with a sense of responsibility. I live now, in one of the most beautiful houses in the world, with everything 'I' wish for, but it isn't the best bet for our kid. But if I had my life to live again, I wouldn't have done it this way. Experience everything you can, and then decide - best wishes, and all good luck.