Going to move to Langley, Canada

Wikiposts

Going to move to Langley, Canada

Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Mr_Cheeks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to move to Langley, Canada

Hi people,

I am English but have canadian citizenship for me and my 2 children but my wife to be has'ent.
I have an uncle that lives in Abbotsford B.C.
We have never been to canada but with in the next 12-18 months we are looking to move out there and are thinking of Langley because it is close to Vancouver and im a bricklayer/builder and feel the city would give me the best chance of work.

I am going to go out b4 hand but would like to speak to some possible work contacts b4 i go and to get an idea of how much i can earn and cost of living.

if there is any brits that have done this and are working out there now that could give me some help and advice on this, i would be very grateful.

I am open on living anywhere decent to bring up my children but want to remain near vancouver.

I have never posted a thread b4 so am excited on any reply and looking forward to having a chat.

Thanks Andy
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Going to move to Langley, Canada

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you never visited Canada before? Even for a holiday? How did you decide you wanted to move there? I don't mean to sound negative but moving your family to the other side of the world to a country you have never visited sounds like a huge risk - what if you don't like it? It is very expensive to pack up and move back!

With regard jobs and wages etc, maybe the website below will help to give you a general idea: www.jobbank.gc.ca

I would also recommend a look at the Wiki (blue bar at the top of the page) as this has loads of helpful info, including an article on job hunting.

HTH, any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Linz
x
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:57 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr_Cheeks
Hi people,

I am English but have canadian citizenship for me and my 2 children but my wife to be has'ent.
I have an uncle that lives in Abbotsford B.C.
We have never been to canada but with in the next 12-18 months we are looking to move out there and are thinking of Langley because it is close to Vancouver and im a bricklayer/builder and feel the city would give me the best chance of work.

I am going to go out b4 hand but would like to speak to some possible work contacts b4 i go and to get an idea of how much i can earn and cost of living.

if there is any brits that have done this and are working out there now that could give me some help and advice on this, i would be very grateful.

I am open on living anywhere decent to bring up my children but want to remain near vancouver.

I have never posted a thread b4 so am excited on any reply and looking forward to having a chat.

Thanks Andy
Welcome to BE. Not sure what all the codes are you are using, but got the gist of it.

I would highly recommend at least one visit before upping sticks and moving to somewhere you've never seen. What happens if you hate it? Langley is not much different to any other suburb for construction. Even if you live in one town, no reason why you cannot drive to another for work, happens all the time in construction. You may want to call a few contractors to find out the job opportunities, building is not doing too well here right now.

If you come on a scouting trip, gives the chance to check out the areas that may appeal.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I am one of the 'weird' people that upped sticks and moved without having ever visited Canada before doing so. I have no regrets and absolutely love it here I figured that it couldn't be any worse than where I was moving from!

Langley is ok. Housing tends to be more expensive the nearer you move to Vancouver, and cheaper the further you move away from Vancouver. We couldn't afford to buy what we wanted in Langley (and definitely not in Vancouver), which is why we ended up in Abbotsford!

I think that the trades are only just starting to pick up again after the recession, although things are still very slow.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 12:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
I am one of the 'weird' people that upped sticks and moved without having ever visited Canada before doing so. I have no regrets and absolutely love it here I figured that it couldn't be any worse than where I was moving from!

Langley is ok. Housing tends to be more expensive the nearer you move to Vancouver, and cheaper the further you move away from Vancouver. We couldn't afford to buy what we wanted in Langley (and definitely not in Vancouver), which is why we ended up in Abbotsford!

I think that the trades are only just starting to pick up again after the recession, although things are still very slow.
Just been to your neck of the woods - The traffic was backed up past Chilliwack from #3 road 30km of stationary traffic all because some idiot was not looking where they were going.

Used to live up on the mountain in Abby, too busy for me now. Give me rural Ryder Lake any day.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Cheeks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by linz3112
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you never visited Canada before? Even for a holiday? How did you decide you wanted to move there? I don't mean to sound negative but moving your family to the other side of the world to a country you have never visited sounds like a huge risk - what if you don't like it? It is very expensive to pack up and move back!

With regard jobs and wages etc, maybe the website below will help to give you a general idea: www.jobbank.gc.ca

I would also recommend a look at the Wiki (blue bar at the top of the page) as this has loads of helpful info, including an article on job hunting.

HTH, any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Linz
x

Hi Linz

Thanks for your input, wiki up top has been very helpful. As for the job search i have looked at this already and to be honest i think it is a waste of time looking at these, ive been in the trade over 10 years and always feel you need to speak to people direct.

So it would be good if any bricklayers/builders could give me any old contacts that they use to work for, for me to speak to direct.

Many thanks for reply

Andy