Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all
Default Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Hi everyone,
We landed in Nova Scotia about a month ago and so far we are having a ball. I would love to share our experiences and am happy to offer advice to anyone out there who is trying to do the same. I am writing a blog about our time here, so feel free to visit my page, (I'm also on FB and Twitter).

Hope to hear from you soon
http://www.goingkamping.blogspot.com
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Kamping - newly landed in Nova Scotia

Welcome to BE.

All experience is welcome, glad its going well for you.
Hope you are not just here to plug the blog...
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Going Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to allGoing Kamping is a name known to all

No, of course I'm not here to just plug my blog - lol!!!

Just happy to help anyone who might need it

I only put my blog address on as there is more info on there than I can realistically post on here.

Just hope I can be of some help
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Just sat for half an hour and read your blog (even though I have other things I should be doing!) - it's great. It's really interesting - we did some RVing in Nevada and Arizona years ago before we had children and loved it. Our children are keen for us to do an RV holiday but I don't think it's going to be the same with the three of them (12, 9 and 5). It was also good to read about the walking trails, etc and find out what there is around our area that we didn't know about.
Thanks
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Glad you enjoyed my blog

You should definitely go for the RV trip! My little boy has loved it every time. Admittedly would be different with 3 kids, but I'm sure you would all have a great time. No TV, out in nature, no ties, just go where you want, when you want and sit around the camp fire - bliss!!!!

We have toured Nova Scotia pretty extensively and know of lots of nice places to visit if you're interested. We spent several days at a beautiful Provincial Park beach last summer called Rissers Beach. I could have stayed there for the rest of my life I loved it so much. Not too far from here either.

Happy day
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Going Kamping
You should definitely go for the RV trip!
Please don't. Or, if you must, stick to the motorways. There's really no need to make the rest of the motoring public suffer for your pleasures.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Can't see that RV's cause any problems, certainly not anywhere we've ever been. Each to their own of course, but I was under the impression this is a tolerant country and as camping is such a big deal here I'm surprised at your response. Of course there will always be bad drivers, but that goes for cars as well as RV's.

In the 20,000km we travelled across Ontario and Atlantic Canada we certainly did not experience any problems, we didn't hold anyone up as we travelled at the speed limit and we fitted perfectly in a standard parking space in our 25ft RV.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

we didn't hold anyone up as we travelled at the speed limit
Ha! You are a lumbering obstruction in your tenement on wheels. The trailer parks that support your indulgence are synonymous with white trashery. The concept of a corner of a foreign field being forever England doesn't mean turning the world into a replica of Canvey Island.

If you must have an RV, please keep it on your driveway, let the tyres go flat; limit the offence to those unfortunate enough to live next to you.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ha! You are a lumbering obstruction in your tenement on wheels. The trailer parks that support your indulgence are synonymous with white trashery. The concept of a corner of a foreign field being forever England doesn't mean turning the world into a replica of Canvey Island.

If you must have an RV, please keep it on your driveway, let the tyres go flat; limit the offence to those unfortunate enough to live next to you.
Oh give it a rest, those of us whove read your posts know you wouldnt blanch to overtake an RV on a blind corner at the crest of a hill with a full school bus coming the other way. There is no way an RV would slow you down significantly

Last edited by iaink; Jun 2nd 2011 at 5:29 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

You obviously have some issues dbd33!!!

Here in Canada every second person has an RV and camping is a massive business! I have never stayed in a camp site that is anything like a trailer park and there has certainly never been any trailer trash! Most are quiet wooded areas where you can be close to nature and just chill out - something I would suggest you need to do!

Not exactly the responses I was expecting from my first foray on the British Expat forum and I would suggest you might be clinging to stiff Britishness rather than taking on the more relaxed Canadian way of life! I'm assuming you have never camped or been in an RV so I would suggest, very politely that you "butt out" of a thread you know nothing about!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I do agree though that the idea that travelling at the speed limit doesnt slow those behind down is rather selfish.

My wife is doing school bus training at the moment, its driving me nuts. (She passed her test yesterday)

Speeding is strictly verboten when driving the big yellow busses, they have GPS tracking in them that can be checked online, so she is trying to reign in her normal tendencies while driving non chrome yellow vehicles too. I have to sit in the passengers seat and resist the temptation to interfere. Its killing me.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

You obviously have some issues dbd33!!!
Its all part of his charm, honest.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

All I meant is that they aren't slow. I wouldn't admit to speeding of course, but we certainly never had anyone itching to pass us. This is one of the reasons we came to Canada as there is so much less traffic than in the UK and from the places we've been no "road rage" issues. Admittedly we did tend to go off the beaten track so maybe that's why we didn't have any problems.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

You obviously have some issues!!!

Here in Canada every second person has an RV and camping is a massive business! I have never stayed in a camp site that is anything like a trailer park and there has certainly never been any trailer trash! Most are quiet wooded areas where you can be close to nature and just chill out - something I would suggest you need to do!

Not exactly the responses I was expecting from my first foray on the British Expat forum and I would suggest you might be clinging to stiff Britishness rather than taking on the more relaxed Canadian way of life! I'm assuming you have never camped or been in an RV so I would suggest, very politely that you "butt out" of a thread you know nothing about!

I have, in fact, camped extensively. Camping being something one does in a tent, rather than a bus. I suggest that it is impossible to be "close to nature" in a powered behemoth and further that a field full of large diesel engines powering air conditioners is necessarily not "quiet".

I'm sorry that you are so unaware of the suffering and misery you visit upon the public but can assure you that I have extensive experience of being stuck behind RVs as they struggle to deal with slight inclines in major roads. Worse, I've watched incredulously as the operators struggle to get them around bends in mountain roads, backing up repeatedly while a queue of frustrated would-be road users prays fervently that they'll go just a little too far and plunge into the abyss.

RV users are, I think, second only to the owners of Harley-Davidsons in selfishly bunging up the roads.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

All I meant is that they aren't slow. I wouldn't admit to speeding of course, but we certainly never had anyone itching to pass us. This is one of the reasons we came to Canada as there is so much less traffic than in the UK and from the places we've been no "road rage" issues. Admittedly we did tend to go off the beaten track so maybe that's why we didn't have any problems.
Youve not been to Toronto I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.