Going Home

Old Dec 26th 2016, 4:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

Originally Posted by Gozit
What airline/booking agent? I don't really care if I go on the milk run if i'm just flying by myself.
Expedia. Most commonly a connection to KLM.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
A cursory search gave me a flight price of $500.

Hardly ryanair or easyjet pricing.

For comparison. In january I'm flying from Glasgow to Sofia. GBP9.99 out and EUR14.99 return.
I flew to Sofia using Ryanair, my prices weren't that cheap, I think it was around £150. I don't think what you're quoting is a realistic figure which can always be obtained.

It stands to reason that if you live in a country that has a population double that of Canada in a fraction of the space then the positive is that flights will be cheaper. The clear negative is that you live in a country that has a population double that of Canada in a fraction of the space.

But lets be realistic about comparisons.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 7:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
A cursory search gave me a flight price of $500.

Hardly ryanair or easyjet pricing.

For comparison. In january I'm flying from Glasgow to Sofia. GBP9.99 out and EUR14.99 return.
That is the ticket price though, factor in airport charges, security charges, online check in fees, fuel surcharge and baggage charges, the final fare is nothing like £9.99.

You also get what you pay for. BA cost more than Ryanair, I know which I prefer to travel with.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

MatteoHV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weewifey
Hello! I am quite new to the site and have never posted before but thought our recent experience may help shed some light on a few things if you are thinking about moving to the Calgary area. We visited this area on holiday and loved it so worked really hard for 2 years to set up a job for my husband who is a mechanic and finally moved here a month ago from Scotland.

The place is lovely however we are finding everything so expensive! The cost of food is crazy, especially milk and cheese! Weekly papers provide details of the special offers in all of the local stores but who has time to shop in 5 different stores just to save some pennies!

Childcare is extortionate! We have 2 young kids and so far all of the enquiries we have made show that it is the norm for mum to stay home and look after the kids or for both parents to work all the hours to pay for a private nanny which can be about $2000 a month! Some childcare day homes have really long waiting lists and most pre-schools which would be the equivalent to nursery at home only provide 7 and a half hours care per week for $150-$200 a month.

We were under the impression that the working culture here allowed for a lot of family time however our experience so far shows that it's live to work here not work to live! I am aware that we have only been here a short time however it was apparent really quickly that we were much better off at home and we underestimated the support and childcare we had nearby.

Obviously this is a personal experience and we are fortunate enough to be in the position to go home.
Hi

well, we are planning to move out from UK, if you think that there is expensive, wait to came here.
Childminder is an average of 60 pound a day x child, and if you work 5 days a week are 300 per week, 1200 an avergae x 4 week calendar ( when 5 weeks than do the maths) and you have to provide nappies etc. Salary are not growing from 2008, inflation is rising fast, you can't buy a house unless you have at least 80k deposit and earn 100k x person x year....you have to rent a shoe box for 1200 as average per month plus bills.
This is London.
Of course you can stay out of it but outside london salaries a lower, less jobs, and with the brexit on its way, uncertanty is high.
But good luck.....
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 3:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MatteoHV
Hi

well, we are planning to move out from UK, if you think that there is expensive, wait to came here.
Childminder is an average of 60 pound a day x child, and if you work 5 days a week are 300 per week, 1200 an avergae x 4 week calendar ( when 5 weeks than do the maths) and you have to provide nappies etc. Salary are not growing from 2008, inflation is rising fast, you can't buy a house unless you have at least 80k deposit and earn 100k x person x year....you have to rent a shoe box for 1200 as average per month plus bills.
This is London.
Of course you can stay out of it but outside london salaries a lower, less jobs, and with the brexit on its way, uncertanty is high.
But good luck.....
Or, you could just do what we do and commute in to central London so you still get London salaries, but certainly don't need to earn £100k to buy a house!

Lots is more expensive in Canada, cost of living tends to even out for most.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 3:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
That is the ticket price though, factor in airport charges, security charges, online check in fees, fuel surcharge and baggage charges, the final fare is nothing like £9.99.

You also get what you pay for. BA cost more than Ryanair, I know which I prefer to travel with.
If you travel with hand luggage (we usually do unless going for a week or more) then you can get fares for that amount, never heard of a security charge or airport charge? But we've travelled to Europe for that before including everything.

BA seems to be heading more the way of Ryanair anyway with hand baggage only fares and now having to pay for food on short haul too. We try to fly BA where possible to get and use Avios points, but not sure we'll keep bothering as they're going to be much more expensive for a similar service to Ryanair if they carry on like that!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Or, you could just do what we do and commute in to central London so you still get London salaries, but certainly don't need to earn £100k to buy a house!

Lots is more expensive in Canada, cost of living tends to even out for most.
OK so most of the peoples do is commuting like me for about 3/4 hous a day, and with an average salary of 27k, last statistic shows that young generations will not be able to afford to buy, and renting is sky rocketing.
The average house price in zone 3 to 9 in london is 450k, so numbers says that average salary is 27k x 4/5 times what a bank lend to you is equalt to 135k.
The deposit for a house with a decent interest rates is 20%, so is equal to 90k ( am rounding up) plus duty stamp, solicitor etc. I live with my family in a 65sqm in 4, is ok and can't complain, no garden, garage etc, and it cost 245k, zone 3)
I am not expecting nothing cheap or easy in Canada, but after brexit things will be evenmore expensive and complicated.
Quality of life is equal to zero (unless rich or single). We as european been told we are not welcome anymore, so i think is time to move to a better enviroment. After 15 years of UK living, i can say that here is not that good anymore. And if a nurse have to work 2 jobs just for a decent living, something is wrong.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 6:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

OK so most of the peoples do is commuting like me for about 3/4 hous a day, and with an average salary of 27k, last statistic shows that young generations will not be able to afford to buy, and renting is sky rocketing.
The average house price in zone 3 to 9 in london is 450k, so numbers says that average salary is 27k x 4/5 times what a bank lend to you is equalt to 135k.
The deposit for a house with a decent interest rates is 20%, so is equal to 90k ( am rounding up) plus duty stamp, solicitor etc. I live with my family in a 65sqm in 4, is ok and can't complain, no garden, garage etc, and it cost 245k, zone 3)
I am not expecting nothing cheap or easy in Canada, but after brexit things will be evenmore expensive and complicated.
Quality of life is equal to zero (unless rich or single). We as european been told we are not welcome anymore, so i think is time to move to a better enviroment. After 15 years of UK living, i can say that here is not that good anymore. And if a nurse have to work 2 jobs just for a decent living, something is wrong.
Where in Canada are you going to go?
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where in Canada are you going to go?
British Columbia, Vancouver.
I already know is quite expensive, but if you go out from city centre, chances are there.
The same is for other city in Australia or New Zealand.
And the thing is that for the same money, there is more spacious houses or flats, bills are cheaper as Gas, electricity, petrol etc.
I am not expecting nothing for free, but i could see that with the same salary, at the end i would end up to save an average of 300 or more pounds per month. based on one salary.
I know a lot of people think is easy and cheap there, but i don't, but the quality of life is there.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I already know is quite expensive, but if you go out from city centre, chances are there.
And the thing is that for the same money, there is more spacious houses or flats, bills are cheaper as Gas, electricity, petrol etc.
I am not expecting nothing for free, but i could see that with the same salary, at the end i would end up to save an average of 300 or more pounds per month. based on one salary.
I know a lot of people think is easy and cheap there, but i don't, but the quality of life is there.
Well, good luck. I'd be interested to know how you get on.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

You may find moving to the north of England will be better cost of living wise. My house cost 117k, next door went for 90 ish.

I can understand if you're European you may feel unwelcome due to Brexit but not every British person feels like that, pretty much all of my friends voted remain.

Brexit is expected to reduce house prices in the UK and in London especially. I was reading an article which said the number of houses going for more than asking price in London has halved.

If you're truly going to Canada for a lower cost of living then I think Vancouver is a mistake. Especially if property prices or a long commute are you major concern.

My friends have moved to Vancouver from the north of the UK. They do love it there but they say overall the cost of living is similar but their quality of lives have improved.
However they've had 3 years in a property with all bills paid but this year lose the house as they gain PR (his company only pays for housing for temps). They've had 3 years of solid saving and have a house with years of equity to sell in the UK and their ability to find a property in a nice area close to the city is a concern.
The property prices are similar to London, it's either a costly house or a long commute.
If you want cheap property then look at the prairie provinces. But if you're moving for money then I wouldn't bother tbh. You should move because you think you will prefer the way of living.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Brexit is expected to reduce house prices in the UK and in London especially. I was reading an article which said the number of houses going for more than asking price in London has halved.
Brexit is apparently going to bring to world to a halt. Who knows what will happen until it is invoked. The housing market is out of control not just London, but Canada and Australia also.

Aside from a drop in house prices Brexit "could" kill the UK, but who truly knows. Do you have a crystal ball, everything at the moment is just speculation.

I keep reading articles that Australia is on the brink of a recession but since 2009 the housing market in Sydney and Melbourne has increased nearly 100%. Australia did not have its own GFC, but the writing is on the wall globally. Then again if I had a crystal ball, all the experts predictions are mute.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evets
Brexit is apparently going to bring to world to a halt. Who knows what will happen until it is invoked. The housing market is out of control not just London, but Canada and Australia also.

Aside from a drop in house prices Brexit "could" kill the UK, but who truly knows. Do you have a crystal ball, everything at the moment is just speculation.

I keep reading articles that Australia is on the brink of a recession but since 2009 the housing market in Sydney and Melbourne has increased nearly 100%. Australia did not have its own GFC, but the writing is on the wall globally. Then again if I had a crystal ball, all the experts predictions are mute.

All great but largely unrelated to what I wrote.

Maybe it wasn't clear but I was referring to the actual reduction in above asking price sales of property in London since the Brexit vote and how this is expected to lead to a reduction in property prices. I don't have a crystal ball, nor did I profess to, my comment was based on an article which was discussing the statistics of property sales.

The majority of what I was saying was that moving for economic reasons probably isn't a good idea, especially when swapping London for Vancouver.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I would suggest you start a new thread with your projected figures on so that those living in Vancouver can let you know if they're accurate or not. Most don't think life there is any cheaper than life in London, it tends to even out (i.e. Whilst petrol might be cheaper, driving longer distances and the huge cost of car insurance will mean it's a wash).

Re: your post above, if you're still talking about zones 3-9 that's still London in my book! No need to spend anywhere near £450k to get a house where I live, but I meant living outside London properly (i.e. surrounding counties, not just outer London) to save money.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would suggest you start a new thread with your projected figures on so that those living in Vancouver can let you know if they're accurate or not. Most don't think life there is any cheaper than life in London, it tends to even out (i.e. Whilst petrol might be cheaper, driving longer distances and the huge cost of car insurance will mean it's a wash).

Re: your post above, if you're still talking about zones 3-9 that's still London in my book! No need to spend anywhere near £450k to get a house where I live, but I meant living outside London properly (i.e. surrounding counties, not just outer London) to save money.
Yes, I think MatteoHV will be surprised how expensive it is elsewhere too. Most people be it in UK or Canada will tell you how much more expensive life has become compared to 15 years ago. UK is also not just London, just like Canada is not just Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.