Going Home

Old Jun 9th 2016, 2:34 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I went on a training course to Preston once. 1975.

I got a bus to Blackburn one evening for a match against Wrexham - there was no game in Preston while I was there. It was easy and cheap.
I met Snoop in Preston whilst working at the Royal Preston Hospital... and the rest is history
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
My thoughts exactly, however as I haven't yet emigrated I'll no doubt have to swallow the bitter pill of my own advice down the line!
Don't worry - we will remind you
Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Such a sweeping generalisation is as idiotic as 'Canada is cold'
I'm living in the UK. LOL. It's not a crap place. It depends which part of the UK you are living in. Canada is not perfect!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Don't worry - we will remind you
Thanks!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP....you have to make a decision with your family and circumstances in mind.

Do I think it may be a bit of a hasty decision having been here less then 2 months, yes, but do I understand it, yes! I second guessed our move for nearly a year, I didn't find a job for nearly a year.

Do you have to multiple grocery stores to get everything you want? yes some weeks or just stock up on those items that you can't get every where when you see them. It's a different way of shopping but once you get your head round it it's not that bad. I am a fickle shopper, even in the UK I wasn't a dedicated shopper in any one supermarket, I would switch between Morrisons, Asda, Tesco or Sainsburys depending on what part of town I wanted to go to.

I can't speak to the childcare issue as I don't have children but I can imagine it is causing a large financial and emotional strain on you and your OH.

I worked between 60 to 80 hours a week in the UK, I traveled all over the UK, and spent my last two years there doing a 2 1/2 commute each way to work, yes I had 35 days off a year plus bank holidays, but I always had to be 'paid out' each year as I could never take all of them as I was too busy.

I got a job here that was 40 hours a week, initially a 1 hour commute each way and 10 days holiday.....less pressurised job, less travelling, and I only have 10 days holiday plus stat days but I was still up as far as stress and home life.

Now after being with the company over 5 years, the job responsibilities have increased but still no where near what they were in the UK, for more money then I was making when I left, 15 days holiday a year, and I leave work and I get home 20 minutes later!

The grass is not greener over here it's just different. Is Canada perfect, no but then I would ask yourselves why you moved here from the UK? I moved to get out of the 'rat race', to be able to come home and not have to cook dinner at 8pm at night, and then 'just log in for half hour to do something', and have my OH look at me and be pee'd at me because I have yet again fallen asleep on the couch. Now I can come home, have dinner ready most nights by 6 and my evenings are spent doing things we want to do or not do.

I wish you and your family nothing but the best.

Last edited by Jukeboxwidow; Jun 13th 2016 at 6:19 pm. Reason: my grammar and spelling leave a little to be desired!
Old Jun 18th 2016, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
3 big cities? Liverpool and Manchester are the 2 big cities nearby but I can't think of any others. I know Wigan well since my wife has family there.
Warrington is a very large town and bigger by area and population than a lot of cities in the UK. It just lacks the civic status. But more importantly it has the best Rugby team
Old Jun 18th 2016, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

laddo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond reputeladdo73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weewifey
Hello! I am quite new to the site and have never posted before but thought our recent experience may help shed some light on a few things if you are thinking about moving to the Calgary area. We visited this area on holiday and loved it so worked really hard for 2 years to set up a job for my husband who is a mechanic and finally moved here a month ago from Scotland.

The place is lovely however we are finding everything so expensive! The cost of food is crazy, especially milk and cheese! Weekly papers provide details of the special offers in all of the local stores but who has time to shop in 5 different stores just to save some pennies!

Childcare is extortionate! We have 2 young kids and so far all of the enquiries we have made show that it is the norm for mum to stay home and look after the kids or for both parents to work all the hours to pay for a private nanny which can be about $2000 a month! Some childcare day homes have really long waiting lists and most pre-schools which would be the equivalent to nursery at home only provide 7 and a half hours care per week for $150-$200 a month.

We were under the impression that the working culture here allowed for a lot of family time however our experience so far shows that it's live to work here not work to live! I am aware that we have only been here a short time however it was apparent really quickly that we were much better off at home and we underestimated the support and childcare we had nearby.

Obviously this is a personal experience and we are fortunate enough to be in the position to go home.
We paid that in the UK, it was soul destroying to watch £1000 per month go out every month on childcare. I'm not a lover of the big city and have found that people in the cities live to work. I lived in London for 5 years and my life revolved around my job. In my experience if you want to get away from that then you have to get away from the city. Its probably not a UK versus Canada discussion but a city V the country discussion!
Old Aug 19th 2016, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

brent is an unknown quantity at this point

we done that in 2003/5 moved over in 2003 and couldnt get the job i wanted as a electrician so we moved back to the north east for 10 years and missed calgary so much missed the weather and the cars trucks and our way of life ended up worse off in the uk so we moved back in 2013 and have never looked back its much easier the second time as you know what you are going to my kids are older now lateteens and dont want to go back not even for a holiday so yes the first time is hared to adjust but the second time is a breeze
this time we moved to strathmore much better than calgary no rush hour and slower pace much more friendly as well

Last edited by brent; Aug 19th 2016 at 8:57 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

As someone who has ping ponged a bunch of times I say this to you:

If it's about money then ping ponging in less than three years is a big mistake. The cost of moving across the atlantic and then moving back again in a single year (I've done it) is insane.

Stick it out. It'll suck but you'll get numbed and used to it. Eventually you'll appreciate the things that are good about Canada.

Give it at least three years. Get your citizenship. THEN move back.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Sigh.

On this forum you *always* get those who have rose coloured glasses on telling people their experiences are wrong.

Here's the truth:
The UK is crap for certain reasons and Canada is crap for certain reasons.

The secret is to not expect your life to become wonderful by moving. It won't. It will suck. It will suck in different ways than it does back home but it definitely will suck. And it will be expensive too. It's not cheap to move across the atlantic.

When the economy is good I prefer Canada to the UK because it's less crowded and the standard of living is good.

When the economy is crap I prefer the UK because holidays are cheap in the UK and I can get away from it in a way that I cannot when the economy is crap in Canada because flights are ridiculously expensive here (no ryanair or easyjet or equivalent).

But *don't* let anyone deny your experiences. There are plenty of rose coloured glasses people on this forum as well as plenty of cynics.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 6:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
When the economy is crap I prefer the UK because holidays are cheap in the UK and I can get away from it in a way that I cannot when the economy is crap in Canada because flights are ridiculously expensive here (no ryanair or easyjet or equivalent).
What about Jet Blue?
Old Dec 25th 2016, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about Jet Blue?
A cursory search gave me a flight price of $500.

Hardly ryanair or easyjet pricing.

For comparison. In january I'm flying from Glasgow to Sofia. GBP9.99 out and EUR14.99 return.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 6:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A cursory search gave me a flight price of $500.

Hardly ryanair or easyjet pricing.

For comparison. In january I'm flying from Glasgow to Sofia. GBP9.99 out and EUR14.99 return.

It is not as cheap as Ryanair but, for example, there are lots of return flights from Buffalo to Florida for less than $300. It is a discount airline offering flights at prices most people can afford.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
It is not as cheap as Ryanair but, for example, there are lots of return flights from Buffalo to Florida for less than $300. It is a discount airline offering flights at prices most people can afford.
AND it's STILL not what I would consider to be cheap. $300 is huge when it's multipled by four. 25 quid multiplied by four is only 100 quid for four people.

And that's NOT from a Canadian airport or to a Canadian airport, it's a US to US destination which of course there are cheap flights for.

If you happen to live a couple hours away from a US border AND there is an airport there AND you're going to a US destination AND you can afford $1200 for four people then yeah.

But it's STILL not the same or anywhere near close to ryanair or easyjet.

Just saying. Apples to apples and all that.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 9:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

AND it's STILL not what I would consider to be cheap. $300 is huge when it's multipled by four. 25 quid multiplied by four is only 100 quid for four people.

And that's NOT from a Canadian airport or to a Canadian airport, it's a US to US destination which of course there are cheap flights for.

If you happen to live a couple hours away from a US border AND there is an airport there AND you're going to a US destination AND you can afford $1200 for four people then yeah.

But it's STILL not the same or anywhere near close to ryanair or easyjet.

Just saying. Apples to apples and all that.
If you live in Canada then you get used to flying from US airports whether you're going to the US or elsewhere; it's rarely a reasonable option to fly from Canada. I don't see that as a problem, if you're in Vancouver or Toronto then the US airport is likely as convenient as the Canadian one. Still, yes, fares are cheaper in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.