Going Home

Old Jun 7th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

Originally Posted by Canuck74
The UK is a dump! LOL
Such a sweeping generalisation is as idiotic as 'Canada is cold'
Old Jun 7th 2016, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

And Australia is hot and the lucky country!
Old Jun 7th 2016, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dal_Boy24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weewifey
Thank you for all of your replies and 'insight', I appreciate it and do take on board some of the comments. But geez, I thought the purpose of these forums was to provide people in similar circumstances with support, not to mock or belittle. If my family and I decide to move back to the UK after a day, a week, a month or a year, that's entirely up to us and we will make the decision based on what is right for us.

I wasn't looking for approval from anyone to move home. We know what is good for our family and what will make us happy, if we know something is not right for us why delay the inevitable? I know many of you think it is far too soon, that's your opinion, but again it's our choice.

I have read a number of posts on here by people still in the UK and asking for information on living in the Calgary area so the reason for my initial post was just to make them aware that the cost of living is high.

I appreciate a number of people say they are better off here than in the UK, I find this hard to believe but I suppose that depends on occupation and what part of the UK you came from etc. I have spoken to a number of our neighbours, some Canadian and from other parts of Canada and some other expats, the consensus from them is that Alberta is one of the most expensive provinces to live in, with some of them saying they have travelled to other places for services such as dental care because it is so expensive.

I really admire those who have given up their jobs to look after the kids until school age, which here is obviously much later than in the UK but not everyone has this option. To all the people still in the UK and looking to move here, it is a beautiful country, lovely people and better weather most of the time, but turns out the grass is the same colour!!!
Hi Weewifey

I totally agree with what you're saying, having now been here 4 months I too along with my wife am not enjoying it here in Canada....

To ALL those people who say you should have compared first and done this and that....I'm sorry but you're talking to someone here who has visited Canada 10 x's previously and knew what the country was about but yes still wasn't prepared for the green grass....

Public transport here is terrible, I know it's not a small island but come on two and half hours on public transport to travel 40 kms!

Food here is expensive no matter what anyone says.....4 apples the other day cost $3.00! Are they made of GOLD?!

It seems focus here is money, money and money......I know UK isn't all great trust me I know the island is overloaded, crime is up and rising, the govt really doesn't know what it's doing......but still it's better than this place.

Does Canada look good and nice....of course it does....is it better in the long run in say 15-20 yrs compared to UK of course it is.....BUT doesn't mean that we can't miss the UK!

I posted on my own thread that I created but 4 months on and no jobs for either of us.....yes depressing as hell and for all the people who think we didn't research or that anyone who says they wish to go back after a short space of time....that's their choice....SIMPLES!!!

Life isn't easy.....

Dal
Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dal_Boy24
Hi Weewifey

I totally agree with what you're saying, having now been here 4 months I too along with my wife am not enjoying it here in Canada....

To ALL those people who say you should have compared first and done this and that....I'm sorry but you're talking to someone here who has visited Canada 10 x's previously and knew what the country was about but yes still wasn't prepared for the green grass....

Public transport here is terrible, I know it's not a small island but come on two and half hours on public transport to travel 40 kms!

Food here is expensive no matter what anyone says.....4 apples the other day cost $3.00! Are they made of GOLD?!

It seems focus here is money, money and money......I know UK isn't all great trust me I know the island is overloaded, crime is up and rising, the govt really doesn't know what it's doing......but still it's better than this place.

Does Canada look good and nice....of course it does....is it better in the long run in say 15-20 yrs compared to UK of course it is.....BUT doesn't mean that we can't miss the UK!

I posted on my own thread that I created but 4 months on and no jobs for either of us.....yes depressing as hell and for all the people who think we didn't research or that anyone who says they wish to go back after a short space of time....that's their choice....SIMPLES!!!

Life isn't easy.....

Dal
What is said on here cannot help one 'enjoy' things any more, or less. Many of us have been through anxieties of moving and comparing one life to another. Over time that fades for those that stick it out. Three years seems to be the consensus for settling down amongst those I have talked to.

Comparing prices and cost of living does not really help any in my view. Last time I was back in the UK, everything seemed so expensive there compared to what we are used to in Canada. Not as big a difference as 20 years ago, but still a difference.

We each have our own perception. It does not matter how many times one comes as a visitor, living somewhere on a permanent basis is very different.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Good job you're here to correct everyone

Public transport here is terrible...
Where's 'here'?
Transit is very good in this town. I've heard people say it's pretty good in other places too.

Maybe where you live they are. I buy 10lb bags for $6 or $7 at the local store. They're not gold but nice enough.

Originally Posted by Aviator
We each have our own perception. It does not matter how many times one comes as a visitor, living somewhere on a permanent basis is very different.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Such a sweeping generalisation is as idiotic as 'Canada is cold'
Well, at least that generalisation is true.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 9:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Well, at least that generalisation is true.

Except when it's not of course. I used to think it got "a bit sticky" in England when it was humid. But I never walked out of a store there and found my glasses steamed up outside.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Weewifey

Life isn't easy.....

Dal
On the exchange rate $3 is expensive but it's not actually that far from UK prices.

I live in Wigan, between Manchester, Preston, Liverpool and Warrington. 3 big cities and multiple large towns surround me. I'm a self employed contractor and every time I get a new contract I look at my public transport options. Every time its significantly more expensive and would take at least 3 times the amount of time. Inner city public transport in the UK is pretty good.

Going from Wigan to Warrington on the train is ridiculously expensive and difficult, my last contract would have required two buses, two trains, a 1 mile walk and parking costs and that's to a major business centre in Warrington. Not to mention changing from Greater Manchester transport to Merseyside and so I'd have to pay for a second monthly ticket for the train.

Wigan to Manchester at prime time on the train is £8/$14CAD and they may as well be cattle wagons, in fact, cattle actually have more restrictions on transportation than humans. If we were cattle, trains at prime time would actually be illegal! It's not often I wish I was a cow but sometimes I moo.. sorry do...

Anyway, rant over.

From what I've read and talking to friends who have emigrated. A place is never better. It's just places are different and sometimes those differences suit you better and lead to a happier life for you which really is what we're all looking for.

I hope you find happiness in your new home Dal Boy.. I hope you pay your income tax and VAT too... and offer some money back and a guarantee...
Old Jun 8th 2016, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Except when it's not of course. I used to think it got "a bit sticky" in England when it was humid. But I never walked out of a store there and found my glasses steamed up outside.
OK So its warm for 2.7 months of the year.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Wigan, between Manchester, Preston, Liverpool and Warrington. 3 big cities and multiple large towns surround me.
3 big cities? Liverpool and Manchester are the 2 big cities nearby but I can't think of any others. I know Wigan well since my wife has family there.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
OK So its warm for 2.7 months of the year.
A lot longer than that around coastal regions. And of course depends what ones definition of warm and cold is. Minus 10 in January on the coast is cold, in Nunavit it is warm.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read and talking to friends who have emigrated. A place is never better. It's just places are different and sometimes those differences suit you better and lead to a happier life for you which really is what we're all looking for.

This is a great description of the emigrating from the UK to Canada experience. Neither country is a bad place to live, but they are different. Unfortunately you have to take the good and bad bits of whichever country you choose, you can't cherry pick. There will always be things that you will miss about the one that you have left. To be successful at this immigration thing I think you have to have a mindset that focuses on what you have, rather than what you left behind, and for me the best way to do that is not to constantly compare the two places.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
3 big cities? Liverpool and Manchester are the 2 big cities nearby but I can't think of any others. I know Wigan well since my wife has family there.
Well I listed 3 cities and but I guess you not being able to 'think' of the third big city is your way of contesting that Preston is a big city, which I guess relatively speaking it isn't. Either way, the point stands, public transport in a town situated between 2 big cities, 1 small city and multiple large towns should be pretty good and affordable.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
This is a great description of the emigrating from the UK to Canada experience. Neither country is a bad place to live, but they are different. Unfortunately you have to take the good and bad bits of whichever country you choose, you can't cherry pick. There will always be things that you will miss about the one that you have left. To be successful at this immigration thing I think you have to have a mindset that focuses on what you have, rather than what you left behind, and for me the best way to do that is not to constantly compare the two places.
My thoughts exactly, however as I haven't yet emigrated I'll no doubt have to swallow the bitter pill of my own advice down the line!
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:21 pm
Oscar nominated

...Preston is a big city, which I guess relatively speaking it isn't. Either way, the point stands, public transport in a town situated between 2 big cities, 1 small city and multiple large towns should be pretty good and affordable.
I went on a training course to Preston once. 1975.

I got a bus to Blackburn one evening for a match against Wrexham - there was no game in Preston while I was there. It was easy and cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.