Going Home

Old May 26th 2016, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, yes, criminal laws, but Health and Safety regulations? (Note that I think H&S regulations for white collar workers are, by and large, nonsense on the ground anyway; I won't prosecute if you wear Brut).
Under UK law if you are travelling for business reasons the health and safety act of the UK applies regardless of where you are travelling. Your company has a duty of care to you under UK law. This does not change just because you are outside of the UK, to do so would expose those travelling to huge risks. Also remember than a breach of UK health and safety law can result in a criminal prosecution brought by the HSE.

In general governments can and do apply legislation to companies based on the jurisdiction in which the company is registered. look at the new anti- bribery and corruption legislation i.e. it doesn't matter where you break the law if your company is registered in the UK you can be prosecuted under UK law.
Old May 26th 2016, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
It appears on here that a lot of people are in industries that give a lot of time off and must give good enough pay to have a lifestyle that they want - I wish I could find something like that, but i've had literally zero replies to over 200 resumes sent out

We both live to work, rather than the other way around, I get 10 holidays a year, and am expected to work stat days if i'm scheduled, she gets 10 days plus stats.

I'm going back to the UK for 33 days holiday right off the bat, plus shorter shifts and better working conditions...even some of the best jobs in the Calgary area don't seem to offer that!
Yep, totally agree. I wouldn't even think about moving abroad if 30 days holiday was normal here. Fact is, people I know with 10+ years in the industry (I.T.) are only getting 3 weeks and think that's good. If I build my career in the UK or Europe instead, by that point I could be up to 5 weeks or more, plus better employee rights and care standards than Canada by far.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:07 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yep, totally agree. I wouldn't even think about moving abroad if 30 days holiday was normal here. Fact is, people I know with 10+ years in the industry (I.T.) are only getting 3 weeks and think that's good. If I build my career in the UK or Europe instead, by that point I could be up to 5 weeks or more, plus better employee rights and care standards than Canada by far.
Or set up your own business and set your own holidays. Not easily done but the good things in life never are
Old May 26th 2016, 3:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Or set up your own business and set your own holidays.
Anyone that believes that will soon get a reality check! I had more time off when I had a real job.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
It is going to vary industry by industry though and you have to take into account variations in salaries across the world. For example in my industry Canadian salaries are much higher than they are in the UK and the norm is 15 days holiday + stats (10 in BC). the salary increase more than makes up for the loss of 8 days holiday (UK 25 days plus stats (8)).

I once received some very good advice that if you are relying on your holiday time to keep sane you are living wrong and need to amend your life wholesale.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I once received some very good advice that if you are relying on your holiday time to keep sane you are living wrong and need to amend your life wholesale.
Pah! That's daft advice IMO. I love to travel with my family, and my children love experiencing new countries/cultures/food, and we go without on other things so that we can have amazing adventures in different countries. I couldn't do that if I/hubby didn't have decent holiday time. Thankfully hubby gets 30 days plus stats, and I work for myself so can set my own holidays.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 26th 2016 at 3:38 pm.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
...we go without on other things so that we can have amazing adventures in different countries....
Swallows and Amazons on tour?
Old May 26th 2016, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Swallows and Amazons on tour?
Nah, it's Swallows and Amazons at home most of the time, we like to live a little when away!
Old May 26th 2016, 3:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's always been my impression that the nature of the jobs of many "on here" are not the norm. Some may have been head-hunted or their employers want them in Canada while others are so highly qualified/hugely experienced that they are sought after with not many Canadians qualified. This does, after all, mean they can get through all the immigration hoops. Consequently they can pretty much write their own employment conditions. ...
Originally Posted by weewifey
If you could point me in the direction of the companies which offer 'business class flights; business trips all over the globe, luxury living and other stuff' I would be most obliged!!
A new thread has just started. Will be interesting to see what develops.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Anyone that believes that will soon get a reality check! I had more time off when I had a real job.
Likewise. I work more hours now than I ever did working for an employer too.
Old May 26th 2016, 4:03 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Glasgow I didn't notice a big jump in food prices, yes cheese is expensive but.....
Old May 26th 2016, 4:04 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Yes, sometimes but as I am sure that you know Aviator, often not. I have plenty of patients who run small and indeed larger businesses and they have plenty of time off zipping down to Palm Springs for golf etc It partly depends obviously on the business but it is absolutely certainly achievable.
Old May 26th 2016, 4:06 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Likewise. I work more hours now than I ever did working for an employer too.
I get that Siouxie but you need a reasonable size workforce to keep things going whilst you are off having fun
Old May 26th 2016, 4:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I get that Siouxie but you need a reasonable size workforce to keep things going whilst you are off having fun
As a workforce of 1, not much chance of either of those!
Old May 26th 2016, 4:51 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Siouxie
As a workforce of 1, not much chance of either of those!
Tis sadly true! I wasn't referring to the solo business operators .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.