Going Home

Old May 25th 2016, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That made me smile.
The winter we were there, if it was socked-in with an inversion (common in Kelowna), it was an unpleasant kind of cold.

Getting out of the truck for a pee on the Okanagan Connector at -32C wasn't pleasant either. Me, not the wife!

Or driving the Coq in the dark in those conditions or a snowstorm. Come in Jamie Davies....

My Land Rover didn't need a block heater, it needed a BATTERY heater....

Last edited by withabix; May 25th 2016 at 9:57 pm.
Old May 25th 2016, 10:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Getting out of the truck for a pee on the Okanagan Connector at -32C wasn't pleasant either. Me, not the wife!
Old May 25th 2016, 10:14 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The winter we were there, if it was socked-in with an inversion (common in Kelowna), it was an unpleasant kind of cold.

Or driving the Coq in the dark in those conditions or a snowstorm. Come in Jamie Davies....

My Land Rover didn't need a block heater, it needed a BATTERY heater....
You big Jessie- I thought that you were made of stronger stuff! That is the problem of driving a Defender, crappy heating system, you may have well just lit a candle for warmth. Having said that I personnaly would fly if I needed to get to Vanvegas in the Winter.
Old May 26th 2016, 1:19 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

And I would spell personally correctly too
Old May 26th 2016, 1:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Every corporation I've worked for, if your work related flight is over a certain length (4 hours say) you're entitled to book as business class.
I think that's rather a waste of company funds, economy will do. I don't imagine any H&S bollocks can apply as, when flying, one is not in a fixed jurisdiction.
Old May 26th 2016, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

The creator/owner of IKEA supposedly always flies economy class and I believe I once read that the same rule is applied to all employees of the corporation. If employees wanted to fly business class then the fare difference was on their dime.
Old May 26th 2016, 2:52 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
when flying, one is not in a fixed jurisdiction.
You are in the jurisdiction of the register the aircraft is on. Canadian registered - Canadian regs and laws apply when in the air. Some international laws apply too.

Otherwise you'd have all sorts of shit going on when an a/c is in international airspace.
Old May 26th 2016, 2:57 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
The creator/owner of IKEA supposedly always flies economy class and I believe I once read that the same rule is applied to all employees of the corporation. If employees wanted to fly business class then the fare difference was on their dime.
It's really a form of managerial bullying. Whether the owner flies economy is a matter for him after all it's his choice, but he has a responsibility to ensure that his employees are treated with respect and in so many cases they have no choice.

Salaried employees may have a statement like 'should expect to travel abroad with overnight stays' and this can be exploited by some to ensure substandard accomodation and economy flights for long distance travel. I have witnessed many struggles between employees who have been forced, against written company procedures, to endure repeated long distance flights in cattle class.

Long distance travel for work, with its endless boring transfers in numerous airports, endless unexpected delays, nights in lonely hotels and anonymous contacts is not an enjoyable employment experience.

I knew of one technical service representative who became indispensible to his company. His area of support covered the entire globe. Over the years his extent of flying earned him a lifetime platinum card with KLM. Yet, his MD, flying business class wherever he went, denied this employee business class travel even though it was clearly stated in company procedures that flights over so many hours allowed use of business class travel. I never failed to wonder why he stayed with the company.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:01 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's rather a waste of company funds, economy will do. I don't imagine any H&S bollocks can apply as, when flying, one is not in a fixed jurisdiction.
I don't know about Canadian law but in UK if you travel for work then UK health and safety regulations apply and your employer is meant to make sure that your working environment complies with those regulations.
Old May 26th 2016, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Warning - thread drift😉
Old May 26th 2016, 3:10 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Are you weeping tears for the shareholders?

I'm more than happy to stay at home with my friends and family thanks. Want me to cart all over the globe for your profit? Then you'll ensure it's done with some degree of comfort.

That said, after a while, even the business class flights, airport lounges, 5 star hotels, fancy restaurants etc don't make up for the lost time with family and friends. I used to spend 3 weeks out of 4 away from home travelling all over for work. Never again.
Old May 26th 2016, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

WeeWifey.
I'm still in the UK and looking to Calgary. I appreciate your post because it has highlighted your experience and it's good to read experiences from people who haven't liked it and their reasoning why. I'll definitely be making detailed notes on costs for comparison when I take my trip.

Thank you and I hope you and your family find happiness back home.
Old May 26th 2016, 11:33 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bert07
I could write this exact post except it's been 5months for us and I'm a few hours north of you in St. Albert.

Living costs are transpiring to be lots more than uk for us and we are down to 1 salary. I
can't find a job, childcare for 2 is going to be 2-2500 plus after school for #3 limits what I can apply for.
I hate not having a job and it's making home life pretty hellish because I am feeling so demoralized, unworthy and useless.

I totally get your frustrations with grocery shopping - I hate it now, used to quite enjoy it. And I resent that I pay a lot for poor quality fresh food (I know, seasons and transport mean it's not going to be the same as uk before anyone jumps on me).

I am finding acquaintances to be quite rude and unfriendly, my neighbour told me last week they were "glad the previous tenants had left, they should have gone back to the trailer park where they belonged" - I just can't get on with comments such as this being acceptable to make.

The local kids are culturally much more abrasive and brash, and my kids really hate that, they will regularly come off the playground and ask to go home because other kids are pushing/not taking turns/saying horrible things- thy probably aren't, just culture deems it acceptable here but not in the uk.

I guess, I'm really finding the culture differences so big (and It has blindsided me) that I'm having to compromise on my own views and morals and that's something I am finding very hard to accept.

As you can probably tell, I am struggling to find any positives about living here currently! I'm sure there are some but for now I'm still wallowing in what I have lost.

If you can stick it out for a few months at least I really would, my rollercoaster did improve for a few months in the middle but am now back down and will be needing to decide on my fate in the next 6 weeks or so (other elements at play mean a time limit forcing this). Feel free to pm me and we can wallow together!

Worth checking in on the moving back to the uk section.
Your post struck a very large chord with me! I wish you lived nearer, as I'd definitely be up for a wallow I don't detest Canada, and I quite like some aspects of living here, but it is a very different culture, and I'm not sure that it's one that I will ever wish to feel at home in. Certainly, for all manner of reasons I feel we chose the wrong Province, but will stick it out till my son finishes high school.

Wee wifey we all of us respect your need to do the best for your family. I think those of us who suggested that you try it for a bit longer were only remembering what an awful great battle it was to get here in the first place. Getting my kid, dog and cats and home here nearly cost me my sanity....and I chose 'the quick way' and married a Canadian! How some of the posters on here ever have the true grit that is needed to get here, regularly amazes me

Working practices here frequently suck and there is little or no workers protection and the vacation time is risible.

If you do decide to go back, very best of luck, hope all goes well
Old May 26th 2016, 12:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You are in the jurisdiction of the register the aircraft is on. Canadian registered - Canadian regs and laws apply when in the air. Some international laws apply too.

Otherwise you'd have all sorts of shit going on when an a/c is in international airspace.
Well, yes, criminal laws, but Health and Safety regulations? (Note that I think H&S regulations for white collar workers are, by and large, nonsense on the ground anyway; I won't prosecute if you wear Brut).

Last edited by dbd33; May 26th 2016 at 12:10 pm.
Old May 26th 2016, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Are you weeping tears for the shareholders?
I side with them over pampered, uncommitted, employees, yes.

That said, after a while, even the business class flights, airport lounges, 5 star hotels, fancy restaurants etc don't make up for the lost time with family and friends. I used to spend 3 weeks out of 4 away from home travelling all over for work. Never again.
See, never happy. I was glad, thrilled, to be pretzeled in the back of aeroplanes for days on end for the good of the corporation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.