Going Home

Old May 25th 2016, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

I think many of us on this thread think a month is a very short space of time after arriving to be now deciding to go back after such a big move. But of course it's up to you.

I still believe you are experiencing culture shock and many of your feelings are quite "normal" because of the big changes. On the other hand, that's just a label and obviously you can go home any time. I tend to suspect that if you don't give it a bit longer, you might well end up regretting moving back so soon.

I have a friend who works in a settlement office and they told me in their experience it takes about two years for most people to settle down.

S
Old May 25th 2016, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

weewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
It appears on here that a lot of people are in industries that give a lot of time off and must give good enough pay to have a lifestyle that they want - I wish I could find something like that, but i've had literally zero replies to over 200 resumes sent out

We both live to work, rather than the other way around, I get 10 holidays a year, and am expected to work stat days if i'm scheduled, she gets 10 days plus stats.

I'm going back to the UK for 33 days holiday right off the bat, plus shorter shifts and better working conditions...even some of the best jobs in the Calgary area don't seem to offer that!
Haggis we are in the same position, my husband can go back to a job in the UK which offers 40hours a week, overtime IF he wants it and 32 days holiday a year! I feel like I am missing something but I have no idea how family life can be better here when you drop 20 days holiday and work more hours! Sorry to hear you're returning too but wish you luck with it all.
Old May 25th 2016, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sorry to be going back, I'm actually very happy about it! Just hope my Canadian girlfriend likes it enough to make it a permanent move

I'd defo give it more time though, I've been here for four years and it's only been the last 3-4 months that i've strongly felt that I wanted to move home...the first 6 months I would have moved home at the drop of a hat!
Old May 25th 2016, 7:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weewifey
Haggis we are in the same position, my husband can go back to a job in the UK which offers 40hours a week, overtime IF he wants it and 32 days holiday a year! I feel like I am missing something but I have no idea how family life can be better here when you drop 20 days holiday and work more hours! Sorry to hear you're returning too but wish you luck with it all.
Presumably you were aware of the holiday/vacation standards here before you came? https://work.alberta.ca/employment-s...ation-pay.html I agree though, it is a shock to suddenly have such a huge reduction in holiday entitlement - but there are a lot of Statutory holidays as well on top and some also negotiate for longer vacations. As to working hours, perhaps find a different company that doesn't request that your husband work 60 hours a week - or is he tied to a TWP?

Old May 25th 2016, 7:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
We originally landed in Kelowna...My wife hated it there...the winter was too cold...
That made me smile
It appears on here that a lot of people are in industries that give a lot of time off and must give good enough pay to have a lifestyle that they want...
Not sure if that's the industry/business or the actual individual.

It's always been my impression that the nature of the jobs of many "on here" are not the norm. Some may have been head-hunted or their employers want them in Canada while others are so highly qualified/hugely experienced that they are sought after with not many Canadians qualified. This does, after all, mean they can get through all the immigration hoops.

Consequently they can pretty much write their own employment conditions.

Okay, I may be exaggerating a bit but there are an awful lot of very good employee health benefits referred to; business class flights; business trips all over the globe, luxury living and other stuff of which your average Canadian can only dream.

It's certainly not the lifestyle of most Canadians.
Old May 25th 2016, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

weewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond reputeweewifey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Presumably you were aware of the holiday/vacation standards here before you came? https://work.alberta.ca/employment-s...ation-pay.html I agree though, it is a shock to suddenly have such a huge reduction in holiday entitlement - but there are a lot of Statutory holidays as well on top and some also negotiate for longer vacations. As to working hours, perhaps find a different company that doesn't request that your husband work 60 hours a week - or is he tied to a TWP?

We could probably deal with the holidays if my husband only worked the 40hours he was employed to but we couldn't have foreseen the change of ownership when we arrived and If another job was an option we may stay longer but yes tied to the TWP with a new boss who is not forthcoming at assisting with residency status.
Old May 25th 2016, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That made me smile

Okay, I may be exaggerating a bit but there are an awful lot of very good employee health benefits referred to; business class flights; business trips all over the globe, luxury living and other stuff of which your average Canadian can only dream.

It's certainly not the lifestyle of most Canadians.

If you could point me in the direction of the companies which offer 'business class flights; business trips all over the globe, luxury living and other stuff' I would be most obliged!!
Old May 25th 2016, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sorry to be going back, I'm actually very happy about it! Just hope my Canadian girlfriend likes it enough to make it a permanent move

I'd defo give it more time though, I've been here for four years and it's only been the last 3-4 months that i've strongly felt that I wanted to move home...the first 6 months I would have moved home at the drop of a hat!
Just curious as to why you think we should give it more time? Judging by your own experience we would be delaying the inevitable? If we go home sooner rather than later my son can go back to the nursery he was at and then go on to school next year with his friends, rather than wait and potentially up-root him again!
Old May 25th 2016, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

If you could point me in the direction of the companies which offer 'business class flights; business trips all over the globe, luxury living and other stuff' I would be most obliged!!
It sounds luxurious but really isn't. As someone who travels regularly (and to some utter s holes) for my job constantly changing time zones and living in hotels is worse for fatigue than working a 60 hour week in a single time zone.

The main reason most companies use business class is due to the duty of care they owe their employees in relation to H&S and fit to work on the other end.
Old May 25th 2016, 7:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We could probably deal with the holidays if my husband only worked the 40hours he was employed to but we couldn't have foreseen the change of ownership when we arrived and If another job was an option we may stay longer but yes tied to the TWP with a new boss who is not forthcoming at assisting with residency status.
Hmmmm that's not good!

If you did decide to stay a while longer, you could consider applying for Permanent Residency through Express Entry. As you already have a job contract / offer with (presumably) an LMIA that would certainly help with the points for the pool.

something turns up to make life better/easier for you soon.
Old May 25th 2016, 8:17 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
It sounds luxurious but really isn't. As someone who travels regularly (and to some utter s holes) for my job constantly changing time zones and living in hotels is worse for fatigue than working a 60 hour week in a single time zone.

The main reason most companies use business class is due to the duty of care they owe their employees in relation to H&S and fit to work on the other end.
I quite agree. I've been doing the travel thing for many years.

Plane, hotel, some office, hotel, plane.

I went to Pisa once. Never saw the leaning Tower. Arrived late at night and left straight after my early-morning meeting.
Old May 25th 2016, 9:25 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Weewifey

What were the reasons you chose to move to Canada in the first place? Did you sell up to do it?
Old May 25th 2016, 9:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I went to Pisa once. Never saw the leaning Tower. Arrived late at night and left straight after my early-morning meeting.
I understand the need to be fresh for a meeting and business class would help - depending on the journey. Not sure that particular journey would have helped that much.

If I was the employer I might be looking at sending my rep a day or two earlier to allow for resting tine.

Hotel for 2 or 3 nights instead of 1, high class call-girl/gigolo, cocaine and massage might save the company a considerable sum.
Old May 25th 2016, 9:45 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I understand the need to be fresh for a meeting and business class would help - depending on the journey. Not sure that particular journey would have helped that much.

If I was the employer I might be looking at sending my rep a day or two earlier to allow for resting tine.

Hotel for 2 or 3 nights instead of 1, high class call-girl/gigolo, cocaine and massage might save the company a considerable sum.
Every corporation I've worked for, if your work related flight is over a certain length (4 hours say) you're entitled to book as business class. Otherwise it's economy. Sucks for Calgary as most of corporate Canada is within 4 hours of YYC.
Old May 25th 2016, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I get to fly business class is when it's on my own money (well, miles usually).

I can only dream of some of the business class jet-setting that I see on Facebook for some of my friends who work in desirable places like Baghdad or Basra...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.