Going Home

Old May 25th 2016, 2:31 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

I really wish you well but you seem to have made your mind already. You say that you researched well. Surely part of that would have been costing up childcare before you moved sticks over the ocean? Am I missing something here?
Old May 25th 2016, 2:38 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 1 month... that has to be some kind of record doesn't it?

Would working part-time be an option for a few months until the youngest is old enough to be in daycare?

You'll find when they are of school age, it gets cheaper. No day care costs.

Last edited by Photoplex; May 25th 2016 at 2:42 am.
Old May 25th 2016, 2:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weewifey
Thank you for your reply plastic. We are not suffering from homesickness and did carry out lots of research prior to coming out here. We have friends and family here who enjoy living here but they are happy to have one parent stay at home with the kids until they attend school. I'm afraid I enjoy working and would like to continue being a working mother however the childcare options are very limited, and expensive.
If you have friends and family here, would having an arrangement with one/some of them for childcare (particularly if they are staying at home already with children) be an option?

Have you ascertained that you would be able to get a full time job without difficulty - or, as someone else suggested, would part-time work initially perhaps work?

It seems a shame to give up on what was your dream ..

Last edited by Siouxie; May 25th 2016 at 3:04 am.
Old May 25th 2016, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you the best, whatever happens, sincerely.

Only you & your family can decide what's best for you & yours, however I will echo OPs on the thread who have said 1 month is a quite (VERY) short time to make a comparison/decision.

is this your first overseas move?
Old May 25th 2016, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you have friends and family here, would having an arrangement with one/some of them for childcare (particularly if they are already staying at home already with children) be an option?

Have you ascertained that you would be able to get a full time job without difficulty - or, as someone else suggested, would part-time work initially perhaps work?

It seems a shame to give up on what was your dream ..

Last edited by Shirtback; May 25th 2016 at 3:03 am.
Old May 25th 2016, 3:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Milk and cheese have always been more expensive than the UK.
This could be changing with the Canada EU trade agreement.
Old May 25th 2016, 3:41 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Childcare spaces are out there in Calgary if you really do your research - the number of kids at our daycare has recently dropped sharply due to a lot of parents who work in oil and gas being laid off. This is happening all over the City from what I've heard. If you were looking for a space this time last year there would have been a waiting list.

Average prices are around the $1,000 mark or more for a licensed daycare, and it does decrease a little bit as the kids get older. Registered dayhomes can be cheaper - I have heard of some that charge less than $1,000 but you need to ask around and get referrals and recommendations.

We currently pay around $450 per month for before and after school care with teacher training days and spring break thrown in for our school aged kid.

Live-in nannies are cheaper than paying for two kids in full time daycare and you might have the added plus of getting a bit of housework done in the bargain. Might be worth looking into this maybe?

We both work full time with two kids. We have no family here. We are very lucky as our employers don't make us feel guilty if we have to leave work to get sick kids - that's very important when looking for an employer for us immigrants - as you mentioned there isn't that support network you might get back home for child care support.

You are right about most daycares not taking kids until they are one year old - if you had worked here and paid into EI, then had a child you would have qualified for EI for a year which would have given you some money to live on until your child was one and you could then enrol them into daycare and go nd work full time.

As an interim until your oldest is one could you maybe find an evening or weekend job if you really want to work? It could give you some of that useful "Canadian work experience" which would stand you in good stead when you are ready to go full time. Maybe you could use the time until your child is one to do some more research, develop some contacts, join some community stuff and build up your network for when you do your job search proper? How confident are you that you could walk straight into a full time job in the field you are looking for - it might take some time to break through anyway. You could even use the time available to take a certificate or qualification in the area you want to work in so you have a Canadian piece of paper which might get you in a job quicker.

Its not easy but you do still have options and it is still quite early on in your adventure. If you can survive on one salary for the next seven months then you could use the time to build up your networks and do some more research on the ground. Good luck!

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; May 25th 2016 at 3:45 am.
Old May 25th 2016, 3:55 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you researched childcare costs before you came and weighed the pros and cons in that regard? You say your husband is a mechanic? If you are concerned that his wages are not as much as expected, it gets better as he learns how to do some of the stuff he's not had to do before, my OH is a mechanic and I do remember, him saying how much he had to learn during the first year.

Most regular posters on here know that we have really struggled during the last few years in respect of where we feel we should be, our struggles came much later than others - 5 or 6 years in. There is no way OH could command the equivalent wages in the UK to what he makes here and our cost of living therefore ends up being cheaper, cheese and milk included in that, it takes a while to stop comparing prices. I would say a month is ever so quick to throw in the towel. Best of luck.
Old May 25th 2016, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Having cogitated a bit more on the topic, I have to say I'm quite flabbergasted/impressed at the idea of a family with young children moving transatlantic & both parents having full time jobs & need of (not previously arranged) childcare within one month.

When I came over (with young children), I don't think I knew which way was up for a good few months, let alone thought about ft work outside the home

And before anyone gets antsy: in my prior (to Canada) international moves, I was the main breadwinner, & we'd agreed before moving that the other parent would stay home as long as it took to get the whole family settled/daycare sorted.

When I came to Canada, I spent nearly 2 years working on a p-t/freelance basis because childcare options at the time weren't brilliant/affordable/readily available. But we knew that before we came over.

Through happy coincidence/serendipity, I was then fortunate to be involved in the conception & implantation of government subsidised affordable daycare in my province.

I don't think it would have been any better/easier/cheaper in the Uk, then or now. My Dsis in the UK has recently had to delay her return to work after maternity leave because of finding childcare, & she'd been looking/planning for a year. My other Dsis in the UK could not have completed her studies & then worked without free childcare for quite a few years from the various grandparents.

I have young(er) relatives who moved to Calgary from Mtl a couple of years ago: one parent stayed/worked from home with the kids for over a year, before they found a good nanny-share. Again, they knew that would probably be necessary & planned for it.
Old May 25th 2016, 6:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
We find the cost of living here significantly cheaper than it was for us in the UK.
But with respect, that was quite some time ago! And you were in one of the priciest parts of the U.K., as evidenced by your nursery costs (ouch!). So I don't think you can assume that will still be the case these days. Most people that have moved recently seem to say it works out the same or Canada is more expensive.
Old May 25th 2016, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But with respect, that was quite some time ago! And you were in one of the priciest parts of the U.K., as evidenced by your nursery costs (ouch!). So I don't think you can assume that will still be the case these days. Most people that have moved recently seem to say it works out the same or Canada is more expensive.
I compare from time to time, small-town, semi-rural Qc living costs with small town Northern England living costs. It's non-scientific (I swap data with my younger sister ), but the basic COL is similar, with a slight advantage to small town UK.

I do know, anecdotal data from other relatives, that Calgary is expensive, compared to my budget, & compared to Mtl.
Old May 25th 2016, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Lifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond reputeLifebeginsat36 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the outskirts of Manchester and childcare for my 2 children including the 15 hours free for my eldest is going to be over £15k per year. I have no family help with childcare here granted so Canadian childcare seems cheap to me!
Old May 25th 2016, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weewifey
Snowy thank you for your reply. As I have replied to plastic, we are not suffering from homesickness, or culture shock. We are making decisions based on the best care available for our 2 young children to also allow us both to work.
Fair play and totally understandable. Of course one could argue that maybe you didn't do enough research and it always takes time to settle (more than a month), but you probably just needed a reality check to maybe appreciate what you have back in Scotland.

If you can afford it now, there's no point sticking it out as others have said.
I also admire that you have the b.... to do it straight away.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lifebeginsat36
I live in the outskirts of Manchester and childcare for my 2 children including the 15 hours free for my eldest is going to be over £15k per year. I have no family help with childcare here granted so Canadian childcare seems cheap to me!
Blooming 'eck! That's madness, our pre-school was £9 a session. Even the private nursery that my daughter was at is only £50 a day, so would be around £9k a year with the free hours. And I'm in one of the most expensive parts of the UK!

Beginning to think I'm in the wrong business judging from some of the childcare prices in this thread.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
This could be changing with the Canada EU trade agreement.
Let's hope and pray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.