Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going to the dentist

Going to the dentist

Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to the dentist

Has anyone experienced going to the dentist in Canada? Toronto in particular. I don't have a dental plan and I hear that dentists here charge a high fee for their services. I just want a filling done.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to the dentist

I believe there are wide variations in price (and possibly quality) from what I've read on the boards.

I spose the best advice is shop around, and ask your neighbours/work-mates/anyone else you meet!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Recomedations of friends and colleagues is the way to go. Get a shortlist and then get quotations for the work. Many dentists now offer payment plans to spread the pain out over many months

My experience is that dentistry here, while it can be expensive without coverage , is light years ahead of UK NHS service!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:01 pm
Glaswegian

Out here in Alberta the fee for a basic filling would probably be at least $200 - just to give you some idea.

The whole service is different too. Assuming its the same out your way - dont expect a private room with one dentists chair. The dentist will start your treatment, leave you with an assistant, and move on to another patient. You are unable to see the other patients - but you can hear it all. Our dentist roams around at least three chairs. The childrens pediatric dentist has six chairs (she does have one chair in a private area - but no door - for those more 'troublesome' treatments).

Have fun.

Mrs G

Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

I`m in Quebec and apparently the dental services are all regulated and they chg the sm for all different work.
i recently had a wisdom tooth extracted for about 45$....most pleasant!

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Out here in Alberta the fee for a basic filling would probably be at least $200 - just to give you some idea.

The whole service is different too. Assuming its the same out your way - dont expect a private room with one dentists chair. The dentist will start your treatment, leave you with an assistant, and move on to another patient. You are unable to see the other patients - but you can hear it all. Our dentist roams around at least three chairs. The childrens pediatric dentist has six chairs (she does have one chair in a private area - but no door - for those more 'troublesome' treatments).

Have fun.

Mrs G
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

colin wilk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karib
Has anyone experienced going to the dentist in Canada? Toronto in particular. I don't have a dental plan and I hear that dentists here charge a high fee for their services. I just want a filling done.
Hi there,
I had to go to a dentist in saskatoon a week ago for a filling. My bill came to $151.30. Broken down this was $21.90 for the dental exam, $12.50 for a xray and $116.90 for the filling. I have 80% cover luckly so i only have to pay $30.26. So i would take out cover if you can.
regards Linda
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
I`m in Quebec and apparently the dental services are all regulated and they chg the sm for all different work.
i recently had a wisdom tooth extracted for about 45$....most pleasant!
Blimey, I paid nearly $2000 for three last year. Fortunatley insurance picked most of it up.

In Ontario there are standard fees that insurance will pay up to, but most dentists exceed them, and by varying degrees.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:25 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
In Ontario there are standard fees that insurance will pay up to, but most dentists exceed them, and by varying degrees.
Same in Alberta - pediatric dentists exceed it by quite a lot! Our insurance covers 80% but we end up paying nearer 40% of the bill.

Mrs G

Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karib
if the dentist in Canada are owt like the yanks then you will need an appointment to have him tell you that you have a cavity...."NO FUGGIN SHIT" and you need a filling.......then he will book you in for a teeth cleaning and then prolly another appointment for the cavity......probably cost you $250
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by psb182
if the dentist in Canada are owt like the yanks then you will need an appointment to have him tell you that you have a cavity...."NO FUGGIN SHIT" and you need a filling.......then he will book you in for a teeth cleaning and then prolly another appointment for the cavity......probably cost you $250
Fortunately Canada is not like the US (a statement that works on many levels!), although if they need cleaning then they should probably be cleaned!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by colin wilk
Hi there,
I had to go to a dentist in saskatoon a week ago for a filling. My bill came to $151.30. Broken down this was $21.90 for the dental exam, $12.50 for a xray and $116.90 for the filling. I have 80% cover luckly so i only have to pay $30.26. So i would take out cover if you can.
regards Linda
Linda, I'd be interested to know about your coverage and who its with??.. do you get it with work?

I must say that I was impressed with the dentistwho was recommended by a lady at the hotel we stayed at. Brand new facility with TV's in the ceiling so I could watch the Stampead ....too much! They also had a process where they numb your gum ready for the injection before they even start....as a dental phobic that needed a lot of work at the time its gone a long way to eradicate my fears.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:43 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Firstly let me tell you about the NHS dentist I had in england - we were concerned with our child's teeth (they didn't look white.. yet he had been going to the dentist since he was 6 months, we brush regularly etc) and the expletive deleted $%#$%&*&% said to wait until we were in Canada. Unfortunately he failed to tell us that our child's teeth were actually rotting - (as clearly we would have sorted it in England or failing that actually not waited 6 months before finding a dentist in Canada).

Our kidlet has no enamel on half his teeth (hence the weird colour) and needed 3 root canals and 4 crowns. (Fortunately he is very proud of his silver teeth!)

The dentists here were wonderful!! I cannot praise them too highly. But the intial quote ($2k) had me in near tears - thank god my dental plan at work kicked in after the first few appointments!!

Oh, and hubby likes the gum numbing stuff too!

A check up for an adult is approx $150 and for a kidlet $60. Work insurance picks up nearly all of it (NOTE it does depend on who you end up working for if you get any dental coverage)

any extra that you pay out of your own pocket you keep the receipts and claim it against your tax. (Likewise all medical expenses that are not covered by the Medical Services Plan).

Clare
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:46 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by ClareBC

any extra that you pay out of your own pocket you keep the receipts and claim it against your tax. (Likewise all medical expenses that are not covered by the Medical Services Plan).
This depends on how much your income is for the year - you may find you get no tax benefit from these receipts. So dont rely on it!

Mrs G

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:10 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

My kidlet lost his crown this afternoon (I won't mention the toffee his friend gave him ) - this happened after the dental surgery was closed, but I have just had a phone call from the dentist (from her home!) advising what to do in case kidlet gets in pain - and sorting out an appointment for tomorrow.

Did anyone get service like this in UK?!

Clare
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Taffia will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Going to the dentist

Originally Posted by psb182
nope. nada. In ont., even being retired, my work insurancepays 90%. My dentist has pribeat rooms, & treatments are painles. I get my teeth cleaned poished
& checked 3 times ayear.. Get some insurance besides OHIP>
Johnny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.