Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going back to university - scholarships?

Going back to university - scholarships?

Old Jul 29th 2018, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going back to university - scholarships?

I haven't posted in a little while, hi again everyone :-) My husband and I are happily living in Nova Scotia these days, and recently my husband has been thinking about going back to university. I've been doing some research and it does seem plausible, but the main factor is the costs (of course!). Our income is quite low so we can get a small grant which will help, however a friend was telling us he should apply for every scholarship he's eligible for. We both have uni experience from the UK where scholarships are just not a thing (unless you're an elite student). In North America it seems to work very differently and there are all sorts of scholarships, big and small?
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of applying for - and getting - scholarships for education... where is the best place to find out about them, is there any good advice which will help to win them?
If we can get some scholarship funding - even fairly small amounts - it will make this much more doable.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29th 2018, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to university - scholarships?

Does his employer offer anything? Professional Development funds, or credential enhancement funds? Might be tied to having to stay put for a year or so, but worth asking...
Old Jul 29th 2018, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Does his employer offer anything? Professional Development funds, or credential enhancement funds? Might be tied to having to stay put for a year or so, but worth asking...
I should have mentioned, we're self-employed. This makes finding the time to do the courses much easier, but raising funds harder!
Old Jul 29th 2018, 4:18 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Most go to graduating high school students, involves lots (a lot) of research, some are industry or course specific. My daughter spent months researching and that was with the schools help. The high value ones often go to the sports achievers. Many are just a few hundred dollars. Universities often have a list too. Students usually start applying early in the year. I would not be relying on scholarships to fund schooling, student loans are frequently used.

https://www.universitystudy.ca/plan-...dian-students/

The chosen university, trade associations you belong to and Google are the best places to start.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to whatever school your seeking to attend and see what they might know of. Google as well will point you to websites.

As an adult there will be a ton you wont be eligible for and may need to consider loans instead if you qualify. Govt loans are usually need based but private bank loans if you qualify might be an option.

I would not count on getting enough scholarships to fund school.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

All universities have scholarships, bursaries or even some funds to help low income students. But, as already stated, most of these are aimed at young people.

Contact the university and see if there is any central office that deals with Mature Students.

Contact the Awards Office at your university of choice, select list of Awards, and browse it.

Contact the Department or Faculty he's interested in, find their list of Awards and bursaries, and see if there is anything.

Credit unions may well have small awards for university education.

But do be aware that many of these awards will be just a few hundred dollars, and you are looking at possibly thousands. Also remember the age limit.

Most students over here fund their university education by awards and scholarships from school and university of choice, Provincial awards to the top graduating students, small grants from the Federal government, Education Insurance policies, searching online for the small awards and bursaries, student loans, working part-time, and Bank of Mum and Dad, etc etc

Some are lucky enough to get huge awards that will fund 4 years of education, including accommodation, books, etc, but that is because they are extremely bright.

The cost will also depend on what your husband wishes to study ..... some faculties are much more expensive than others, some have higher costs for books or accessory "equipment, etc etc.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 2:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://novascotia.ca/studentassista.../FreeMoney.asp
https://novascotia.ca/studentassistance/financing/
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...education.html
https://scholarship-grants.org/student-scholarships/
https://nscad.ca/apply/scholarships-...ips-bursaries/
Nova Scotia Scholarships, Awards, Bursaries and Prizes

https://www.cibc.com/en/student/stud...of-credit.html
https://www.cibc.com/en/student/stud...-students.html
(I'm sure all the banks will have something similar)

Shame you aren't in Ontario! https://www.macleans.ca/education/ne...ture-students/

There's a few to be going on with - a google search will reveal more.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 30th 2018 at 2:51 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the comments everyone! We're planning on applying and seeing how that process goes and what sort of credits he can get for his previous uni degree back in the UK; that will give us an idea of the overall cost of study. There seem to be decent loans here; Nova Scotia seems to have a 0% interest loan if you stay in the province (which we are), and there is an incentive for mature students going back to study by way of a grant (sadly not free as in Ontario, but anything helps!).

Thanks Souxie for the scholarship links... I think he'll be studying and I'll be researching funding opportunities! We found a friend of a friend who has recently done what my husband is thinking about doing, also as a mature student, and he was able to get quite a lot of money in scholarships over the years of his study so we're definitely going to pursue that.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 11:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
Thanks for the comments everyone! We're planning on applying and seeing how that process goes and what sort of credits he can get for his previous uni degree back in the UK; that will give us an idea of the overall cost of study. There seem to be decent loans here; Nova Scotia seems to have a 0% interest loan if you stay in the province (which we are), and there is an incentive for mature students going back to study by way of a grant (sadly not free as in Ontario, but anything helps!).

Thanks Souxie for the scholarship links... I think he'll be studying and I'll be researching funding opportunities! We found a friend of a friend who has recently done what my husband is thinking about doing, also as a mature student, and he was able to get quite a lot of money in scholarships over the years of his study so we're definitely going to pursue that.

Always good to get 1st hand knowledge! Pick their brains for every little bit of info you can get - and go for it!

(and you are most welcome)