Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going back to UK with no GCSE's - advice please

Going back to UK with no GCSE's - advice please

Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of
Default Going back to UK with no GCSE's - advice please

I am considering returning to the UK with my daughter (aged 16yrs)this summer. We have been away 2 yrs and so she has not taken her GCSE's there. Has anyone made this return back with a teenager and what were the problems/issues if any. I am in the process of contacting colleges to gather more information but if anyone with knowledege /experience would be great to hear from you

thanks
Elaine
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:37 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to UK with no GCSE's - advice please

No experience, but I'm sure she can take GCSEs and A levels and anything else she wants to do at any secondary ed place. She might find it a little harder than if she'd done it at school in the UK, as she probably will have to be more self-motivated.

I was just wondering what's making you move back as I see you haven't posted for a year .... just curious though ... no need to share if you don't want to ......
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Hi Morwenna

Griff is actually my hubby so whilst I am here under his log on I only speak from my perspective ..

We have been here for 2 years but find the seniority and vacation entitlements of both our respective professions difficult to adapt to. From my perspective - I am entitled to 3 weeks more vacation in UK and eligible for part time easily, however here I get 4 weeks vacation and part time positions are very hard to come by. I also find that the healthcare system is very behind compared to what I am used to and try as I might I cannot adjust. I am basing this all on the BC experience I seem to remember from - as you say - over a year ago that you are in Alberta??I could be wrong. I notice from the threads on here that there seems to be a good network that supports each other and from that perspective the Alberta ex pats are very lucky. To say I feel like a fish out of water sums it up..we have had a couple of awful experiences re adjusting to the systems here (search recent tax thread) and it has been a case of enough is enough for me. Kids I have to say are very settled but in a couple of years I see them leaving home anyway and so they have opportunities a plenty ahead of them. Hubby is on a career break so for us decision is now and I have to go with my heart.
Difficult to express everything here...not enough space!! I guess it is just a case of acknowledgeing that Canada - beautiful as it is - is not for me
Thanks for your interest..I think I posted this in the wrong place and have also posted in the Returning to UK section - this area is for the very positive / excited and I recognise that I have not got many replies becasue people on here are not looking for posts about returning. I do not want to disillusion anyone - I do not regret what we have done --it has just clarified things for me
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Griff
I am considering returning to the UK with my daughter (aged 16yrs)this summer. We have been away 2 yrs and so she has not taken her GCSE's there. Has anyone made this return back with a teenager and what were the problems/issues if any. I am in the process of contacting colleges to gather more information but if anyone with knowledege /experience would be great to hear from you

thanks
Elaine
I'm sure she can take them at a college near to where you will live and I think under 19's don't have to pay, but if you've written to colleges they will give you all this info.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:47 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I don't think it's a good age to emigrate back to the the UK due to no qualificiations from Canada and missing out the GCSE study programs in the UK.

I am sure there may be away to take GCSEs at a later age in the UK but in your shoes I personally would wait and let my child graduate at Grade 12 Canada.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:29 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I am sure there may be away to take GCSEs at a later age in the UK but in your shoes I personally would wait and let my child graduate at Grade 12 Canada.

I rather disagree with that if there is no real expectation of the kids making a life out here.

They can study for GCSE's in UK colleges and go on to A levels if that is their bent and thence to further education .... but if they were to stay another two years here just to graduate from grade 12 and then return home, they would find themselves at AS level at best (if they can even get the UK to recognise the achievement of graduating from a Canadian hight school), and they might well find themselves disdvantaged to either pursue secondary education or to seek a career in the UK.

And anyway, if the parents cannot settle and are that unhappy, it could be a miserable two years for everybody, and to what end?

I think MY only point would be that maybe it could be possible to at least stay the time required to get citizenship, so that if, in the future, any of the family does wish to return they have that door open to them already.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:44 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I rather disagree with that if there is no real expectation of the kids making a life out here.

They can study for GCSE's in UK colleges and go on to A levels if that is their bent and thence to further education .... but if they were to stay another two years here just to graduate from grade 12 and then return home, they would find themselves at AS level at best (if they can even get the UK to recognise the achievement of graduating from a Canadian hight school), and they might well find themselves disdvantaged to either pursue secondary education or to seek a career in the UK.

And anyway, if the parents cannot settle and are that unhappy, it could be a miserable two years for everybody, and to what end?

I think MY only point would be that maybe it could be possible to at least stay the time required to get citizenship, so that if, in the future, any of the family does wish to return they have that door open to them already.
The family said they were only considering coming back, so it's not definite.

What I was pointing out was they would have neither Canadian or UK qualifications either at the age of 16. The school curriculum will definitely be different in many subjects when you compare studies in one country with another.

It's a bigger advantage if moving from UK to Canada at the same age ie when we came from the UK to Canada my 15 year old had already sat his GCSEs and these were used as credits in Canada when he joined Grade 10 halfway through the semester. Now, he has almost completed Grade 12 and will be off to Uni after summer.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

thanks
Elaine
As a teacher I would recommend that your daughter completes K12 before returning (if that is the plan) otherwise she will have to matriculate in GCSEs with at least Maths and English (above grade C) plus other subjects before embarking on A/S and A2's or BTEC equivalencies. The majority of Universities are looking at GCSE grades and A/S cum A2 first sitting results prior to offering unconditional places.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go against the last post and wish you well on an earlier return! Your child can take GCSE's in a 6th Form or college, and if they are a year older than peers, so what, really?

If your child has thoughts of going to University, then get yourself established in the UK asap - as you/they would need to resident there for three years prior to going to Uni if you want to qualify for 'local' fees as opposed to international fees. Just another thought for the pot
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ann m
I'll go against the last post and wish you well on an earlier return! Your child can take GCSE's in a 6th Form or college, and if they are a year older than peers, so what, really?

If your child has thoughts of going to University, then get yourself established in the UK asap - as you/they would need to resident there for three years prior to going to Uni if you want to qualify for 'local' fees as opposed to international fees. Just another thought for the pot
Most Sixth Forms only offer resit GCSEs in English and Maths these days if that, or just functional skills (literacy and numeracy): students will access A/S or BTEC in Year 12 and A2 in Year 13. If you decided to return I would be looking at Colleges which offer the International Baccalaureate as an alternative to A/S and A2 - it is broader and could possibly fit in better with
K12 in Canada. IB is also accepted by all Universities, not just in the UK.
All educational establishments, Colleges or Schools with Sixth Forms, will always take into account previous education and their Sixth Form Student Managers should be able to guide your daughter towards the Universities which will accept students and their credits/qualifications from oversees. (Ours certainly does as we have a number of students from oversees).
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Hi There,

I would contact the local college that you are considering sending your daughter to. Frankly the advice on this forum is too adhoc. Having taught in the UK and Canada, the GCSE's are equivalent to BC grade 10. When I was in England (although I did not complete any education there) I had to show that I recieved the equivalent of at least a C grade in GCSE English. They accepted my C+ that received in grade 10 . I couldn't believe that they were more concerened with what I recieved in grade 10 English, rather than the B's that I recieved in first year English at university. If they don't accept her grades then try another school or contest it. Sometimes the English can think their system is superior (actually the Canadians can too), but really having taught under both systems the academic requirements are similar. Having said that I have found the students in the Vancouver Area to be more driven and focused than the ones I taught in Kent.

Good Luck

thanks
Elaine
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Having read the initial post I have to say it made some alarm bells ring for me. I only found out last week that it is common to only get a weeks holiday leave after a year of working and that around 2 weeks in total was the norm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

above post possibly entered on to wrong thread ?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:38 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bzriddell
Most Sixth Forms only offer resit GCSEs in English and Maths these days if that, or just functional skills (literacy and numeracy): students will access A/S or BTEC in Year 12 and A2 in Year 13. If you decided to return I would be looking at Colleges which offer the International Baccalaureate as an alternative to A/S and A2 - it is broader and could possibly fit in better with
K12 in Canada. IB is also accepted by all Universities, not just in the UK.
All educational establishments, Colleges or Schools with Sixth Forms, will always take into account previous education and their Sixth Form Student Managers should be able to guide your daughter towards the Universities which will accept students and their credits/qualifications from oversees. (Ours certainly does as we have a number of students from oversees).
I work in a sixth form college and agree with this. Our own college no longer offers GCSE resits. Can't comment on IB though as I don't know enough about it.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Hi Giff

I found 2 possible colleges we looked at for our son, at end Grade 10 they can take him for AS Levels, then A Levels, can also do GCSE English and Maths, but make a 'manageable program' and no deadline to apply as 'relocating' back. 2 year course. One college in particular was very receptive. They do need to screen for abilty levels, but did not give pressre when I called and e-mailed.
PM me if want the name.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.