Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going back to Edmonton.

Going back to Edmonton.

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:24 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to Edmonton.

Originally Posted by jk94441
Not sure what everyone has against Edmonton to be honest. Been here a few years and I like it. I agree downtown is pretty soulless and depressing, but south of the river around the university area and Whyte it is very nice. Summer is lovely, especially the river valley, and yeah the winter is too long and too cold but this is Alberta so .. take up cross country skiing or something. I don't really see why one would particularly prefer Calgary as a city to Edmonton except for the fact it is much closer to the mountains, which does make a big difference but Jasper is still a nice long weekend trip from Edmonton.
I have lived in both cities for an equal amount of time...Calgary is more cosmopolitan but Edmonton is easier to get around..the winter in Calgary is more bearable but both a preferable to the dull wind and rain of the UK...Summers and Autumns I really like in both cities with plenty of things to do..i just have to get used to Canadians again..and in Edmonton they are bit more rough and ready
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:26 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Edmonton is smellier, dirtier, more industrial, low rise downtown, and you have those hideous low power pylons everywhere. It's a blue collar/government town.
Hmmmm...doesn't look any more low rise than Calgary's downtown.

Note these are not my photos.
Attached Thumbnails Going back to Edmonton.-edmonton.jpg   Going back to Edmonton.-edmonton2.jpg  
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 10:08 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Hmmmm...doesn't look any more low rise than Calgary's downtown.

Note these are not my photos.
That's because both of those photos are Edmonton

Edmonton has 2 entries in the list of Canadas tallest buildings. Calgary has 15.

So yeah, Edmonton has a low rise prairie town downtown. Calgary does not.

Last edited by Photoplex; Dec 22nd 2016 at 10:12 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 10:17 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

And the coup d'etat (kudatah)... Look at those mountains

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 10:31 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
That's because both of those photos are Edmonton

Edmonton has 2 entries in the list of Canadas tallest buildings. Calgary has 15.

So yeah, Edmonton has a low rise prairie town downtown. Calgary does not.
Even as a Calgarian I think you're being overly critical of our northern neighbour.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Edmonton it didn't feel like it was a low rise downtown. There seemed to be plenty of tall buildings.

I don't know why it even matters though. Manchester in the UK has a comparatively low rise city compared to many places but the city is booming with culture and things to do. Same with Liverpool.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Hi CM, be nice to have you back, i presume you will be still in the same trade. Despite the downturn in the price of oil, all the main players managed to grow, the only one to lose market share was your old company, so you did well to leave when you did.

As i am sure you have noticed, Edmonton has grown, its still has its good points and bad, but its what you want to make of it. Are you planning to live in Edmonton or one of the bedroom communities.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:36 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki Ian
Hi CM, be nice to have you back, i presume you will be still in the same trade. Despite the downturn in the price of oil, all the main players managed to grow, the only one to lose market share was your old company, so you did well to leave when you did.

As i am sure you have noticed, Edmonton has grown, its still has its good points and bad, but its what you want to make of it. Are you planning to live in Edmonton or one of the bedroom communities.
Hi NI

Yes I am still in the same industry..i did spend a day at my old offices in Calgary and they would like me to come back but they are as you say really having a tough time and couldn't justify with head office taking me back when they are laying people off.
Funnily enough I didn't notice any change to Edmonton it was exactly as I remember it apart form the new bridge across the river..granted I did not go downtown which I am told has changed quite a bit.
I am planning on living in the SW of the city either in Terwillegar or Windmere area as I know that part of town (I lived in Riverbend previously)
Old Dec 24th 2016, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Hi NI

Yes I am still in the same industry..i did spend a day at my old offices in Calgary and they would like me to come back but they are as you say really having a tough time and couldn't justify with head office taking me back when they are laying people off.
Funnily enough I didn't notice any change to Edmonton it was exactly as I remember it apart form the new bridge across the river..granted I did not go downtown which I am told has changed quite a bit.
I am planning on living in the SW of the city either in Terwillegar or Windmere area as I know that part of town (I lived in Riverbend previously)

The new bridge has been a construction nightmare, one day it will be finished so they tell us. As a heads up, the P3 schools they built in terwillger when you was last here was over subscribed before completion, so not easy to get school places in that area, 30 odd new schools are underway in all the new developments but they will still not meet demand.

The down town is still in the early stages of re-growth, kick started by closing the city airport so bigger high rises can be built, and of course the new arena is also helping to bring the projects in. You are going to be busy for a good few years yet.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

The lifestyle in Edmonton is identical to that of Calgary.
It just doesn't have chinooks and the people are a bit more blue collar.

PS you're lucky to get a job at all. Good for you!
Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
Calling a rather large BS on that.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:28 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by xxdb
Originally Posted by stuabroad
Calling a rather large BS on that.
100% BS