Goderich

Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Melissa_rachel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goderich

Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone has visited recently, or lives in Goderich. We are considering a move there and would like to know what life is like there. We have 2 kids, 12 and 9.
Thanks..
Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goderich

Originally Posted by Melissa_rachel
Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone has visited recently, or lives in Goderich. We are considering a move there and would like to know what life is like there. We have 2 kids, 12 and 9.
Thanks..
Welcome to BE. I rather like Goderich although I've only visited a few times.

It's a medium sized town which has an unusual and attractive street layout however a lot of that central area was severely damaged by a tornado in 2011.

I've visited once since (in 2013 I think) and a lot of constuction was ongoing then. Probably it's over by now.

If you have a job awaiting you could do much worse than Goderich IMHO.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 1:43 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We really liked Goderich when we visited on our recce last year and will definately visit again. We did however rule it out as a move to destination as one huge reason for oir move is to be closer to other places andmit was a little further out than we are looking for.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We really liked Goderich when we visited on our recce last year and will definately visit again. We did however rule it out as a move to destination as one huge reason for oir move is to be closer to other places andmit was a little further out than we are looking for.
Shockingly, I agree with all of the above.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 1:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Welcome to BE. I rather like Goderich although I've only visited a few times.

It's a medium sized town which has an unusual and attractive street layout however a lot of that central area was severely damaged by a tornado in 2011.

I've visited once since (in 2013 I think) and a lot of constuction was ongoing then. Probably it's over by now.

If you have a job awaiting you could do much worse than Goderich IMHO.
Interestingly enough the "unusual and attractive street layout" was actually intended for Guelph. Somehow, way back when, the plans for Goderich and Guelph got switched and the good folks who built the towns made the plans fit to what was there.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 6:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Interestingly enough the "unusual and attractive street layout" was actually intended for Guelph. Somehow, way back when, the plans for Goderich and Guelph got switched and the good folks who built the towns made the plans fit to what was there.
Doesn't surprise me. Nothing in Canada surprises me any more.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
A splendid urban myth, but a myth nonetheless. Guelph was originally going to be called Goderich in honour of former prime minister Lord Goderich, but John Galt, the then Commissioner of the Canada Company, wanted to call it Guelph in honour of the Hanover/Welf family of George IV. The second planned development built under Galt's supervision was called Goderich instead, but the town plan was always designed for that location.

A snippet from http://scale.cs.uoguelph.ca/history/...article2.html:
A fourth element was simply the desire to promote the town. After the felling of what became a legendary maple tree, Dr. Dunlop pulled a flask of whiskey from his bosom and "christened the town", naming it the "City of Guelph". Galt had chosen the name "in compliment to the royal family, both because I thought it auspicious in itself, and because I could not recollect that it had ever been before used in all the King's dominions".l8 The British royal family, the Hanoverians, were descended from the Guelphs, one of the great political factions in late mediaeval Germany and Italy.l9 Although the name itself was used to give the future town some publicity and prestige, the directors of the company in London objected to the choice when Galt reported to them. They believed that his first town, located in the relatively small Halton Block, would not become a major community and they suggested reserving the name Guelph for a town in the much larger Huron Tract to the west.20 Galt refused to use the name they substituted - Goderich - but agreed to use it later that year, when laying out the second town, a port on Lake Huron. This dispute about names is probably the origin of the incredibly persistent but nonsensical story that the plans of the two towns were mixed up.21
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:41 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
A splendid urban myth, but a myth nonetheless. Guelph was originally going to be called Goderich in honour of former prime minister Lord Goderich, but John Galt, the then Commissioner of the Canada Company, wanted to call it Guelph in honour of the Hanover/Welf family of George IV. The second planned development built under Galt's supervision was called Goderich instead, but the town plan was always designed for that location.

Spoilsport.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Funny, we just went thru all of this last night with my UK visitors almost word for word but I couldn't figure out where the switch came in........whatever we were reading on the net last night never mentioned the myth. I can't figure out where I heard the original myth from.....BE perhaps?