Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Global Visas:- Family moving to Canada

Wikiposts

Global Visas:- Family moving to Canada

Old May 29th 2013, 12:24 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global Visas:- Family moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
One of the main motivators for myself and my OH moving is we have family in Canada.
Funny , Ben and I moved here for quite the opposite reason
Old May 29th 2013, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Emma H is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all... fruit for thought. The Grass is never greener and always needs more water on the other side. which we are aware off and know what we are looking for... I know we cant get away from drugs, gangs, crime, etc..
Old May 29th 2013, 2:53 am
UCanadian

Cepheus is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest reading this: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...1/Welcome.aspx and see if your skills fit any of those listed.

I was lucky and secured a Job in Canada, the whole process took nearly 1.5 years for me to finally land in Canada with my wife and 3 kids. The company I work for now arranged my LMO and our visas, the only thing they did not pay for was my 9 pallets of goods.

My one year is coming up soon which allows me to apply for my PR.

We moved to Mississauga and found it very family focused. I also hear good things about Oakville.
Old May 29th 2013, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks Cepheus for the link
Old May 29th 2013, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Cepheus, my skills fit in under managers in social community and correctional services.
Old May 29th 2013, 3:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma H
Cepheus, my skills fit in under managers in social community and correctional services.
The link that Cepheus gave you covers pretty much every job in Canada though, it's not specific for any type of visa.

I don't know if it was the wrong one maybe if he had a specific visa in mind for you?
Old May 29th 2013, 5:49 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

What is lacombe , Alberta like for families and employment? it seems to have high ratings...?
Lacombe is a small town 20 mins or so from Red Deer. A lot of people move to Alberta from other Provinces for work due to the oil fields.

Red Deer itself gas a high percentage of young families, so it's viewed generally a great place to raise children. The winters in Alberta excluding Calgary can be very tiresome.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:37 am
Just Joined

christmasoompa: Visas we have in mind is AEO OR LMO. Provinces we are looking at are:

Calgary
Sherbrooke Que1
Toronto
Mississauge
Ottawa-Gatineau
Guelph ont
Lacombe Alberta
St Albert Alta
Old May 29th 2013, 6:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

christmasoompa: Visas we have in mind is AEO OR LMO. Provinces we are looking at are:

Calgary
Sherbrooke Que1
Toronto
Mississauge
Ottawa-Gatineau
Guelph ont
Lacombe Alberta
St Albert Alta
Erm....except that neither of those are visas, and that none of those are provinces.

Forget the AEO, that's no longer in existence, so you're reading out of date info - stick to the CIC website which has the most up to date info on it.

The LMO is what you need to get you a Temporary Work Permit, so is that the visa you're looking at?

And don't worry about areas just yet, really you need to figure out where your skills are most in demand and where you are likely to find an employer prepared to go to the cost/hassle/wait of hiring you over a Canadian. Unfortunately you may not get much of a choice in where you move to, although you have chosen several big cities so hopefully one of those would give you the most chance.

Best of luck.
Old May 29th 2013, 6:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary
Sherbrooke Que1
Toronto
Mississauge
Ottawa-Gatineau
Guelph ont
Lacombe Alberta
St Albert Alta
I'm sitting in Guelph. How does Guelph come to be considered?
Old May 29th 2013, 6:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have to confess I did wonder about the criteria behind some of the choices and how the OP came up with such opposing places as Toronto (city of 5.5 million people) and then Lacombe, AB (small town of 11,000 people).
Old May 29th 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

DandNHill where is your location?...
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia...because that's where the job took us funnily enough! Two years on, it's ok, bit quiet... Getting itchy feet actually, especially OH in his job so might be considering pastures new... It'll still be the job that governs the relocation if we do it!
Old May 29th 2013, 1:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Presumably simply because you are there. Reputation preceding you and all that.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Presumably simply because you are there. Reputation preceding you and all that.
It's possible, I suppose, weird but possible. There was a poster who asked me about Guelph then moved there. I see her around now and then and I've not been shunned so I suppose that worked out ok.
Old May 29th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Shame Guelph would be too far from my OHs target job, otherwise we could have moved near you too dbd!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.