Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Glasses/ specs

Wikiposts

Glasses/ specs

Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glasses/ specs

Anyone with high prescription lenses? In the UK i got progressive lenses, and they are light and very thin.

Today I had my eyes tested and the prescription has changed so I need to replace them - they told me that they wont be as thin as the lenses I have now, possibly because of health and safety?

The lenses they checked for me were high index 1.74 which is the highest that you can go with non glass lenses, so I must have the same from the UK, but cant understand why they are not as thin here? Surely high index readings should be the same thickness?

I am going to see an independent optician to see what info i can get, but just wondered how people on here have fared with changing their specs over here?

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:04 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasses/ specs

In the UK it used to be possible to get high index 1.8 and 1.9 lenses, so you may have had those.
I looked at getting some high prescription lenses here, but they were significantly thicker than UK lenses, plus glad I was sitting down when they told me the price
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
In the UK it used to be possible to get high index 1.8 and 1.9 lenses, so you may have had those.
I looked at getting some high prescription lenses here, but they were significantly thicker than UK lenses, plus glad I was sitting down when they told me the price
Hmm, i had a quick read on the net and it seems that higher than 1.74 is glass? - mine arent glass, which is why i dont think they are higher than 1.74. Price wise i think is a bit cheaper than what I paid in england - but that is because they are having a 50% off sale

They were not particularly helpful though, so i am not keen to go there with my business
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

More reading, and it seems 1.74 is the thinnest i can go with a far sighted prescription - so mine must be 1.74. Now i really dont understand how my lenses here will be thicker than my current lenses if they are the same index?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a clue about the technical details but in the UK I had what was described as ultra thin.

I just got a new pair from Vogue Optical and they are every bit as thin as my ultras.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I am short sighted with severe astigmatism. I had high index plastic lenses in the UK and have the same here. I can't say that I notice them being any thicker than those I wore in the UK. Also, cost has seemed reasonable compared to what I paid in the UK. I'd suggest getting a second opinion from another optician. I use a good independent rather than a chain.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 1:48 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

second the advice about going to a good independent optometrist.
Mine is a little pricey on the eye exam, which is Ok because my insurance covers 100% but they manage to get my contact lenses for cheaper than the discount online places.

don't know if you've come across clearlycontacts but if you know your prescription details, you can sometimes get good deals
Old Oct 29th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - i will get a second opinion and see what they say. I have had the eye exam, so have a prescription.......i was just concerned when the lady ssaid my lenses would not be as thin - yet the prescription has not really changed much - more the varifocal strength has changed.

I never really worried about it before - just had the thinnest lenses, and that was that. I think she just threw me with her comment about them not being as thin.

Thanks again
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleo
Anyone with high prescription lenses? In the UK i got progressive lenses, and they are light and very thin.

Today I had my eyes tested and the prescription has changed so I need to replace them - they told me that they wont be as thin as the lenses I have now, possibly because of health and safety?

The lenses they checked for me were high index 1.74 which is the highest that you can go with non glass lenses, so I must have the same from the UK, but cant understand why they are not as thin here? Surely high index readings should be the same thickness?

I am going to see an independent optician to see what info i can get, but just wondered how people on here have fared with changing their specs over here?

Thanks
I have a complicated prescription, short sighted at 8.75 ish astigmatism, presbyopia. Like you i used to be able to get better and thinner lenses, Zeiss i think they were.
If you get a small enough frame then the extra thickness isn't really noticeble and the plastic lenses are lighter and kinder on the nose! I get mine from Costco, the Peterbrough branch is very good at fitting them and aftercare.