Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Glasses online

Glasses online

Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasses online

I don't understand the Canadian terms of who does what in the store, but the person who performed my eyesight test (the person in the white coat) must have measured it and hand wrote it on my prescription and on my daughter's.

But I think you can do it with the aid of a friend.

S

PS: mine would have been $88 for one pair and was $118 to include the "free" pair.

Last edited by Snowy560; Feb 12th 2016 at 6:02 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 6:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
...mine would have been $88 for one pair and was $118 to include the "free" pair.

The Vogue place I use says the displayed price includes standard lenses.

$88 might have become $118 because of tinting for one pair or thin lenses, anti-glare, anti-scratch.

Or maybe they hoped you wouldn't notice, what with not having new glasses yet.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The Vogue place I use says the displayed price includes standard lenses.

$88 might have become $118 because of tinting for one pair or thin lenses, anti-glare, anti-scratch.

Or maybe they hoped you wouldn't notice, what with not having new glasses yet.

I watched the shopping basket: it was $88 for one and $118 for two pairs with the various coatings.

S
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:20 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The quote I got for lenses last time around way $450 each, yes each lense plus the frame, she then seeing me about to pass out qouted me a slightly cheaper set of lenses. Ive still got my old specs. There has been no change to the prescription. I wear contacts 90%of the time, just need goggles for when I wake up and before sleep, but sometimes I would like to give my eyes a rest from lenses. I have thought of ordering online. I have a small head/petite face. My frame choices in store are limited which is what makes me wary of ordering online. I keep meaning to go to a couple of places and writing the frame style and numbers down and then searching online. Bizarrely the same optician is/hasbeen competitive contacts wise.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I watched the shopping basket: it was $88 for one and $118 for two pairs with the various coatings.

S
So that's likely $88 for basic and free pair but then $118 with coating and free pair then. That's the way I've seen it work twice.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can upload a photo of yourself on the online sites and 'try the glasses on'.

I was wary too but won't go back now to shop bought!

S
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

No Bristol not quite. It was $88 with all coatings etc for pair 1 then $30 for the coatings stuff for pair 2 (frames 'free'). Frames for pair 1 about $59.

S
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

my last pair where basic black frames which seemed popular, i have a strong prescription (-9) and a bad astigmatism and delivered mine cost $48. But that was two years ago.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 12:52 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 4 weeks post LASIK now
Best thing I ever did.
Had 20/15 vision at week one. Still improving.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 12:58 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj322
This year, I finally decided to get Lasik done after 20 odd years of flaffing around with glasses and contact lenses. It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. At this time of writing, I am 5 weeks post op and things are great. I went to King Lasik and highly recommend Dr King.
That would definitely have been something I'd have considered but depending on how old you are and what work you do, it may not be worth it.
Good for you dj322. I am glad you are happy with Lasik. That is definitely something that I am also considering but like BristolUK said it may be best done in your 40s since your eyesight may still change and if you get it done too soon you may end up having to do it again when you are old.

I know its a pain (and expensive) to keep buying new glasses and frames every few years but I guess you cant do much other than to suck it up and pay for the optical mafia's huge margins. But its great to see the online competition popping up against them which will hopefully make things a little bit better for the customers.

I like to buy good frames (who doesn't) and then stick to them for a long time. In the UK I just took them to shops and have new lenses put in them every time my prescription changed but here in Canada I have been struggling to find a retailer who would just sell lenses. Unfortunately the online companies mentioned on this thread so far also don't seem to sell lenses only which sucks (unless there is another source that I have yet to find).
Old Feb 13th 2016, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I like Clearly because there's a store in downtown Vancouver where you can actually try the frames on.

I know that sorta negates the point of the online store, but still!
Old Feb 13th 2016, 1:32 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Had 20/15 vision at week one. Still improving.
I'm curious. What are you doing as sight changes? My mother in law had cataract surgery (on OHIP thread) and reading glasses were suggested but a couple of days after them being okay, they're now not okay. She's got another three weeks of potential changing vision. Seems daft to keep getting reading glasses as and when vision changes but the alternative seems to be less than good vision for 3 weeks.

Maybe the rate of change slows down now.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 7:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious. What are you doing as sight changes? My mother in law had cataract surgery (on OHIP thread) and reading glasses were suggested but a couple of days after them being okay, they're now not okay. She's got another three weeks of potential changing vision. Seems daft to keep getting reading glasses as and when vision changes but the alternative seems to be less than good vision for 3 weeks.

She may need to see the surgeon who performed the cataract extraction. Sometimes the capsule that the new lens is implanted in can become cloudy with a bit of scar tissue and needs to be lasered.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 1:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

What am I doing as the sight changes?
Rejoicing!!

I don't need glasses. Even though my distance vision has been optimised at the cost of my near vision, I don't need readers or anything. My distance is better than 20/20. My near vision is good enough.
Initially I had to bump up the font size on my Kobo, now it has settled and I'm.back to normal.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 1:49 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Dorothy
She may need to see the surgeon who performed the cataract extraction...
Been assured all is progressing as normal...just waiting for everything to settle and then back to see what's needed.
Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
What am I doing as the sight changes?
Rejoicing!!
I'm sure the MIL will be rejoicing too, just not for another three weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.