Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Give me the ex-pat inside info on Nova Scotia

Give me the ex-pat inside info on Nova Scotia

Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Give me the ex-pat inside info on Nova Scotia

Ok you ex-pats or home grown, been there forever folks living in Nova Scotia (NS). I need you to help give it too me straight from the horses mouth. I want to know why I should move provinces to N.S - my questions are specific as a retiree.

I can spend hours & hours looking at environment Canada websites, tourist boards, Real estate agent/MLS websites, Grocery store flyers - but I am an inpatient person & I'd appreciate getting the real picture from folks that live in NS

No generalities please just straight talk

Climate: seasonal temperatures, warmest & driest parts of the province year round - also include places that have the least amount of rain & snow.

Coastal: are there any real (not in provinicial parks) non-rocky beaches - any good sandy ones in Nova Scotia.

Real Estate Purchasing: typical price of a coastal 3 bedroom (no shanty's or shacks) either in major cities/towns or rural. It can be anywhere coastal or within 1km of the coast.

Real Estate Rental: is it good bad indifferent, typical prices for 2--3 bedroom apartment or house based on personal or recommended knowledge in any location

Property taxes: What are typical for those type of houses based on price or as a percentage of market price. Do seniors get property tax reductions or credits from the municipality or province?

Groceries: Average prices for everyday items such as - milk, bread, eggs, cheese, pork, chicken... add as you like

Neighbourhoods: Places to stay away from

Anything I missed: please add to the list

Looking forward to your help in answering the above

Last edited by not2old; Sep 14th 2013 at 2:26 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice
Default Re: Give me the ex-pat inside info on Nova Scotia

I'm very interested in the responses to your thread.

Sorry I can't give you any info on NS, but my wife and I are researching moving to either NS or Vancouver Island. Check out my recent thread "time for a change- NS or VI", I got a few replies with good info, although most of the replies were related to the weather!
We plan to move in the next 6-8 months, so like you, are looking for personal experiences and info from folks living there.
I have seen your other thread asking the same about Calgary, we have been here for over 5 years, so feel free to PM me and I will be happy to share info with you. Calgary is a great city, it's just we are in need of a change of scenery!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Well most of the questions you asked can be answered by doing a google search or looking at a map! Of course there are beaches, We are an ocean province! Lots and lots of lakes as well! Try looking up properties on the mls.ca web site, I have no idea what kind of house you want. I live on the south shore, in a small town but have also lived in Halifax and Dartmouth. Just depends what you want. I think most provinces in Canada have senior programs for property taxes and such. Lots of apartments being built in the cities and I think the rents are about $1000 and up. I am sure if you looked around you may find one cheaper. Well if you are retired and not relying on an income you could live anywhere really, depending on your interests. Perhaps a trip from TO too the Maritimes is in order to see for yourself. What else do you want to know?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:09 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

see below
Originally Posted by not2old

Climate: seasonal temperatures, warmest & driest parts of the province year round - also include places that have the least amount of rain & snow.

Middle is hotter in summer and colder in the winter. Summers can be hot and humid and spring can suck - cold and damp and grey until May. Winter - freeze, thaw, freeze. Can be minus 30 with windchill but sometimes minus 2 is horribly cold when its damp.

Coastal: are there any real (not in provinicial parks) non-rocky beaches - any good sandy ones in Nova Scotia.

Loads - check out Melmerby, Crystal Crescent, Martinique, Queensland. There are more of course but these spring to mind.

Real Estate Purchasing: typical price of a coastal 3 bedroom (no shanty's or shacks) either in major cities/towns or rural. It can be anywhere coastal or within 1km of the coast.

More expensive generally close to Halifax, you can pay $1m or $300k (roughly)

Real Estate Rental: is it good bad indifferent, typical prices for 2--3 bedroom apartment or house based on personal or recommended knowledge in any location

Dont rent, but friends have rented for $1k per month or more

Property taxes: What are typical for those type of houses based on price or as a percentage of market price. Do seniors get property tax reductions or credits from the municipality or province?

No idea on seniors, tax is in bands, I think ours is 1.5% of the rateable value (or whatever the proper terminology is)

Groceries: Average prices for everyday items such as - milk, bread, eggs, cheese, pork, chicken... add as you like

Milk $4.14 - 2 litres - cheaper at costco and Irving
Bread - can be approx $3 a loaf, can alway generally get it for less on a deal.
Chicken - I buy it at costco - $30 for a box of chicken breasts

Stay away from Spryfield and most of Dartmouth - as I understand it

Anything I missed: please add to the list

Its laid back here

Looking forward to your help in answering the above
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give this a try....

Climate: a bit difficult for me because we've only been here 3 months, but the summer high reached about 35c, with high humidity. This was only really July-August though, it's now a nicer 20c average. You'll have to ask me next year about what the winter is like!

Coastal: NS is a bit unusual from a coastal point of view. The south shore and the north shore have some lovely sandy beaches. The bay of Fundy has beaches too, but they are often stoney beaches, plus there is the 50ft tide factor which generally means a lot of muddy sand!

Real Estate Purchasing: Can't help much here, but a quick browse of kijiji and MLS will give a good idea. Price can vary quite a bit dependent on location, though I gather prices here are reasonable regardless. As a general rule, the further you are from Halifax the cheaper the houses are...

Real Estate Rental: We're renting just now. Cottages, houses and apartments are all available as rentals, some in towns, some rural. Prices start at around $700 and go up to I'm not sure, $2500? Maybe? Again dependant on area.

Property taxes: Because we're renting and this is included I can't help here. I seem to recall MLS listed the tax price? Also to consider - a lot of houses here are not on municipal water/sewer, so you're not paying a municipal rate, you just pay for your well and septic. NS Power for electricity is quite expensive apparently (we've not had enough bills to be able to say for sure).

Groceries: We've found quite a variety in prices depending where you shop. For example, we were looking for a roast chicken today. $20 in Sobeys, $10 in local Valufoods store. This is because some of the smaller stores have deals with the local producers and so have much more acceptable prices! I can't think of any other specific prices for the things you mention. Again depending on where you live, you might have access to local farmers markets which are a great source for cheap in-season fruit and veg.

Neighbourhoods: I don't know! Halifax will have areas to avoid I'm sure, but a lot of the communities are so small they don't have neighbourhoods lol.

Can't think of anything else... I'd definitely recommend a visit. Rent a couple of holiday cottages in different areas for a couple of weeks?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Climate: Only been here in summer - hot, humid. Can be nasty if you don't like the heat and have no air con. Wonderful if you like heat and sun.

Coastal: Loads. More than enough to get bored of. Beautiful clean sand, unspoilt. Also small beaches on zillions of lakes.

Do a search on Viewpoint.ca but yes, you can get coastal property even for less than $300k. But it will be a fair way from the city. 1km from the coast, away from the city you could get something for even less than that. Prices vary from millions to under $100k. All depends on how far you would live away from facilities and the city - cheaper property often means a fair distance from shops etc.

We rent in Bridgewater for $900 a month for a 4 bed house. Prices for 2-3 obviously less but not much so - say $700 - $800. A lot more in Halifax - maybe double in nice areas.

Don't know, but you can see estimates on Viewpoint.ca for each house. More valuable house = higher taxes.

Today I paid: milk about $5.30 for those big bags of 3 (not sure how much in litres but it lasts family of 5 all week). Bread $1.38 (have never paid more than $1.50 and often can get for $1). Eggs about $2.60; cheese 500g $5.97. Chicken - usually get from butcher, around 600g is about $8. You can get things for good prices if you shop well.

Don't know haven't been here long enough!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

How do you like living in Bridgewater? I live in Greenfield!

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Climate: Only been here in summer - hot, humid. Can be nasty if you don't like the heat and have no air con. Wonderful if you like heat and sun.

Coastal: Loads. More than enough to get bored of. Beautiful clean sand, unspoilt. Also small beaches on zillions of lakes.

Do a search on Viewpoint.ca but yes, you can get coastal property even for less than $300k. But it will be a fair way from the city. 1km from the coast, away from the city you could get something for even less than that. Prices vary from millions to under $100k. All depends on how far you would live away from facilities and the city - cheaper property often means a fair distance from shops etc.

We rent in Bridgewater for $900 a month for a 4 bed house. Prices for 2-3 obviously less but not much so - say $700 - $800. A lot more in Halifax - maybe double in nice areas.

Don't know, but you can see estimates on Viewpoint.ca for each house. More valuable house = higher taxes.

Today I paid: milk about $5.30 for those big bags of 3 (not sure how much in litres but it lasts family of 5 all week). Bread $1.38 (have never paid more than $1.50 and often can get for $1). Eggs about $2.60; cheese 500g $5.97. Chicken - usually get from butcher, around 600g is about $8. You can get things for good prices if you shop well.

Don't know haven't been here long enough!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Corky
How do you like living in Bridgewater? I live in Greenfield!
I like it but there's no call for what I do here. Probably moving closer to the city to work.

We never intended to be this far away from Halifax, just happened to be all we could find to rent at the time.

Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I like it but there's no call for what I do here. Probably moving closer to the city to work.

We never intended to be this far away from Halifax, just happened to be all we could find to rent at the time.

Yes I can understand, not to many places to work in Bridgewater and the hour drive to the city is a lot to do especially in the winter. Many nice places to live in or close to the city though and a lot of things to get involved in. I lived in Dartmouth before the south shore!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough

http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/68390

had a look at this last week lovely sandy beach's but 1 1/2 hrs. to town
I have lived in ns for 9 yrs so it can't be to bad
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

If you are retiring you have so many options...

A great site for houses is viewpoint.ca it gives you sales history so you know how much the seller paid and also how long it has been for sale which means you can negotiate better.

I live in Yarmouth NS. It is supposed to be the warmest part of NS as we are the closest to the Gulf Stream. It still gets very cold in winter of course...

We are 3 1/2 hours from Halifax where all the good shopping takes place but for everyday it's all here.

There are going to be many changes over the next couple of years. We have the ferry coming back which will liven things up quite a bit and then we have a few businesses interested in setting up here, but it has to be said right now it is quiet.
Lots going on but not many work opportunities for the moment!

And if you like planes, we had a fantastic airshow this weekend! The biggest in the Maritimes this year!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill

And if you like planes, we had a fantastic airshow this weekend! The biggest in the Maritimes this year!
Aargh! I missed the airshow. Completely forgot. Don't tell my plane mad son.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Aargh! I missed the airshow. Completely forgot. Don't tell my plane mad son.
What a shame. We had the CF18 Hornet, the Snow Birds and the Sky Hawks. There were also several civilian acts who were really amazing!

To top it all, I am very proud of my hubby who is the chair of the organizing committee and the Airport Director!!!!

Last edited by DandNHill; Sep 16th 2013 at 10:32 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
What a shame. We had the CF18 Hornet, the Snow Birds and the Sky Hawks. There was also several civilian acts who were really amazing!

To top it all, I am very proud of my hubby who is the chair of the organizing committee and the Airport Director!!!!
We only have one? No surprise really.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
We only have one? No surprise really.
Haha...I just corrected a grammatical mistake because I was worried about the resident grammar Nazis and you didn't pick up on that but you picked up on the fact we only had one hornet! lol Well let's say we only had one CF18 in Yarmouth, but even one was amazing!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.