Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Give a Child a Coat Campaign

Give a Child a Coat Campaign

Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:04 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough
Default Give a Child a Coat Campaign

As you all know, winter is just round the corner, or in some cases already here. The yearly campaign for 'give a kid a coat' has started again, and sleep country canada and a radio station in Toronto, are pleading for people to donate their old coats and new ones, to the Salvation Army.

A presenter on the radio station camped outside the Erin Mills mall last week and collected a lot of coats. So if you have some old coats knocking around at home, or even new ones that you don't like, be kind to drop them off at your local salvation army or sleep country canada store.

I just thought I'll throw this out there.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:10 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Give a Child a Coat Campaign

Originally Posted by finallygotout
As you all know, winter is just round the corner, or in some cases already here. The yearly campaign for 'give a kid a coat' has started again, and sleep country canada and a radio station in Toronto, are pleading for people to donate their old coats and new ones, to the Salvation Army.

A presenter on the radio station camped outside the Erin Mills mall last week and collected a lot of coats. So if you have some old coats knocking around at home, or even new ones that you don't like, be kind to drop them off at your local salvation army or sleep country canada store.

My kids need coats so they will be first in line
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:52 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I must be spending too long on this computer or I need my eyes tested. I read the title to this post very quickly and read "give a kid a goat campaign"

Great idea but my kids are all grown up.

Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:22 pm
Banned

I think the last 2 posts here, are missing the point. So your kids need coats, so your kids are grown up, what does that have to do with teh contents of the original post

The salvation army basically needs these coats for homeless kids and the not so fortunate people. You can donate money too, or buy a 2nd hand one and give it to them.

It's all for charity afterall. You are not going to say "am not going to donate to the Terry Fox appeal cos someone you know, needs an artificial leg as well are you?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:04 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

I think the last 2 posts here, are missing the point. So your kids need coats, so your kids are grown up, what does that have to do with teh contents of the original post

The salvation army basically needs these coats for homeless kids and the not so fortunate people. You can donate money too, or buy a 2nd hand one and give it to them.

It's all for charity afterall. You are not going to say "am not going to donate to the Terry Fox appeal cos someone you know, needs an artificial leg as well are you?
I didn't miss the point at all, you missed my point.
My point is that charity begins at home. When, and only when i have provided for my own family will i give there stuff away. And when i give stuff away it will be to other parents that we know, who have kids. The modern phrase is recycling but it used to be called hand me downs.
If i gave to every deserving cause, my family would starve so i choose which cause merits my hard earned coin, i choose real good causes like cancer reasearch, stroke victims, diabetes etc.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
My point is that charity begins at home. When, and only when i have provided for my own family will i give there stuff away. And when i give stuff away it will be to other parents that we know, who have kids. The modern phrase is recycling but it used to be called hand me downs.
If i gave to every deserving cause, my family would starve so i choose which cause merits my hard earned coin, i choose real good causes like cancer reasearch, stroke victims, diabetes etc.

So your input was helping the cause how?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:22 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

So your input was helping the cause how?
It isn't, this is a discussion forum for people to give and recieve opinions and/or help but with no obligation to help.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

annie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Give a Child a Coat Campaign

oh all right smart arse youve made your point.you don't want to give, "I'm all right jack," i hope you never need help. ever heard of karma, you know; "what you give out you get back."
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

annie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud of

cant give a coat cos I,m in the UK but I would like to donate some money, can you post where to send cheques?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annie3-4
cant give a coat cos I,m in the UK but I would like to donate some money, can you post where to send cheques?
The campaign isn't limited to Canada. You could donate to your local Sally Ann.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
The campaign isn't limited to Canada. You could donate to your local Sally Ann.
Will do.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:40 pm
Banned

Thanks Annie, am glad you saw where I was coming from. Like someone said, it's not limited to Canada, it's just that right now, as winter is only a few weeks away, there are going to be kids and adults alike out there, that aren't that fortunate enough to be able to buy a coat.

Like I said before, you can also drop these coats off, at your local sleep country stores.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:26 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

oh all right smart arse youve made your point.you don't want to give, "I'm all right jack," i hope you never need help. ever heard of karma, you know; "what you give out you get back."
OOOOOHHHHHHHHH
Why do you presume i never give to charity?????? Because i won't give to this one??????? FYI i give a lot to charity, my mum died from diabetes and had 2 strokes while in a diabetic coma so i give to those 2 charities. I also give to cancer reasearch because i know a 23yr old girl that died of cancer (never smoked a cigarette in her life)

You should be asking why these children are homeless in the first place, and if they are truly homeless, a coat aint going to keep them alive.

Another point is, we get good causes rammed down our throats wherever we turn, there's ad's on the TV, collectors in the streets, it's there when you open the newspaper and my son even brings it home from school.

So before you come out with comments like "smart arse", try asking why? i don't expect you to though, after all this isn't the first time you let your mouth run on ahead of your brain.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

OOOOOHHHHHHHHH
Why do you presume i never give to charity?????? Because i won't give to this one??????? FYI i give a lot to charity, my mum died from diabetes and had 2 strokes while in a diabetic coma so i give to those 2 charities. I also give to cancer reasearch because i know a 23yr old girl that died of cancer (never smoked a cigarette in her life)

You should be asking why these children are homeless in the first place, and if they are truly homeless, a coat aint going to keep them alive.

Another point is, we get good causes rammed down our throats wherever we turn, there's ad's on the TV, collectors in the streets, it's there when you open the newspaper and my son even brings it home from school.

So before you come out with comments like "smart arse", try asking why? i don't expect you to though, after all this isn't the first time you let your mouth run on ahead of your brain.
Oh, obviously touched a nerve...
It's OK you don't have to justify yourself, I'm sure that you are a very kind and generous person really.....
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:15 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Oh, obviously touched a nerve...
It's OK you don't have to justify yourself, I'm sure that you are a very kind and generous person really.....
yeah, you touched a nerve, but it's nothing to do with the content of this thread. You got to me because i'm fed up with sanctimonious, self righteous pratts jumping to conclusions and flaming anyone that dares to add a touch of humour to a thread.
It's not ok and i'm not justifying myself to you, you are obviously too thick to see that i was making the point that you jumped to the conclusion that i was anti good causes when the opposite is the truth.
Keep your "smart arsed" comments to yourself and maybe ask WHY before jumping to the wrong conclusion.

I don't have to prove to you wether or not i am a "kind and generous" person, nor to anyone else but i have done things for the benefit of other members of this forum, actual deeds, not just words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.