Reload this Page >

Give a Child a Coat Campaign

Give a Child a Coat Campaign

Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Salvation Army... how to help

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh. I shan't give to them then. Not that I give to anyone except the Sally Ann anyway.
I had three friends who worked for the Sally Ann and said that the goings on there were spurious to say the least.

All the really top notch clothing, jewellry (oops...I mean bracelets, necklaces,earrings..(not Politically correct there!) gets put on one side for dealers by S.A. Managers...don't know if this is their own personal enterprise or what.

I always wondered why the place had so much inferior quality stuff.

Next, donations of frozen turkeys for the poor Christmas went to the staff and the annual Christmas dinner at the soup kitchen got the sliced turkey-roll, a sort of compressed gel-like substance. My mates were right miffed at this.

At the time of the floods here in 1997..people across Canada donated so much furniture to the flood victims who never saw any of it.

The Salvation Army however, opened 6 new warehouses in Wpg to accommodate the goods with a huge bldg in Inkster Industrial park where my friends worked.

The furniture, ..a lot of it new from manufacturers ..was stored, shipped and sold at outlets all across Canada.

Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edward de Par
At the time of the floods here in 1997..people across Canada donated so much furniture to the flood victims who never saw any of it.

The furniture, ..a lot of it new from manufacturers ..was stored, shipped and sold at outlets all across Canada.

I think a lot of charities sell donations. We donated furniture and contents to the one and only charity who would collect it from us in May. I expected them to pass our goods on to needy families directly but the pickup co-ordinator explained they would be selling most of it as they could make our donation go at least twice as far that way.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I had three friends who worked for the Sally Ann and said that the goings on there were spurious to say the least.

All the really top notch clothing, jewellry (oops...I mean bracelets, necklaces,earrings..(not Politically correct there!) gets put on one side for dealers by S.A. Managers...don't know if this is their own personal enterprise or what.

I always wondered why the place had so much inferior quality stuff.

Next, donations of frozen turkeys for the poor Christmas went to the staff and the annual Christmas dinner at the soup kitchen got the sliced turkey-roll, a sort of compressed gel-like substance. My mates were right miffed at this.

The Salvation Army however, opened 6 new warehouses in Wpg to accommodate the goods with a huge bldg in Inkster Industrial park where my friends worked.

I work on a block where there are very many homeless people. I literally step over them every day I'm in Toronto. The park nearby is full of people sleeping rough. I see representatives of the Salvation Army (and the Anishwabe Health Center) serving soup and distributing blankets. There are several shelters and a free hospital on the block, all of which are run by the Salvation Army. I see no one else ministering to those in need so I think the Sally Ann is the charity most deserving of my meagre donations. Rumours of turkey theft on the praries do not dissuade me. I am aware that what one person sees may not be the whole picture, the behavior of the Sally Ann in Toronto may not be the same as elsewhere but, since it's my money, what I see is good enough for me. To whom do you give instead ?

I suggest that the most casual observer knows that the staff of the Salvation Army do not teef jewelry for themselves, what makes them an efficient charity is religious fanaticism; a fanaticism that leaves them unadorned. What's politically incorrect about the word "jewelry" ?
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think a lot of charities sell donations. We donated furniture and contents to the one and only charity who would collect it from us in May. I expected them to pass our goods on to needy families directly but the pickup co-ordinator explained they would be selling most of it as they could make our donation go at least twice as far that way.

Clothing is typically sold by weight to firms that resell it in the third world. I suppose people in Ethiopia and Bangladesh are now wearing Spice Girls shirts.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

The Salvation Army is not a gay positive organisation, neither is it particularly multi-cultural so, in some circles (people who read the Guardian, people who look at the pictures in the Toronto Star) it is considered improper to support it.
I think you're forgetting that the Salvation Army is first and foremost a Christian church, I can understand why you don't see it as not being a gay positive organisation.They believe in the traditional views, a man and lady...HOWEVER, I can assure you, that gay, straight....Disabled, black, white, Long hair, short hair, Native, Jew, ...or an athiest. If ever help was needed, The Salvation Army would be there to help you.

As for being not being exactly multicultural... you are wrong there. The Salvation army is in over a hundred countries world wide. 40% of those being third world. ( I'm talking about churches here, not actual charity work).

I'm sorry that you have had a poor experience in the praries, I have just moved here myself and am planning on doing some work with The Salvation Army, and I can assure you that I won't be doing things that way, I know that one person isn't a big change, but it's a start right?

Last edited by MapleDragon; Nov 17th 2005 at 2:34 am.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 10:06 am
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Clothing is typically sold by weight to firms that resell it in the third world. I suppose people in Ethiopia and Bangladesh are now wearing Spice Girls shirts.
Are you saying they weren't wearing it at the time? Biiiiik..."tell him what you want, what you really really want"
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finallygotout
Are you saying they weren't wearing it at the time? Biiiiik..."tell him what you want, what you really really want"
I'm surprised he didn't keep his t-shirt to go with his hairdryer...iirc he has a spice girls one
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road

I work on a block where there are very many homeless people. I literally step over them every day I'm in Toronto. The park nearby is full of people sleeping rough. I see representatives of the Salvation Army (and the Anishwabe Health Center) serving soup and distributing blankets. There are several shelters and a free hospital on the block, all of which are run by the Salvation Army. I see no one else ministering to those in need so I think the Sally Ann is the charity most deserving of my meagre donations. Rumours of turkey theft on the praries do not dissuade me. I am aware that what one person sees may not be the whole picture, the behavior of the Sally Ann in Toronto may not be the same as elsewhere but, since it's my money, what I see is good enough for me. To whom do you give instead ?

I suggest that the most casual observer knows that the staff of the Salvation Army do not teef jewelry for themselves, what makes them an efficient charity is religious fanaticism; a fanaticism that leaves them unadorned. What's politically incorrect about the word "jewelry" ?
Re: Jewellry

Well, You may or may not know, but way back in time, trading was accomplished by bartering of earrings, necklaces and diamonds by our said eastern friends and therefore the term "jewellry" came about. The word is so commonplace now but the root of the word easily gives away the history.

Other ancient financial practices:

Knights Templar learned the system of Kaballah from the east as well as many other practices that have become acceptable in today's commercial society. Loaning money for profit used to be an considered un-Christian practice as well as helping friends for gain.

(What's nice about the English is that they will often do "jobs" for friends without payment, wheareas others will want paying for everything. The English have a high reputation for their honest practices).

The Templar knights had their own secret alphabet and in those times you were able to hand in cash or goods at the beginning of your journey and after receiving a "note" from the Templars you could cash it in at the other end with the receiving Templar organisation.
Being robbed on the road to ...Jerusalem say ...if you were a pilgrim could mean a total loss of your wealth... if carried on the person. It is just like the credit card of today.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm surprised he didn't keep his t-shirt to go with his hairdryer...iirc he has a spice girls one
Blimey, what a memory. Alas, the dual voltage Spice Girls hair dryer left with the Newfie woman. I expect she still uses it in Europe.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

(What's nice about the English is that they will often do "jobs" for friends without payment, wheareas others will want paying for everything. The English have a high reputation for their honest practices).
And you were explaining to me how I was being politically incorrect.

This is twaddle, old chap, arrant twaddle, and a nasty piece of racism to boot. The English are not fabulous honest, for a start there's me, Tony Blair and the Krays. I expect we could find one person from another country somewhere to disprove the suggestion about "others". How about Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa or the original Good Samaritan, none of them ever done a good deed with no thought of reward ?

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 18th 2005 at 1:33 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MapleDragon
I think you're forgetting that the Salvation Army is first and foremost a Christian church, I can understand why you don't see it as not being a gay positive organisation.They believe in the traditional views, a man and lady...HOWEVER, I can assure you, that gay, straight....Disabled, black, white, Long hair, short hair, Native, Jew, ...or an athiest. If ever help was needed, The Salvation Army would be there to help you.

As for being not being exactly multicultural... you are wrong there. The Salvation army is in over a hundred countries world wide. 40% of those being third world. ( I'm talking about churches here, not actual charity work).

I'm sorry that you have had a poor experience in the praries, I have just moved here myself and am planning on doing some work with The Salvation Army, and I can assure you that I won't be doing things that way, I know that one person isn't a big change, but it's a start right?
Dear, oh dear, it's not me who's on the praries.

I don't especially want to make the case against the Sally Ann as it's an organisation I support, but multicultural it aint. You yourself say it is a Christian church. Christianity is exclusive of other religions and therefore cultures. Similarly, you can't have a multicultural mosque or a multicultural Ukranian Club. Operating in multiple countries isn't enough as, by that standard, the Mormons (a white bread, almost white only, religion) would be multicultural.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

I'm sorry, But again I have to disagree with you. The Salvation Army congregates in many countries as you know... including Asia, Africa and Russia... do you mean to say that only 'English' people in these countries are allowed through the doors on a Sunday morning? Of course not, Many people of all different cultures attend (often with different religious beliefs). I have seen examples of African Sunday morning services and they are a far cry from the usual brass bands and piano music. There are drums, African dancing and their dress are African robes. This is indeed ....culture.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you... I just wanted to point out that even though The Salvation Army is a Christian run organisation it doesn't mean they aren't multi cultural. I am not trying to nit pick I just wanted to clear things up in case there were anyone out there who refrained from donating because the thought they weren't multi cultural.

adj 1: of or relating to the arts and manners that a group favors; "cultural events"; "a person of broad cultural interests" 2: denoting or deriving from or distinctive of the ways of living built up by a group of people; "influenced by ethnic and cultural ties"- J.F.Kennedy; "ethnic food" [syn: ethnic, ethnical] 3: of or relating to the shared knowledge and values of a society; "cultural roots" 4: relating to the raising of plants or animals; "a cultural variety"
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:30 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

you can't have a multicultural mosque or a multicultural Ukranian Club.
Ermmm, ones a religion and the other is a nationality.

Please explain why "you can't have a multicultural mosque".
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:33 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Iginla
Ermmm, ones a religion and the other is a nationality.

Please explain why "you can't have a multicultural mosque".

I'll like to know the answer to that one as well. Because if am not mistaken, Muslims of the Islam religion come from come from almost every country.

Indonesia has the largest proportion of muslims on the planet, then there are the Chechinian muslims, the turks, Arabs, Africans, Asians etc
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Give a Child a Coat Campaign

I have about 10 coats here i havent worn in ages and im off to the santa claus parade today on front street theres a sleep country there, il drop them in on my way

I bought a new coat about a month ago and i was wearing it, i went past this girl who was homeless and looked like she was freezing I offered her the other coat and she said "no thanks!!" I couldnt believe it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.