Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GHD Hair straighteners

GHD Hair straighteners

Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:57 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default GHD Hair straighteners

Anyone who knows about hair straighteners knows that these are the best, the cream of the crop. they heat up in 7 seconds and do a tremendous job.

My eldest daughter was gutted last year when the fuse in the transformer she took kept blowing whenever it was plugged in, she had to resort to using her sisters (non GHD and dual voltage), she wasn't impressed with Canada.

I have tried searching the internet without any success to try and find GHDs in Calgary. Please help me with this one, I am sure she would look more favourbaly to moving if she could find some GHDs over there!!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:20 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: GHD Hair straighteners

Well it looks like she wont be emigrating!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully she will grow out of this fad soon, when they bring back the 80's perm!
Info taken from questions page on on GHD site.

" Unfortunately we do not recommend using the irons in Canada due to the differing voltages. They need the higher European voltage to reach their optimum operating temperature and therefore will not be as efficient in Canada. We have had some reports of the irons taking a lot longer to reach their optimum temperature in Canada so it may be possible to use them but we would not advise this. Hopefully we will be launching ghd America early next year who should be stocking 110v irons. You can keep up-to-date on all the latest ghd developments via our website, www.ghdhair.com •"

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Anyone who knows about hair straighteners knows that these are the best, the cream of the crop. they heat up in 7 seconds and do a tremendous job.

My eldest daughter was gutted last year when the fuse in the transformer she took kept blowing whenever it was plugged in, she had to resort to using her sisters (non GHD and dual voltage), she wasn't impressed with Canada.

I have tried searching the internet without any success to try and find GHDs in Calgary. Please help me with this one, I am sure she would look more favourbaly to moving if she could find some GHDs over there!!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:47 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: GHD Hair straighteners

boo hoooo!!!! She really will be disappointed, but as we probably wont get there until next spring it might work out ok, or as you say perhaps the perm will come back! Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I too blew a transformer on my GHDs. I ran them semi-successfully on just 110v for 4mths, but it wasn't quite hot enough.

COntacted GHD USA who only supply salons in NY state at present, "many of whom will ship out of state" according to their email. I emailed back and reminded them that Canada is not a state, and would any of these salons ship internationally to Canada...and never got an answer. Couldn't be bothered making international calls to these salons to find out myself.

I've since bought ones from a salon here in Winnipeg, they look *exactly* the same as my GHD ones, heat up to 410F in <60secs and get my hair straight with no frizzies. They cost 120 CAD and run only on 110v, so I've kept the GHDs for trips back home. Apparently the best brand here is called "Chi" and they run to a little over 200 CAD but I'm happy with my cheaper ones.

Good luck
Old Oct 17th 2005, 2:40 pm
Arrived at last!!

Thumbs up Re: GHD Hair straighteners

Thanks, someone has recommended straighteners by Hai Stik. They are dual voltage and supposed to be as good as GHDs.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:40 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg

PMSL at this one

We did exactly the same in July when we were over in London Ontario

My wife and 2 daughters cannot get through the morning without their trusted GHD's, so when the trip to Canada was looming I bought a transformer for £20 before we went, it weiged 1.6kg so it was a lot of weight to carry over there.
The first time we plugged it into a Canadian plug it blew the internal fuse, so we had to chuck it in the bin

Anyway my wife continued to use her GHD's for the entire length of our stay. They took a bit longer to heat up but she reckoned they were OK, not as warm but she managed fine on the Canadian voltage

Take the GHD's with you, they will be fine working on 110 volts

Eddie
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant futureMichelleC has a brilliant future

I use my UK GHD's every single day with just the plug converter. Yes, they do take longer to heat up but I've had no problems with the temperature once they do heat up - in fact, this is pretty topical for me, as I practically burnt my scalp this morning through trying to do it quickly!

Once you are here, however, if you do want the 'local' version, certainly here in Toronto most of the hairdressing salons that I walk by seem to have them prominently displayed and while they are not branded GHD, they look exactly the same. I too did loads of research before I moved here (can't leave the house without them!) and blew a transformer; so I can empathise!

But the UK ones do still work, honest! You just have to be careful when you visit home and take them with you - you forget the fact that they heat up in 60 secs and I've got the burns to prove it!