GGGRRRRRRR

Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

womblecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GGGRRRRRRR

HST not included in the price of things - will I ever get used to this?? Its currently driving me nuts that the price on the label is not the price I will pay, why cant it be inclusive?!!!!

Oh and why in Nova Scotia do they not put their lights on when driving in torrential rain and fog in the day? They have their running lights on so you can see the front of the car but not the back. How difficult does it have to be to turn your lights on?? The local radio station is advertising a reflective sticker so that you can be seen in these driving conditions, whats wrong with turning on the lights???!!!

I think I am having an off day!

Last edited by womblecat; Jun 30th 2011 at 7:30 pm. Reason: mistake in my rant!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GGGRRRRRRR

Originally Posted by womblecat
HST not included in the price of things - will I ever get used to this?? Its currently driving me nuts that the price on the label is not the price I will pay, why cant it be inclusive?!!!!

Oh and why in Nova Scotia do they not put their lights on when driving in torrential rain and fog in the day? They have their running lights on so you can see the front of the car but not the back. How difficult does it have to be to turn your lights on?? The local radio station is advertising a reflective sticker so that you can be seen in these driving conditions, whats wrong with turning on the lights???!!!

I think I am having an off day!
Yes you will get used to it, five, ten years should do it...

They tried it. everyone whined that they wanted to know exactly how much the government(s) were taking and that hiding it in the sticker price was a way to sneak taxes upon them. Besides, makes tipping in restaurants easier... tip = tax.

DRLs mean people dont have to think, did you not get the memo?
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:03 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

To do that would mean spilling their coffee or dropping their cell phone.

Every now and again you'll see someone driving in a manner where you know they're going to do some sort of manoeuvre but you need telepathy or a jedi mind trick to attain a general notion of their intentions. The experience that springs to mind for me was the woman swerving around the road (heading towards me) while I was waiting to make a left turn onto a highway exit/entrance. She finally past the highway entrance at about 5 km/h and pulled off the road, where she finished off brushing her teeth with her electric tooth brush while staring in the vanity mirror.

You'll get used to it

Originally Posted by womblecat
Oh and why in Nova Scotia do they not put their lights on when driving in torrential rain and fog in the day? They have their running lights on so you can see the front of the car but not the back. How difficult does it have to be to turn your lights on??
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Having the advertised price be sales tax inclusive is also easier if every jurisdiction in the country has the same sales tax, but they don't. So at least this way you can compare the retail price of an item across the country at the price the retailer has set and know if, for example a TV or car is cheaper in a store in one than another. I would imagine including it in the sticker would just be a reminder to people in the jurisdictions with higher sales taxes that their governments steal more of their money than others.
Also, excepting harmonized sales tax jurisdiction (although even they have exemption rebates) there is more than one level of government taxing you so it is clearer when you can see if one item is being taxed by just the Federal Government, or just provincial or territorial or both etc.

It is still more complicated, I always used to see like a soda for a dollar and think ah I have a loonie ill buy a soda then the cash guy wants $1.13 or whatever the taxes are and you have to fish for change. Eventually you just get used to it, I don't even think of the taxes anymore and just compare retails. Unless you are on a strict budget it is all relative anyway, the cheaper item is still cheaper plus tax.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 1:57 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
Having the advertised price be sales tax inclusive is also easier if every jurisdiction in the country has the same sales tax, but they don't. So at least this way you can compare the retail price of an item across the country at the price the retailer has set and know if, for example a TV or car is cheaper in a store in one than another. I would imagine including it in the sticker would just be a reminder to people in the jurisdictions with higher sales taxes that their governments steal more of their money than others.
Also, excepting harmonized sales tax jurisdiction (although even they have exemption rebates) there is more than one level of government taxing you so it is clearer when you can see if one item is being taxed by just the Federal Government, or just provincial or territorial or both etc.

It is still more complicated, I always used to see like a soda for a dollar and think ah I have a loonie ill buy a soda then the cash guy wants $1.13 or whatever the taxes are and you have to fish for change. Eventually you just get used to it, I don't even think of the taxes anymore and just compare retails. Unless you are on a strict budget it is all relative anyway, the cheaper item is still cheaper plus tax.
I don't think governments steal money, though I might prefer a higher level of direct taxation. Would anyone really compare the price in one province to another - and even if they do - is it possible or worth doing anything about it? Does anyone care whether tax is provincial or federal? What's more complicated??
Old Jul 1st 2011, 2:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Never understand why people complain about the tax not being included in the price, it always used to really annoy me in the UK that it was included because I wanted to know how much tax was being charged. On various occasions I figured out that the amount of VAT being charged was incorrect, doesn't happen so often here because it's added on afterward.

Makes it easier to compare prices with the US and elsewhere in Canada as well.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Makes it easier to compare prices with the US and elsewhere in Canada as well.
I think the reverse is true. If it's $19.99, all in, in Ontario and $21.99 in Nunavut, it's cheaper in Ontario. If it's $12+tax in both places then tables have to be consulted, research done, before finding out where it's cheaper. What use it is to know how much a bandage would be in were one bleeding in Nunavut when one is bleeding in Ontario is another matter. Generally what matters to me is how much the thing I need costs where I need it.

I like the tax included method.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like the tax included method.
+1

Especially when i'm stood at the checkout behind a person lacking the ability to add %'s so i have to wait while they get the final price before digging into their coinage to count the correct change.

Tax not included is a stupid ****ing system
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What use it is to know how much a bandage would be in were one bleeding in Nunavut when one is bleeding in Ontario is another matter.
It's called "mail order".

It's not like in the EU where you pay the VAT in the collecting country, here they charge you the tax in your province, so you need to know the price without tax, not the price with their local tax added, which is meaningless.

Unless of course you go to Nunavut in person to collect your bandages.

Besides just the basic principle of the thing, I am paying X, plus tax. I want to know what the govt. take is. Makes the taxes more transparent.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by el_richo
Tax not included is a stupid ****ing system
The difference here is there is more of a variation between jurisdictions, HST in BC is 12%, GST is 5% in Alberta, Saskatchewan has a PST, in Montana there is no sales tax, Idaho is 6%, Washington is 7% (iirc).

I'm actually likely to go there in person and buy things there and tax makes a difference in the price, if the tax wasn't so clearly stated I wouldn't know if it was a reasonable price or not.

There isn't such a big variation in VAT rates between the UK and France and Belgium say. They're all around 20%, go from BC to Montana it's 12% to zero.

Plus there is a much wider variation in what taxes are applied to, in the US, grocery items rarely have tax applied, but in Canada anything prepared has GST at least.

To cut a long story short, knowing what tax is being applied is more important. Better to have more information than less, imo.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its six of one, hald a dozen of the other. As brits we are used to tax included in the sticker price. I dont know that one is better than the other, it just is what it is. You get used to it.

As I said, they tried to integrate it once (so my OH tells me), and it didnt fly, so they went back to way it is now.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The difference here is there is more of a variation between jurisdictions, HST in BC is 12%, GST is 5% in Alberta, Saskatchewan has a PST, in Montana there is no sales tax, Idaho is 6%, Washington is 7% (iirc).

I'm actually likely to go there in person and buy things there and tax makes a difference in the price, if the tax wasn't so clearly stated I wouldn't know if it was a reasonable price or not.

There isn't such a big variation in VAT rates between the UK and France and Belgium say. They're all around 20%, go from BC to Montana it's 12% to zero.

Plus there is a much wider variation in what taxes are applied to, in the US, grocery items rarely have tax applied, but in Canada anything prepared has GST at least.

To cut a long story short, knowing what tax is being applied is more important. Better to have more information than less, imo.
As i said, stupid ****ing system

Tax applied is irrelevant imo. Total price is, which enables me to decide whether it's reasonable for me or not.

For example, which is the most reasonably priced dining table below? -

Dining Table in Montana - $1100CAD
Dining Table in BC - $1000CAD + Tax
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
As i said, stupid ****ing system

Tax applied is irrelevant imo. Total price is, which enables me to decide whether it's reasonable for me or not.

For example, which is the most reasonably priced dining table below? -

Dining Table in Montana - $1100CAD
Dining Table in BC - $1000CAD + Tax
Is it mail order?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:53 pm
Beep

Is it mail order?
It can be but Steve_ prefers to pick things up in person
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the tax to be excluded. I think it's good for people to know explicitly how much the state is raping them when they buy the stuff they want. If it was excluded in the UK I doubt VAT would be at 20%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.