Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Working as a hairdresser in canada

Working as a hairdresser in canada

Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

hairdresser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as a hairdresser in canada

Hiya, I am 23 year old hairdresser. I am currently living in portugal. I trained in the uk and have my NVQ 1 and 2. I have been in the industry for the last 7 years. I have been doing alot of research on canada and decided that vancouver is the place i would like to be. I am planning to get a working holiday visa for 1 year to see what it is like, as i havent been to canada before. My boyfriend would also be coming he is a barman. I would be grateful if anyone could provide me and info on the following:
-Applying for the Working holiday visa.
-would i stand a chance at getting a skilled visa if i decided to stay.
-how to get the red seal for my nvq qualifications/ is it expensive/ how long does it take.
- what is it like working as a hairdresser in vancouver.

etc. thanks
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a hairdresser in canada

You can use the Wiki bar at the top or search threads.
These threads may assist you
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...sser+in+canada

And my favourite of all
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:00 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hairdresser
Hiya, I am 23 year old hairdresser. I am currently living in portugal. I trained in the uk and have my NVQ 1 and 2. I have been in the industry for the last 7 years. I have been doing alot of research on canada and decided that vancouver is the place i would like to be. I am planning to get a working holiday visa for 1 year to see what it is like, as i havent been to canada before. My boyfriend would also be coming he is a barman. I would be grateful if anyone could provide me and info on the following:
-how to get the red seal for my nvq qualifications/ is it expensive/ how long does it take.

etc. thanks
If you can actually cut hair, PLEASE come to Edmonton Alberta. Five years here and I still haven't found anyone who can cut hair properly. My standards have fallen, so now I just count myself lucky if the cutter uses scissors, as opposed to a razor or electric clippers (that one was scary).
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with expats' criticisms of hairdressers in Canada? I haven't noticed a huge difference betweens haircuts of urbanites in either place. Maybe it's just the conversations one has while sitting in the chair
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What is it with expats' criticisms of hairdressers in Canada? I haven't noticed a huge difference betweens haircuts of urbanites in either place. Maybe it's just the conversations one has while sitting in the chair
And its mainly women complaining
I guess its because they dont get offered a decent cuppa and some biscuits or what Mrs Smith at number 7 has been doing lately.
Could it be they dont get value for money with the prices being charged?

I go to a lady of East African descent who is fully qualified and only charges me $10 for a cut without a wash so I give her a 50% tip as i think I get good value plus shes quite attractive as well.

So ladies chime in with your thoughts (guys too).
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by hairdresser

etc. thanks
1. Assuming you are a UK citizen, you know that if you have been outside the UK for 18 months in the past 3 years, you are not eligible for an IEC (working holiday visa)?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:41 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Please come to Alberta!

Prices are cheaper here than in the UK, paying about $50 for a ladies cut and blow dry, in the UK was paying 50 quid. Colour prices are about the same. But I can't find a hairdresser I really like and trust to cut my hair

Hairdressers are all a bit too scissor happy for my liking and I'm leaving ages between cuts now, where I used to go every 6 weeks. I have even resorted to trimming my FRINGE myself because they just can't cut my FRINGE how I want it.

Some of the stylists at my local salon are a bit scary looking too

Going to the hairdressers used to be a relaxing and pleasant experience and you would come out feeling good...it's now rather like a trip to the dentist only cheaper
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And its mainly women complaining
I guess its because they dont get offered a decent cuppa and some biscuits or what Mrs Smith at number 7 has been doing lately.
Could it be they dont get value for money with the prices being charged?

I go to a lady of East African descent who is fully qualified and only charges me $10 for a cut without a wash so I give her a 50% tip as i think I get good value plus shes quite attractive as well.

So ladies chime in with your thoughts (guys too).
FL - you're a bloke right? blokes hair is almost impossible to get wrong....

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Please come to Alberta!

Prices are cheaper here than in the UK, paying about $50 for a ladies cut and blow dry, in the UK was paying 50 quid. Colour prices are about the same. But I can't find a hairdresser I really like and trust to cut my hair

Hairdressers are all a bit too scissor happy for my liking and I'm leaving ages between cuts now, where I used to go every 6 weeks. I have even resorted to trimming my FRINGE myself because they just can't cut my FRINGE how I want it.

Going to the hairdressers used to be a relaxing and pleasant experience and you would come out feeling good...it's now rather like a trip to the dentist only cheaper
I have a friend in Cochrane who I met up with who had a fab haircut - It's like mine - inverted bob - it was very well cut and that style can go very wrong... she found a great hairdresser in Cochrane I think - it might be a bit of a trek for you but I can ask her and PM you who she uses if you like? If I can't find one local I would prob make the trip to Cochrane - you wear your hair everyday dontcha?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:59 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
FL - you're a bloke right? blokes hair is almost impossible to get wrong....

I have a friend in Cochrane who I met up with who had a fab haircut - It's like mine - inverted bob - it was very well cut and that style can go very wrong... she found a great hairdresser in Cochrane I think - it might be a bit of a trek for you but I can ask her and PM you who she uses if you like? If I can't find one local I would prob make the trip to Cochrane - you wear your hair everyday dontcha?
Thanks. Cochrane is about 35 mins drive for us...but I may get desperate!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Cochrane is about 35 mins drive for us...but I may get desperate!
OK - let me know if you get desperate and I will ask her!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I could be like this bloke (term used loosely)

INCREDIBLE! Teen superstar Justin Bieber’s “signature haircut”, the most popular haircut sought by boys who want to make an impression, is worth $750! NO kidding! Of course, that $750 haircut comes with a personal hairstylist named Vanessa Price on house call.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:10 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Please come to Alberta!

My experience exactly. I wait until I look like a pit-pony before I chance getting my hair cut here. I go back to the UK each year, and try to get a cut at Toni and Guy just before I come back. I ask them to cut it really short, so it will last me at least three months.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:28 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

What is so great about Toni and Guy? Had a few cuts there and was unmoved. I now have a great hairdresser.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Ah but you are in Vancouver, not Edmonton!

I agree Toni and Guy are variable, but they do employ people who can cut hair better than an untrained 14 year old, whereas in Edmo salons they all cut like untrained 14 year olds.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:07 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Ah but you are in Vancouver, not Edmonton!

I agree Toni and Guy are variable, but they do employ people who can cut hair better than an untrained 14 year old, whereas in Edmo salons they all cut like untrained 14 year olds.
No. Most downtown Van hairdressers, including T & G, employ people that have gone thru AXIS training. So no fantastic T & G 's here - although the manager is my personal hairstylist>

Toni and Guy are big in Uk but have made v little impact over here , they did have 2 salons in Van, now only one, Essensuals opened for a while and that shut. There is still the "London school of hairdressing and aesthetics".

I shopped around until I found my HD by word of mouth, I now have 2 who I alternate between, both work from home , de[pending on availability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.