Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting to Vancouver Island

Wikiposts

Getting to Vancouver Island

Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Getting to Vancouver Island

We would like to take a day trip to Victoria.

I have never been to the west coast so I have no idea what companies offer transport.

Could someone please provide a link where I can perhaps get prices and shedules?

Also, is it better to go over there on foot or take a car?

Many thanks
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:48 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting to Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by act1980

I have never been to the west coast so I have no idea what companies offer transport.

Could someone please provide a link where I can perhaps get prices and shedules?

Many thanks
http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/m...w-current.html
http://www.transitbc.com/regions/vic/

If I were you I`d take the car
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Excellent, thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to make an experience and cut down the travelling time (90 mins each way on the ferry and you have to get there 45 mins before now for a reservation) there is this

http://www.harbour-air.com/

It will take you from downtown Vancouver to the inner harbour in Victoria. They do offers sometimes.

The travelling over adds to the time if you are coming just for the day. But well worth it when you get here!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Hi,

I just got a quote online but I can't work out of that is a return fare as it doesn't say.

Just quoted me $102 for 4 people and a car. I entered in my departing information from the mainland but it says nothing about returning
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:20 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I just got a quote online but I can't work out of that is a return fare as it doesn't say.

Just quoted me $102 for 4 people and a car. I entered in my departing information from the mainland but it says nothing about returning
All B.C. Ferry fares are one way.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't cheap to travel across now and they keep increasing their prices.

But it is a beautiful ferry trip and we have seen Orcas in the past. Active Pass through the Gulf Islands is worth standing out on deck for.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Originally Posted by charlottyb
It isn't cheap to travel across now and they keep increasing their prices.

But it is a beautiful ferry trip and we have seen Orcas in the past. Active Pass through the Gulf Islands is worth standing out on deck for.
Cheers guys!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
You really are a lazy bugger aren't you

The ferry ride is beautiful. I'd also agree with the others and suggest you take the car with you.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

However, if you don't want to take the car ...

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The ferry from Vancouver to Powell River is in two stages: Horseshoe Bay to Langdale and Earl's Cover to Saltery Bay. You pay one fare at Horseshoe Bay for both trips going north and one fare at Saltery Bay for both trips going south.

However, if you take the Horseshoe Bay to Langdale stage then turn around and go back they don't collect a fare from Langdale to Horseshoe Bay so you effectively get a return fare from Horseshoe bay.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by el_richo
You really are a lazy bugger aren't you

The ferry ride is beautiful. I'd also agree with the others and suggest you take the car with you.
I know!