Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting in to teaching - it can be done!

Wikiposts

Getting in to teaching - it can be done!

Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:26 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting in to teaching - it can be done!

Been here nearly 18 months, 12 of those as a Permanent Resident and I have just been hired by a local School District.

So, if anyone tells you that you it is impossible to get a job as a teacher in BC on the Lower Mainland, they are mistaken.

I am not saying it is easy or quick, but it isn't impossible and I have been hired faster than some Canadians who have been applying for significantly longer.

I won't deny that it is expensive, long-winded and you should expect to have to study again to get a Professional Certificate eventually, but the benefits are well worth it IMHO.

I will be working in my proper profession again after Spring Break and that is a very important milestone for me in feeling settled and at home here in Canada.

(Thanks to P for her support and advice.)
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting in to teaching - it can be done!

Congratulations. Persistence pays off!

Permanent or Term teaching position?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Been here nearly 18 months, 12 of those as a Permanent Resident and I have just been hired by a local School District.

So, if anyone tells you that you it is impossible to get a job as a teacher in BC on the Lower Mainland, they are mistaken.

I am not saying it is easy or quick, but it isn't impossible and I have been hired faster than some Canadians who have been applying for significantly longer.

I won't deny that it is expensive, long-winded and you should expect to have to study again to get a Professional Certificate eventually, but the benefits are well worth it IMHO.

I will be working in my proper profession again after Spring Break and that is a very important milestone for me in feeling settled and at home here in Canada.

Way to go. I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. Perserverance and hard work pays off.

Ruby(P)
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats
Well done , can't have been easy for sure

Maybe you could write a summary post or wiki thingy to tell others exactly how you did it
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Well done!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:47 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Congratulations. Persistence pays off!

Permanent or Term teaching position?
TOC to begin with, which will suit me perfectly.
There are a lot of opportunities coming up I could apply for but, as I am still doing courses until September (with an exam coming up in May), I don't want to commit to a regular post before then.

I also don't know many schools here, so I want to get to see some of them as TOC before I wade in!

There is a shortage of TOC at the moment in my district. One girl I met got hired in October and has been called for work every day since, so I am expecting to be fairly busy, but time will tell.

I only got hired two days before the Spring Break and was called for work both days after, which was a surprise, so I am glad to have the holiday to get myself sorted out.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

Congratulations!! All your perseverance appears to have paid off!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:33 pm
Island life at last

Thanks for the congrats, everybody.

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Congrats
Well done , can't have been easy for sure

Maybe you could write a summary post or wiki thingy to tell others exactly how you did it
No, it wasn't easy and I still have a load of courses to do before they give me a Professional Certificate, but I don't mind that.
I expected to have to jump through hoops and the courses aren't hard if you have a good level of education already.

Getting the BC Teaching Certificate was the longest wait, but getting hired by the School District was the hardest part, in my experience.

The Ministry give you your certificate (eventually) and tell you what you have to study to make it firm, then you think, "Great, I can go get a job now!"

Then you begin to find out that the online application system is the most impenetrable barrier of them all and it is very dispiriting.

Everyone is different and my way won't work for everyone, I am sure, but I am happy to correspond with anyone who wants some practical advice which worked for me and might work for others.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:15 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12

which district?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 4:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
which district?
Which school district?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:57 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:54 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Well done,

My OH has her eligibility letter for a permanent teaching certificate, issued by Manitoba, she is going to be interviewed in October for the sub list, with possible permanent jobs next year. MB provincial government's policy on reducing class sizes for Kindergarten are starting to take effect, so looking more positive for teachers in Canada

Regards

Andrew
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:43 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My warm congratulations too. I was only thinking of you the other day Hellcat, as I thought that we hadn't heard anything of you for so long. I am glad your time spent away from BE has been put to good use! Well done you!

Last edited by MillieF; Mar 29th 2013 at 7:44 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:58 am
Island life at last

Thanks, MillieF and Miss Clinique.
I have been putting everything I can into it and so I am relieved. Hoping and trying is very draining, especially just after emigrating with all the hoping and waiting that entails.

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Well done,

My OH has her eligibility letter for a permanent teaching certificate, issued by Manitoba, she is going to be interviewed in October for the sub list, with possible permanent jobs next year. MB provincial government's policy on reducing class sizes for Kindergarten are starting to take effect, so looking more positive for teachers in Canada

Regards

Andrew
Great that they gave her a Professional Certificate straight away!
Unfortunately, it seems BC has been reducing the number of teachers, compared to other provinces who have been recruiting, and is really lagging behind in reducing class sizes if the figures are to be believed.

My understanding of it here in BC is that they are VERY unlikely to give a Professional Certificate now to those with foreign credentials.
They will issue a Conditional Certificate and expect you to do a load of courses in the first five years to convert it to a Professional Certificate, which is why I am doing the courses now.
That is expensive and with no guarantee of a job, not something everyone can afford to do.

If you can get hired by a School District, you can work in the meantime and the courses do elevate you to the next pay level when they are all done, so the rewards do come eventually.

It is getting hired by the School District which is the major hurdle here.
There are lots of graduates coming out all the time and they seem to fill nearly all the spaces.

For those who want to know which district I am employed in, forgive me if I prefer not to be that precise. Suffice to say it is fairly local, so most of you (the Vancouverites) can relax - I wont be teaching any of your kids.

It all kicks off properly tomorrow when school is back in session!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

transmigration is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news helcat12.

I know you are a teacher, but how easy is it to get a job in childcare, like Nursery nurse or social out reach worker??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.