Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a police certificate if you're in Canada

Getting a police certificate if you're in Canada

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice
Default Getting a police certificate if you're in Canada

I've been offered a job but my employer wants proof I have no British criminal record. We (stupidly) never kept copies of the British police certificates we received during the visa application process, and it seems that obtaining a certificate from the UK now we're in Canada could take 6-8 weeks (plus the processing time) as it's sent via surface mail.

Is there a shortcut to getting the certificate now we're here? Could CIC help us by accessing our file?

It's our own fault we never kept copies, and we've definitely learnt that lesson. But does anybody know a quicker way of proving they have no criminal past?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

SMCNI1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting a police certificate if you're in Canada

I would call them and ask them to fax you the application form, then fax it back if that is acceptable. They could probably fax it back to you. It doesn't take them that long to turn it around, they build a lot of padding into the 6-8 weeks.

You can always send it express post too, only about $10.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

They will send it by priority airmail if you pay them, you can even arrange courier collection yourself if you want to.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
I've been offered a job but my employer wants proof I have no British criminal record. We (stupidly) never kept copies of the British police certificates we received during the visa application process, and it seems that obtaining a certificate from the UK now we're in Canada could take 6-8 weeks (plus the processing time) as it's sent via surface mail.

Is there a shortcut to getting the certificate now we're here? Could CIC help us by accessing our file?

It's our own fault we never kept copies, and we've definitely learnt that lesson. But does anybody know a quicker way of proving they have no criminal past?
Send your Application to Dash-It Couriers in the UK (call them ahead and ask them if it is still okay to send it to them for them to deliver on their daily drop to ACRO) - they are the only Couriers allowed to courier things to ACRO.

Then call ACRO and ask how much it currently costs to have it returned by Airsure. You should get it back in a week and a half - obviously you have to pay for the quick processed Police Cert - 70 pounds I think it is?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

And depending on how long ago you obtained them for CIC anyway, they have a limited lifespan. Although, technically, as soon as it's printed, it's out of date!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:15 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

acro have an express service, it does cost extra ( can't remember how much) but we did it that way and it took roughly 2 weeks
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd try telling the employer "As you know, proving no criminal record is part of the application process with the Immigration Department so the government has already confirmed it..." and provide them with a link or copy of a document that confirms that.

I would hope common sense would then prevail or at the very least they'd be flexible about accepting it later.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think I'd try telling the employer "As you know, proving no criminal record is part of the application process with the Immigration Department so the government has already confirmed it..." and provide them with a link or copy of a document that confirms that.

I would hope common sense would then prevail or at the very least they'd be flexible about accepting it later.
It isn't though as they will still let people in with a criminal record as long as there has been some time for expiry or rehabilitation.

Personally I would rather that they didn't in some ways as it makes things more complicated and expensive for those of us who have managed to stay on the right side of the law.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:06 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by terese677
acro have an express service, it does cost extra ( can't remember how much) but we did it that way and it took roughly 2 weeks
It's £70.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:43 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Personally I would rather that they didn't in some ways as it makes things more complicated and expensive for those of us who have managed to stay on the right side of the law.
In what way?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:45 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Well I think in some criminal cases, not all, by committing that crime you should automatically accept that some doors may be closed to you in future.

Canada's view on rehabilitiation of offenders is commendable but I understand how it can make things difficult for people like the OP as he can't use the argument 'well immigration cleared me so obviously I don't have a criminal record'.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:47 pm

Well I think in some criminal cases, not all, by committing that crime you should automatically accept that some doors may be closed to you in future.

Canada's view on rehabilitiation of offenders is commendable but I understand how it can make things difficult for people like the OP as he can't use the argument 'well immigration cleared me so obviously I don't have a criminal record'.
But your point was "Personally I would rather that they didn't in some ways as it makes things more complicated and expensive for those of us who have managed to stay on the right side of the law".

How does it make things anymore complicated and expensive for you?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
But your point was "Personally I would rather that they didn't in some ways as it makes things more complicated and expensive for those of us who have managed to stay on the right side of the law".

How does it make things anymore complicated and expensive for you?
It doesn't right now if I'm honest, I was speaking in more general terms.

I didn't mean to offend anybody by the way.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel

Congratulations!!!!
You could try showing them information form the CIC website to show that you have already been through an extensive checking process. In addition, go to your nearest police station and pay to have a criminal records check done here. It costs less than $50, if I remember rightly, for the vulnerable sector screening, so the basic crim check should be less.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 2:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

It isn't though as they will still let people in with a criminal record as long as there has been some time for expiry or rehabilitation.
True, but the point is that if you're acceptable to Canada (not known for making it easy) you are probably acceptable to an employer with similar concerns.

My idea, though, was mainly tactical. By saying "as you know..." you might make the employer not want to appear uninformed so perhaps they say "...yes, of course, we are aware and now it is clear you have in fact been through this process already...."

Originally Posted by TrishB
Congratulations!!!!
You could try showing them information form the CIC website to show that you have already been through an extensive checking process.
Exactly.