Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting married in UK to Canadian

Getting married in UK to Canadian

Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

leg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant future
Default Getting married in UK to Canadian

My fiancé and I live in Canada but we are tying the knot in England next May. I am just starting to look into what we need to get sorted in order for my fiancé to legally get married in England-We are getting married in a church.

Anyone who has had experience of getting married in England, please let me know what I need to sort out in advance.

Thanks!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 11:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in UK to Canadian

Originally Posted by leg89
My fiancé and I live in Canada but we are tying the knot in England next May. I am just starting to look into what we need to get sorted in order for my fiancé to legally get married in England-We are getting married in a church.

Anyone who has had experience of getting married in England, please let me know what I need to sort out in advance.

Thanks!
If you want to get married in the UK, you will need to view this website for instructions on what you need to do and what visa your fiancée will need. Your fiancée will need to obtain a visa to get married in the UK, I believe.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-p...you-need-to-do

Congrats on your forthcoming nuptuals!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 21st 2014 at 11:03 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

leg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant future

Thanks a bunch
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a bunch
You are very welcome.

Found the direct link for visa's for marriage: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa and the link to the VAC in Canada http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/canada/ap...ioncentre.html

Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

It was a couple of years ago and my memory is foggy, but I remember having to arrange an appointment with my local council and show that it wasn't a sham marriage before we could get "approved".
We took evidence (photo's etc) and had to answer some questions (where did we meet, how long together).

We were both living in the UK at the time BTW.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:28 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I quite fancied getting married in the UK, but it was just so irritating. We had to be 'present' for three weeks, before hand, which isn't easy if you don't have family, and also I had cats and a dog, that I needed to board.

Eventually we went to Jersey, in the Channel Islands, as we only had to be present for three days prior to marriage, and they did some really nice 'marriage/holiday' packages for that reason.

Very best of luck, and congratulations!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DanielM
It was a couple of years ago and my memory is foggy, but I remember having to arrange an appointment with my local council and show that it wasn't a sham marriage before we could get "approved".
We took evidence (photo's etc) and had to answer some questions (where did we meet, how long together).

We were both living in the UK at the time BTW.
If you get married at a CofE church, you can skip the appointment with the council, as the vicar is trusted to check that it is a genuine marriage. Since we were both living in England (wife on temporary work permit, so didn't need a marriage visa), the process was exactly the same as it would have been if we were both English.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies.

I am super confused about the whole thing and can't find much help online.

We are marrying under 'Common license' at the church close to where my family live. We have to wear an oath no more than 3 months before the wedding.

I don't know if the 'waiting' period refers to our situation too? Do you have any information on that? That would be a pain in the butt, who can wait around in a country for 3 weeks? jEEZ.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies.

I am super confused about the whole thing and can't find much help online.

We are marrying under 'Common license' at the church close to where my family live. We have to wear an oath no more than 3 months before the wedding.

I don't know if the 'waiting' period refers to our situation too? Do you have any information on that? That would be a pain in the butt, who can wait around in a country for 3 weeks? jEEZ.
I don't think that applies when marrying under common license. For a wedding in a C of E church, notice is performed by reading of banns, whereas civil weddings require you to post notice in advance at the register office. Since vicars do seem to have wildly varying interpretation of the rules, your best bet is to ask the vicar who will marry you to explain the requirements.