British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Getting Married - Name Change (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/getting-married-name-change-581311/)

IckleHelen Jan 2nd 2009 10:28 am

Getting Married - Name Change

Hi

Does anyone think we will have a problem with this...?

We have already landed as PR's and returned to the UK. Our PR cards are being sent to a friends address in Canada. Currently we are common-law partners and think it would be nice to get married before we actually move over there. We are hoping to have a ceremony the day before we fly out, that way all our relatives can be there and it would be a nice way to start our new life.

I understand that traveling on a one-way ticket without a PR card can be difficult anyway, and would like to hear if anyone has actually been refused boarding onto the plane or into Canada by doing this?

I have been reading about passport name changes and it says they recommend you do it in advance of the wedding, as some countries won't permit entry. But if I do that what happens to my old passport with the Visa in it? Do I have to change my name straight away? I know some women do not take their husbands surname, could I keep my name a little longer, as I do intend to change it? Do I even have to tell them we are married? If I don't show them the marriage certificate they won't know.

If anyone can help, I would would appreciate it.

Many Thanks

christmasoompa Jan 2nd 2009 11:57 am

Re: Getting Married - Name Change

I don't understand why you've been advised to get a new passport in advance of the wedding, didn't think that was possible? You have to send your marriage certificate off so don't see how you'd get one before the big day.

I certainly used my old one in my maiden name for our honeymoon, then just got a new one when I returned.

Good luck and congrats in advance! :thumbsup:

IckleHelen Jan 2nd 2009 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7119296)
I don't understand why you've been advised to get a new passport in advance of the wedding, didn't think that was possible? You have to send your marriage certificate off so don't see how you'd get one before the big day.

Thanks.

I was reading the Home Office website http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply...ng-married.asp

Cookie Jan 2nd 2009 1:53 pm

Not sure about the tickets etc but don't you think your wedding ceremony may be blighted by having it during a very stressful time for everyone - people weeping because you are moving away instead of being happy you got married. The last few days of emigrating is a stressful time..................

IckleHelen Jan 2nd 2009 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do (Post 7119494)
Not sure about the tickets etc but don't you think your wedding ceremony may be blighted by having it during a very stressful time for everyone - people weeping because you are moving away instead of being happy you got married. The last few days of emigrating is a stressful time..................

I see your point, but after being together for 10 years I think they'll be happy we eventually decided to tie the knot. If we waited until we were living in Canada many would not have seen us get married at all. It is only going to be a simple wedding, it's the marriage bit thats important not the wedding day.

christmasoompa Jan 2nd 2009 3:04 pm

I can see why you'd want to do it, although will think you very brave if you manage a wedding ceremony the day before emigrating!! I'd still be up to my eyes in packing, stress, crying, tearing my hair out etc, etc, - I'd be far from a serene bride!

:rofl:

FlirtyKnickers Jan 2nd 2009 3:05 pm

Congratulations..xxx

All the best for the wedding day Helen....i'll thrilled for you:wub::wub:

bluemoon1 Jan 2nd 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 7119340)
Thanks.

I was reading the Home Office website http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply...ng-married.asp

Hi yes you can get one of these forms filled in by the person performing the ceremony and then they give it back to you to send off for a passport.
When are you planning on going to Canada? Don't forget that if you want to book a civil wedding you have to wait 16 days after giving notice of your intention to marry before you can go ahead with the wedding - don't leave it too late:eek:

IckleHelen Jan 2nd 2009 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by bluemoon1 (Post 7119725)
Hi yes you can get one of these forms filled in by the person performing the ceremony and then they give it back to you to send off for a passport.
When are you planning on going to Canada? Don't forget that if you want to book a civil wedding you have to wait 16 days after giving notice of your intention to marry before you can go ahead with the wedding - don't leave it too late:eek:

The weddings booked for 20th March and we fly out 21st March.

IckleHelen Jan 2nd 2009 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7119672)
I can see why you'd want to do it, although will think you very brave if you manage a wedding ceremony the day before emigrating!! I'd still be up to my eyes in packing, stress, crying, tearing my hair out etc, etc, - I'd be far from a serene bride!

:rofl:

We will move out of the flat the day before, so need to work to have it all sorted a day earlier than original planned.

IckleHelen Jan 2nd 2009 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers (Post 7119675)
Congratulations..xxx

All the best for the wedding day Helen....i'll thrilled for you:wub::wub:

Thank you

AdamBrown Jan 2nd 2009 4:38 pm

We did a similar thing. All be it we left it two weeks before we left for our new life. It saves having a going away party as the reception takes care of that.

My wife kept her maiden name for the first year we were here as we were waiting for our PR card and on a work Visa. Once the PR card came through she renewed her passport over here to my name and then changed her PR card. Really easy to do once you are over here, takes a few weeks but once you are here you`ve got loads of time to sort it out. London takes ages to do anything you`ll find once you are here they are really quick to sort things out.

Congratulation and enjoy the day and your new life over here.

rach_woz99 Jan 2nd 2009 4:43 pm

If I were you, I would just send off for your new passport once you have arrived in Canada and got through immigration. I think explaining a new passport, no PR card/PR in a different name and a wedding might be a bit much!

I must say though, the week before we emigrated I was a wreck with everyone wailing and saying good bye, I cried for most of the week and I am not the sentimental type at all. I was absolutely exhausted that last two weeks and am fondly told by my family "Ï looked terrible and worn out" - :blink: thanks! Just might be worth a thought as you have time to bring the wedding forward if you so choose!

Good luck with it whatever you do, and have a fabulous day!
Rachel

adele Jan 2nd 2009 5:08 pm

Just wanted to say congratulations Ickle Helen!!! :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll get it all planned and sorted so that you're excited and happy about both 'big days', I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time and like you say so nice for everyone to see you get married :wub:

Wishing you lots of luck and happiness for the future,

Adele xxx

IckleHelen Jan 2nd 2009 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by AdamBrown (Post 7119926)
We did a similar thing. All be it we left it two weeks before we left for our new life. It saves having a going away party as the reception takes care of that.

My wife kept her maiden name for the first year we were here as we were waiting for our PR card and on a work Visa. Once the PR card came through she renewed her passport over here to my name and then changed her PR card. Really easy to do once you are over here, takes a few weeks but once you are here you`ve got loads of time to sort it out. London takes ages to do anything you`ll find once you are here they are really quick to sort things out.

Congratulation and enjoy the day and your new life over here.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I'll just sort it all out after the fact.:D Cheers