British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Getting a Life Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/getting-life-insurance-630189/)

DESERTFOX Sep 11th 2009 5:12 am

Getting a Life Insurance

Hi all,

We went to see a financial advisor today discussing our financial and long term needs. One that we consider getting is Term Insurance. On the application ask about our SIN. As I forgot to ask him, I would like to ask you guys if it is a mandatory requirement if you apply for an insurance? Thanks.

Steve_P Sep 11th 2009 2:11 pm

Re: Getting a Life Insurance

Originally Posted by DESERTFOX (Post 7922199)
Hi all,

We went to see a financial advisor today discussing our financial and long term needs. One that we consider getting is Term Insurance. On the application ask about our SIN. As I forgot to ask him, I would like to ask you guys if it is a mandatory requirement if you apply for an insurance? Thanks.

No.

Fact Sheet: Social Insurance Number

Aviator Sep 11th 2009 2:15 pm

Be careful who you give out your SIN to. I rarely give it out.

Steve_P Sep 11th 2009 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7923191)
I rarely give it out unless it out.

:confused::confused:

DESERTFOX Sep 11th 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I've emailed the financial advisor and replied that if not born in Canada I need to provide my SIN# or PR card. I am not happy to give our SIN# but we don't have a PR card either as we are on a TWP. Will that be a reason to decline our application? Or should we provide our a copy of our TWP instead? :confused: many thanks.

Yoong Sep 11th 2009 6:25 pm

Don't forget your employer provides group life insurance as your
benefit.Check with HR about how much is the pay out to your beneficiary.
That might help you and your spouse decide how much coverage is needed
for your family's needs.By the way how is your new job?

Yoong

triumphguy Sep 11th 2009 8:27 pm

Group life is typically twice income: for a family with a mortgage, car loans, other debts and depending on two incomes to bring up their kids, that is not enough.

Novocastrian Sep 11th 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by triumphguy (Post 7923990)
Group life is typically twice income: for a family with a mortgage, car loans, other debts and depending on two incomes to bring up their kids, that is not enough.

Is it? Mine's 3.5 times annual income. I've no idea what's typical.

Steve_P Sep 11th 2009 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7924224)
Is it? Mine's 3.5 times annual income. I've no idea what's typical.

Mine was twice annual income it is now decreasing annually until I turn 65 then it virtually disappears.:(

That'll be just about the time I pop me clogs.:ohmy::eek:

dinger24 Sep 11th 2009 11:23 pm

I am on the look out for a decent pair of clogs :D
Anyway seeing we are on about insurance, I have had the same insurance broker for over 20 years he has been fantastic but now that I am looking at immigration he has come up with the idea that a very cheap policy that will (on me hanging up my hat and slipping off me old clogs) that will give a small lump sum for the kids, this is a British based policy that covers me even when I am living abroad. Has anyone heard of such a thing?