Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a job on the IEC 2014

Getting a job on the IEC 2014

Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:48 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job on the IEC 2014

Originally Posted by Shard
Are they able to continue working while their status is in limbo (assuming that they have applied under one of the other 50 programs)?
Don't think so.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Are they able to continue working while their status is in limbo (assuming that they have applied under one of the other 50 programs)?
If they applied for a new work permit (not an extension of the IEC one) and received it before the IEC one expires then Yes they can carry on working under the new work permit.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If they applied for a new work permit (not an extension of the IEC one) and received it before the IEC one expires then Yes they can carry on working under the new work permit.
Good for the OP to know. Carry on, OP.

(...and thanks FL for your valuable input as always).
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't put that you only have a one year visa on your resume or cover letter and don't even mention it unless they ask, also make sure your resume is set out properly they do it differently over here. Plus stay in contact with the employer, phone them and ask for an updates etc.

There are plenty of jobs about it just needs to be approached correctly
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, having your cake and eating it just doesn't work in this world. XD

I mean, for example, I think that a career mum & a stay-at-home mum are both valid ways to provide support for a child, but they both have their pros and cons to them. It's a big struggle to get the balance right. You can be there to pick them up from school every single day, or you can earn enough money to send them through amazing universities. I came to Canada expecting that it was going to affect all of my career aspirations, but for me, that was something that I was willing to do in order to actually be able to get out here. I wouldn't be surprised if only a lucky few would be able to get both without a lot of hard work in the middle.

I'm also have a degree and am looking for a job in BC. I am expecting to end up working at Tim Horton's or similar. A year or two doing such jobs as this will give me enough time to establish myself here and will hopefully give me enough experience to land a better job. Future employers will also see that I really intend to stick it out here, rather than leaving after a year; it would make a me a better candidate. Also, from my perspective... I'd rather do a retail job such as that to make ends meet, because it will really motivate me to keep looking and trying for the right job, rather than end up in some admin or office job that I'd get bored of fast, but feel too comfortable to leave.

As a side note, I have a friend who is a citizen here, who is a qualified electrician who has been looking for work for six months. It's difficult for everyone atm, not just temporary workers.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:37 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oaken
Don't put that you only have a one year visa on your resume or cover letter and don't even mention it unless they ask, also make sure your resume is set out properly they do it differently over here. Plus stay in contact with the employer, phone them and ask for an updates etc.

There are plenty of jobs about it just needs to be approached correctly
What happens when you get to the interview?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
Unfortunately, having your cake and eating it just doesn't work in this world. XD

I mean, for example, I think that a career mum & a stay-at-home mum are both valid ways to provide support for a child, but they both have their pros and cons to them. It's a big struggle to get the balance right. You can be there to pick them up from school every single day, or you can earn enough money to send them through amazing universities. I came to Canada expecting that it was going to affect all of my career aspirations, but for me, that was something that I was willing to do in order to actually be able to get out here. I wouldn't be surprised if only a lucky few would be able to get both without a lot of hard work in the middle.

I'm also have a degree and am looking for a job in BC. I am expecting to end up working at Tim Horton's or similar. A year or two doing such jobs as this will give me enough time to establish myself here and will hopefully give me enough experience to land a better job. Future employers will also see that I really intend to stick it out here, rather than leaving after a year; it would make a me a better candidate. Also, from my perspective... I'd rather do a retail job such as that to make ends meet, because it will really motivate me to keep looking and trying for the right job, rather than end up in some admin or office job that I'd get bored of fast, but feel too comfortable to leave.

As a side note, I have a friend who is a citizen here, who is a qualified electrician who has been looking for work for six months. It's difficult for everyone atm, not just temporary workers.
Tim Hortons? Stay at home mom? Just arrived/Essex? Congratulations, a thoroughly confusing post.

Why not work at the boring office, be given some more responsibility, make connections inside and outside the company, learn something of the business and move on? Higher aspirations please.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:42 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by cbrown89
What happens when you get to the interview?
You downplay the immigration obstacles in order to get the job. An unaware employer will go along. With a more aware employer you can start talking constructively about how they can assist you in getting the new visa.