Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting immediate family into Canada during Covid

Getting immediate family into Canada during Covid

Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting immediate family into Canada during Covid

Originally Posted by scilly
I heard on the radio over the weekend that police in one province (can't remember which one) had arrested 2 Americans who had entered and not gone into quarantine ............. $1,000 fine each.
Twas Ontario (albeit west of Thunder Bay!):

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ules-1.5011388
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if I was a mother with a baby who was only about 1 year old (assuming 12 month maternity leave plus lock down), I would most certainly be playing it safe, and not asking even my mother to come from England and enter the baby's bubble without at least 14 days quarantine.

I
Aren't there any teenagers in the neighbourhood wanting work over the summer??????????????
Yikes, teenagers and others in the 14 to 30 age group are the ones in the US spreading the virus..... they are out and about everywhere. The last people one would want to babysit for you.....
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Yikes, teenagers and others in the 14 to 30 age group are the ones in the US spreading the virus..... they are out and about everywhere. The last people one would want to babysit for you.....
I wouldn't trust a infant a few months old with a teenager either, irrespective of the coronavirus pandemic or not.

FWIW My wife didn't even trust her mother to babysit when little Miss P was born!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 7th 2020 at 7:34 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how old the teenager is, and whether they've done any kind of babysitting course ............ there was one here run by the Red Cross that gave out a certificate at the end, and also included babies under 1 year old. My daughter took that course at age 12, and got lots of jobs in the first 2 years then decided there'd been one OPK (Other People's Kid) too many

But there's also neighbours who might like to make a little money looking after a baby.

There's all kinds of help out there if one needs it .......... I didn't have any help at all when my baby was born AND I had to go back to work after 6 weeks. A neighbour had a baby a few months old, was at home all day, and loved the idea of being paid to look after another baby.

But also, Canada is a little different from you down in the States. There's lots of responsible teens and 20s who have been behaving themselves, and keeping in their bubbles since mid-March. Toronto seems to have had the worse episodes!

Mind you .............. these options all need people to be paid, and mums are considered to be free help. Not sure why they should be expected to look after children all day without getting paid for it, but then that was not a done thing in ether my or OH's family.

Old Jul 10th 2020, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

unobscure is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by miffy85
From the UK. Coming over to take care of my child so I can return to work (my mat leave ended during this period of shutting things down).
YMMV - this is just my experience coming from a different country but I am pretty sure that "child minding" will not be seen as essential travel.

My Canadian wife and I were moving to Canada from Hong Kong. We sold our home, moved our money to Canada and shipped our belongings (and then Covid happened). Despite being married to a Canadian citizen I was refused boarding at the airport because "we think your just a tourist" (non-essential travel).

The proof of sale was dismissed because my name wasn't on it (my wife bought the flat before we married but it was my/our home)
Money moved was irrelevant (many reasons to move money)
Our furniture shipment was dismissed because (although it was being shipped to Canada) it had no final address*

Just being married to/related to a Canadian isn't necessarily enough to get you onto the aircraft if your reason for travel is deemed non-essential.

Note: After collecting more documentation and returning a few weeks later and enduring a tense 40 minutes at the airport I was able to board. The person in HK who (along with the Candian Immigration) granted permission told us that the week before she had had to refuse boarding to a woman (because she was not a Canadian) even though her mother lives in Canada and had one week to live. She had to tell the woman to go home and Skype her dying Mum.

* we were too smart for our own good and didn't give the shippers a final address because we were planning to go to Vancouver Island (pre the introduction of quarantine) but suspected that the Govt would introduce quarantine thus requiring us to change the delivery destination. That lack of detail resulted in it being dismissed (even though it was going to somewhere in Canada).
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Can you parents hang out in a rental for 2 weeks for their quarantine period? I know of one home in our subdivision that clearly had people self isolating in a sizable camper trailer on their driveway. I thought that was pretty smart way of doing it., Maybe you could rent one for the two weeks or borrow one?
I am assuming they will be here for a few months, so just a thought that may work
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

But is it not illegal for grandparents to come for a "visit" to Canada, and then babysit for free?

That it is considered taking a job away from a Canadian?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But is it not illegal for grandparents to come for a "visit" to Canada, and then babysit for free?

That it is considered taking a job away from a Canadian?
See posts #8, and #9, above.