Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting immediate family into Canada during Covid

Getting immediate family into Canada during Covid

Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

miffy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting immediate family into Canada during Covid

Any citizens/PRs been successful getting their immediate family into Canada? My neighbour's US citizen parents were able to cross the land border into BC, but it took two attempts!
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting immediate family into Canada during Covid

Immediate family members are OK as long as they meet the definition and can prove it on entering Canada.
An immediate family member is defined as ahttps://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#immediate

Unfortunately the 30 year old son/daughter you want to get in does not count unless they are a dependent child.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Former Lancastrian, I've been reading the same. I'm wanting to bring my mum and step-dad over (although I'm a bit iffy on the definition of step-parent, as they aren't married). I even called CBSA and they told me only my actual mother and father would be allowed in, which isn't in line with the Canada.ca website! (Are they just making it up as they go along?!) Therefore wondering if anyone had any first hand experience :-)
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miffy85
Thanks Former Lancastrian, I've been reading the same. I'm wanting to bring my mum and step-dad over (although I'm a bit iffy on the definition of step-parent, as they aren't married). I even called CBSA and they told me only my actual mother and father would be allowed in, which isn't in line with the Canada.ca website! (Are they just making it up as they go along?!) Therefore wondering if anyone had any first hand experience :-)

Where are you bringing them over from? and is this for a visit or are they emigrating to Canada?
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Where are you bringing them over from? and is this for a visit or are they emigrating to Canada?
From the UK. Coming over to take care of my child so I can return to work (my mat leave ended during this period of shutting things down).
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I would read this link but even then the final decision rests with the examining officer

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...diens-eng.html
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

From the UK. Coming over to take care of my child so I can return to work (my mat leave ended during this period of shutting things down).
Coming over as a visitor or you are sponsoring them for an immigrant visa - which they have now received.

Sorry, but your answer is somewhat confusing.

Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So they are coming over to visit you ...... and incidental to the visit they will child mind when you are at work, temporarily, - but that isn't the reason they are coming (or they might have needed a work permit ---
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...t-is-work.html
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1288&top=17

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 7th 2020 at 5:04 am.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
So they are coming over to visit you ...... and incidental to the visit they will child mind when you are at work, temporarily, - but that isn't the reason they are coming (or they might have needed a work permit .....
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to tread on any Canadian toes.

They should be careful what they say at the immigration desk, as the wrong words could, in theory at least, lead to highly undesirable consequences! I would lean towards saying that they are visiting to see their new grandchild and saying nothing about any possible child minding.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you, I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to tread on any Canadian toes.

They should be careful what they say at the immigration desk, as the wrong words could, in theory at least, lead to highly undesirable consequences! I would lean towards saying that they are visiting to see their new grandchild and saying nothing about any possible child minding.
and have plans for quarantine laid out.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

So they are coming over to visit you ...... and incidental to the visit they will child mind when you are at work, temporarily, - but that isn't the reason they are coming (or they might have needed a work permit ---
I was thinking this very thing, but not sure how to phrase it nicely!

Also, what about quarantine? Can they move straight into the house here and begin looking after a baby without going through 14 days first?? I wouldn't think that is very wise, even if allowed!
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I am coming to the conclusion they are only visiting.

The OP evidently thinks this is an essential journey as she needs to return to work and has no child care. How the border officials will view grandparents visiting is another thing - presumably why she mentioned that other people had only entered Canada after a second try.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
..... Can they move straight into the house here and begin looking after a baby without going through 14 days first?? I wouldn't think that is very wise, even if allowed!
Much of the whole coronavirus situation can be reduced to the difference between what you are allowed to do and what you should do (what it is sensible to do).

The default for many people seems to be that they should do as many as possible of the things that are allowed.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Much of the whole coronavirus situation can be reduced to the difference between what you are allowed to do and what you should do (what it is sensible to do).

The default for many people seems to be that they should do as many as possible of the things that are allowed.
Well, if I was a mother with a baby who was only about 1 year old (assuming 12 month maternity leave plus lock down), I would most certainly be playing it safe, and not asking even my mother to come from England and enter the baby's bubble without at least 14 days quarantine.

I would also add that, depending on the province, there are regular checks made on people who have been told to do the 14 days.

I heard on the radio over the weekend that police in one province (can't remember which one) had arrested 2 Americans who had entered and not gone into quarantine ............. $1,000 fine each.

Punishment for not obeying can range up to imprisonment.

Aren't there any teenagers in the neighbourhood wanting work over the summer??????????????
Old Jul 7th 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by scilly
..... I heard on the radio over the weekend that police in one province (can't remember which one) had arrested 2 Americans who had entered and not gone into quarantine ............. $1,000 fine each.

Punishment for not obeying can range up to imprisonment. .....
14 days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.