Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a GP in Toronto

Getting a GP in Toronto

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough
Default Getting a GP in Toronto

Hey everyone

Anybody have any advice on how to actually get access to a GP in Toronto? For the record I am not female nor am I expecting a baby. Other than that it seems impossible.

I've used http://www.cpso.on.ca/ (to locate available doctors) without success and seem unable to join a waiting list of any description. Am I supposed to take my ingrowing toenail down to A&E (sorry ER over here)? I'm sure I'd be loved and put to the top of the waiting list for that little emergency

On a serious note I am concerned that I'm paying into a system I have no access too (just like back home eh?) and I really want a doctor.

Help from all of you guys would be most welcome and recently arrived doctors feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks all!

Wayne
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a GP in Toronto

I've never bothered getting a GP and would take something like the toenail to a walk in clinic.

My daughter thinks having a GP is a good idea and so walked in to the East End Community Health Care facility at Queen and Coxwell and got one. It didn't seem to be any great bother.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne

I've used http://www.cpso.on.ca/ (to locate available doctors) without success and seem unable to join a waiting list of any description. Am I supposed to take my ingrowing toenail down to A&E (sorry ER over here)? I'm sure I'd be loved and put to the top of the waiting list for that little emergency

On a serious note I am concerned that I'm paying into a system I have no access too (just like back home eh?) and I really want a doctor.
Similar problems in Alberta our GP of 33 years is retiring at end of this year and we're having difficulty finding a new one.

Not this helps find a GP but do they not have walk in clinics in Ontario.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not this helps find a GP but do they not have walk in clinics in Ontario.
They do. When I took up with my domestic partner she complained that I had a large and ugly growth on my face. I had not bothered with it but, since she was having a superficial moment, I wandered into the clinic at Danforth and Woodbine and asked when they could chop it off. "Not now" they said, "come back this afternoon". I did and they did. I would expect similar service for the toe nail. If you go to the one at Coxwell and Gerrard and speak nicely to them they'll even fail to notice the lack of an OHIP card. Seems a fine arrangement to me, I don't know how a GP would be better.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
They do. When I took up with my domestic partner she complained that I had a large and ugly growth on my face. I had not bothered with it but, since she was having a superficial moment, I wandered into the clinic at Danforth and Woodbine and asked when they could chop it off. "Not now" they said, "come back this afternoon". I did and they did. I would expect similar service for the toe nail. If you go to the one at Coxwell and Gerrard and speak nicely to them they'll even fail to notice the lack of an OHIP card. Seems a fine arrangement to me, I don't know how a GP would be better.
I remember you having a growth, I just can't remember where it was. It's not particularly important; just bugging me.

<tidies sock drawer again>
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I remember you having a growth, I just can't remember where it was.
I certainly hope it was someplace reasonably obvious otherwise I'm going to have start becoming a little suspicious of you two regardless of your comments regarding significant others.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I remember you having a growth, I just can't remember where it was. It's not particularly important; just bugging me.

<tidies sock drawer again>
Picture's a big buggered but this is the scar.
Attached Thumbnails Getting a GP in Toronto-105_0566.jpg  
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:07 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

You still have access, you just dont have access to the same doctor every time. If you did have a doctor who turned out to be an asshole (and it does happen), then using the urgent care clinics can seem like a benefit.

Anyway I digress. Keep an eye out in the local media for any new family doctors arriving in the area and go register on the waiting list. Utilise the local health unit for info on doctors taking patients, talk to friends and aquantainces, often the jungle tellegraph and word of mouth are a good "in", and finally our town hall keeps a waiting list open too, so its worth contacting your local municipality, often they are tasked with coordinating doctor recruitment. It can be done Good Luck!

In my pre GP days I took my ingrown toenail to the walk in clinic, who filled out a Px for me to take to the local foot guy (podiatrists) so I could claim on my insurance, and he took me in and did a lovely bilateral avulsion. No need to go near the ER. If you dont have any insurance to claim on, skip the doctor and go straight to a podiatrist. Probably be about $500 now though. Worth every penny though.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jul 3rd 2007 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone

Anybody have any advice on how to actually get access to a GP in Toronto? For the record I am not female nor am I expecting a baby. Other than that it seems impossible.

Help from all of you guys would be most welcome and recently arrived doctors feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks all!

Wayne
What part of Toronto are you looking? This is about the only place in Canada where it's supposed to be easy to find a GP. All the doctors prefer to stay in the city/GTA rather than move out to the sticks. Less work for more money here.

And Steve_P, of course we have walk-in clinics in Ontario.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What part of Toronto are you looking? This is about the only place in Canada where it's supposed to be easy to find a GP. All the doctors prefer to stay in the city/GTA rather than move out to the sticks. Less work for more money here.

Thank you for your advice all. I'm at younge and lawrence and my nearest doctors are at Sunnybrook hospital. Soccer mum and suv hell around here (nobody walks it seems), nothing actually on younge street in this area but have now found clinics at davisville and st clair west.

Wayne
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:19 pm

Picture's a big buggered but this is the scar.
Was that taken during your Surrealist phase?

I fancy that it's your head. That would make sense. I don't recall looking at many other bits of your flesh.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Well exxxxxcccccuuuuuussssse me.

Did I really have to state the obvious?

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 3rd 2007 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Was that taken during your Surrealist phase?

I fancy that it's your head. That would make sense. I don't recall looking at many other bits of your flesh.

It's my retrospectively cubist phase. And my chin.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:27 pm

It's my retrospectively cubist phase. And my chin.
I remember now.........

<slips into Austin Powers mode>
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 5:01 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Call a GP and ask if they know of anyone taking on new Patients, a Walk In Centre may also know of someone.

Part of the problem, and I know I will get flack, is that many GP's are now female and many of the younger ones need time off for family or will not take on the same case load as a male because of Family Commitments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.