Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

getting furniture from UK to here, when you are here

getting furniture from UK to here, when you are here

Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting furniture from UK to here, when you are here

My mum and brother have some furniture that they don't want. My dad made them and I think they are lovely and want them. How would I go about getting them here, would it be the usual furniture removers or pack them up and send them??

There are 4 dining chairs, a small round dining table and a sofa table.

Any ideas and guesses on costs would be appreciated.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:39 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: getting furniture from UK to here, when you are here

See if anybody on the forum is shipping a container out to Canada?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:49 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
My mum and brother have some furniture that they don't want. My dad made them and I think they are lovely and want them. How would I go about getting them here, would it be the usual furniture removers or pack them up and send them??

There are 4 dining chairs, a small round dining table and a sofa table.

Any ideas and guesses on costs would be appreciated.
Hi there! My cousin used these people when he shipped some items from the UK to Canada a few years back. He inherited a few nice pieces of furniture from an uncle and he too was unsure about how to ship them over - this company were very helpful in pointing him in the right direction and costs were very reasonable.

Good luck! J
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jingle
Hi there! My cousin used these people to ship some items from the UK to Canada. He inherited a few nice pieces of furniture from an uncle and he too was unsure about how to ship them over - this company were very helpful and costs were very reasonable.

Good luck! J
Gosh thanks, will have a look see
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by purple80
See if anybody on the forum is shipping a container out to Canada?
I can see logistics problems in that. Not to mention customs and excise.. but thanks for the thought Purps.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:00 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I can see logistics problems in that. Not to mention customs and excise.. but thanks for the thought Purps.
where's your sense of adventure
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
where's your sense of adventure
sadly lacking when it comes to officialdom.

I looked at that site and need measurements and weights to get an estimate of costs. So while I wait for my brother to get the time to do that does anyone have a rough idea of how much it could be??

We're talking heavy mahogany and oak.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:33 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

When my mum passed away i shipped a few items over (well more than a few) inc a dolls house
I used a courier to bring them, the only thing i can advise on customs is ask brother to send them to you as gift, that way getting away from the tax's...

I sent them myself, luckily i was at the airport a couple of days later and cleared them myself, otherwise i would of had to pay tax's on them
Hope that helps

LB
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
When my mum passed away i shipped a few items over (well more than a few) inc a dolls house
I used a courier to bring them, the only thing i can advise on customs is ask brother to send them to you as gift, that way getting away from the tax's...

I sent them myself, luckily i was at the airport a couple of days later and cleared them myself, otherwise i would of had to pay tax's on them
Hope that helps

LB
On the tax point, you're allowed $60 per person before you get a tax bill.
We received some clothes for my daughters birthday and had to pay $71 in tax to the courier before he would hand over the box.
We receive items fairly often from the UK- by mail or courier- and nearly all have been opened and checked by customs.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

sadly lacking when it comes to officialdom.

I looked at that site and need measurements and weights to get an estimate of costs. So while I wait for my brother to get the time to do that does anyone have a rough idea of how much it could be??

We're talking heavy mahogany and oak.
One assumes that you will be shipping via seafreight rather than air? (Air being massively more expensive.) Rough estimate door to door somewhere around $600-800. Likely you will not have to pay import duty but you will have to pay HST.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

We would send them seafreight for sure.

I don't know how we can value them. Dad made them and they are excellent quality but we never paid a penny for them so how can they work out how to tax them? They would be gifts really as they are now Mum's and brother's possessions.

Still, I would like them and less than $1000 would be OK to pay.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:41 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Tricky I know, but you do need to declare a value for customs purposes even if they are a gift. Probably the best thing to do is to set a nominal reasonable value say $200 and go from there.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:43 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
On the tax point, you're allowed $60 per person before you get a tax bill.
We received some clothes for my daughters birthday and had to pay $71 in tax to the courier before he would hand over the box.
We receive items fairly often from the UK- by mail or courier- and nearly all have been opened and checked by customs.
We just received our uk xmas parcel with loads in it, weight over 15kg and value over $60, we paid $7 handling and nothing else
On parcels last year we never paid anything with canada post, but my brother uses courier where my mother used standard post.
They need to mark as gifts.........
i just got something from the US and asked them to mark gift and never got charged, so i suppose it depends who people us
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Tricky I know, but you do need to declare a value for customs purposes even if they are a gift. Probably the best thing to do is to set a nominal reasonable value say $200 and go from there.
The other thing to think about is that you would need a cost for insurance incase they were lost or damaged on the way over...

You would want that to be a reasonable amount so that you could replace them with something like for like.

It would be heartbreaking if they did get lost or damaged, but at least if they were insured and had a reasonable value put on them you could replace them with something else.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chookie
The other thing to think about is that you would need a cost for insurance incase they were lost or damaged on the way over...

You would want that to be a reasonable amount so that you could replace them with something like for like.

It would be heartbreaking if they did get lost or damaged, but at least if they were insured and had a reasonable value put on them you could replace them with something else.
We couldn't replace them, there would be no point really as Dad wouldn't have made the replacements. Maybe insure for repairing any damages.

I just had an email back from the people Jingle suggested and they don't pack anything in the UK.

edit: Here's a photo of the sofa table, the dining chairs are Chippendale type and the table a pedestal
Attached Thumbnails getting furniture from UK to here, when you are here-table.bmp.jpg  

Last edited by fledermaus; Dec 14th 2009 at 7:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.