Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gettin Finance when landed permanently

Wikiposts

Gettin Finance when landed permanently

Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:08 am
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future
Default Gettin Finance when landed permanently

Hi, we are in the final stages of our journey, we officially landed in Dec 08 but just waiting for house to sell!!!!. Does anyone have any info on applying for finance once we get there. We will obviously have the money from our house but that will probably go on the deposit for house. We will need cars and other items no doubt which we will need finance for. As we have no credit history over there just wondered where we stood, how easy or difficult is it? Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:31 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gettin Finance when landed permanently

Originally Posted by The Wortley`s
Hi, we are in the final stages of our journey, we officially landed in Dec 08 but just waiting for house to sell!!!!. Does anyone have any info on applying for finance once we get there. We will obviously have the money from our house but that will probably go on the deposit for house. We will need cars and other items no doubt which we will need finance for. As we have no credit history over there just wondered where we stood, how easy or difficult is it? Thanks
Once you have your PR, proper SIN number etc, you should find it relatively easy to get finance. You're in a stronger position than most because you'll have a wedge of cash with you.
Speak to the banks. If one says no, try a different company.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:43 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We got ourselves an Amex card in the UK a few months before we left. Once we got to Canada they let us swap it for a Canadian one with a reasonable limit to start us off with (it took a couple of chats with different people at the call centre though!). Gives you something that you can get a bit of credit history with.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

We came over with a big wad of cash but it didn't help us get finance any easier!! We managed to get a mortgage from the bank I had set up my personal and business account with - no-one else would offer us anything until we had built up a credit history in Canada of at least 3-6 months, unless we were willing to put a 25% deposit down.

I managed to get car finance with Nissan, but with strict conditions and a large deposit.

I got a credit card with my business account which I try to buy everything on and pay it off, just to build up some more credit history.

The bank and Nissan wanted to see up to date credit reports from Equifax (mine was excellent btw) before they would even consider me for credit.

We tried to get some furniture on 'buy now pay later' but because we didn't have at least 6 months credit history, we were refused - even though I earn good money.