Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geting a Job in the oil sands?

salmonfella - We will be interested to follow your progress - please do keep us posted.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:58 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

I will indeed lol cold in ireland tonight its a whole -4
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

getting you acclimatized for Canada. - 4 degrees here is relatively balmy in winter - if you plan on going to Fort McMurray it will be more like - 40 degrees!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:06 am

Oh i no i was just messin i have worked to temps of -20 in the past so i no what that feels like but -40 should be fun but saying that i have survived on the bogs so i should be alrite
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:23 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thistlehollyberry
getting you acclimatized for Canada. - 4 degrees here is relatively balmy in winter - if you plan on going to Fort McMurray it will be more like - 40 degrees!
Not everyone in the oilpatch work in Fort Mac, (tar sands = Fort Mac, drilling for oil and natural gas = anywhere) you could get a rig that gets sent to the arctic. Have fun with that one !
Old Dec 6th 2012, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

You'll regret giving up Ireland for the absolute dump known as Ft Mac , that's always supposing you get a job which covers your cost of living , think hard , very hard
Better off trying the Bakkan field around Southern SK , Estevan area . Try a few companies like Carson Energy or Canyon Tech Services , chances are they'll pay travel expenses either end of shift ( including internal flights ).
Obviously your choice but I've been to Ft Mac a number of times through work and it's full of smackheads and whores
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:33 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
You'll regret giving up Ireland for the absolute dump known as Ft Mac , that's always supposing you get a job which covers your cost of living , think hard , very hard
Better off trying the Bakkan field around Southern SK , Estevan area . Try a few companies like Carson Energy or Canyon Tech Services , chances are they'll pay travel expenses either end of shift ( including internal flights ).
Obviously your choice but I've been to Ft Mac a number of times through work and it's full of smackheads and whores
Well with all that testosterone and money up there, I'd say that would be a pretty profitable line of work to get into
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:20 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...-2Apzy5mc&NR=1
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:45 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Drilling/rig jobs are only a tiny fraction of the work up in the oilsands. There are dozens of multi-million/multi-billion dollar plants under construction here, employing tens of thousands of people with industrial construction experience.

You fellows frm Ireland with industrial electrical experince should check out Irish electrical firm Kentz... they're working up here and I know they've brought over plenty Irish sparks.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:17 pm

Tryed kentz before got the usual reply that they were not hireing at the moment..thanks for all the replys and good comments i would love to get a job leasehand and try to get to maybe within my 2 year visa try to move up the ranks to a motorman that would be my dream anyway i no the advantages are huge but so are the benifits thanks ross
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

Any word on how you got on salmonfella?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
Any word on how you got on salmonfella?
This thread is nearly a year old and Salmonfella hasn't been on the forum for a very long time!

If you have questions for members and the thread in question is older than a month or so, it would be better if you sent a PM instead. That way old threads don't get bumped up, but also they're far more likely to see a PM via their notifications than to see your response to their thread if they haven't been on the forum for several months.

Thx.