Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:50 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Ok since your are an new zealandr i think we should stop this little argument .. was just talking to mates earlier who are in cc said its an amazing country they were out at the bay of plenty last weekend and in Auckland
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:02 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmonfella
Ok since your are an new zealandr i think we should stop this little argument .. was just talking to mates earlier who are in cc said its an amazing country they were out at the bay of plenty last weekend and in Auckland
it's a lovely place to visit but I would never live there again. I'm glad your mates are having a good time.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Since she's spent a lot more time in Canada than you have, don't you think she might be worth listening to? Even just a little bit?

I don't think you'll find any of the things you listed in your first thread. Maybe you should try and make things work a little closer to home. Couldn't you finish your training by volunteering if you have to? If you're already on the dole (yes we know what that is), what have you got to lose? Can you even get an IEC for what you want to do, with no qualifications or experience? I've never applied for one so don't know.

Never been to Alberda, never heard anyone that enthusiastic about living there and working in the tar sands either. And Kiwilass, I agree with you. The environment should be more important than people after some 'easy' money, which will likely not materialise, better make sure you have enough for your return air fare.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:28 pm

I was only joking with the previous poster.. i think u my friend should hop back in to your bed and get out of it the right side as your post comes across very negative...if your were writing on an Irish thread about coming here i would be more then happy to give you advice and not put you down. . suppose i may get use to it thanks for your comment though i will take what you said on board

Last edited by salmonfella; Dec 4th 2012 at 4:08 pm. Reason: Wrong information:)
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch! I'm not a Canadian by the way... And how exactly am I being racist? I think I'll leave that one to you for what you said about Kiwilass If you search for threads on here, you'll find I'm not the only one that might give you that advice. Sorry you think my post is negative, many might call it realistic.

My bed is just fine. Thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:06 pm

Tbh bud i dont really no what to say to that so all i can say it thanks for the comment

Also how is it unrealistic to want to get work in the oil sands. the big thaw will be happening in march/april most the big company's will be taking on general labours working the shift of 14 days on 7 off. pay is 20 dollers and hour for the first 8 hours 30 dollers for the remaining 4 hours .its 12 hours a day..so thats 3920 dollers for the 14 days of which accommodation and food is supplied so i would call that good money i have worked 16 hour days in the past so not afraid to work

Last edited by salmonfella; Dec 4th 2012 at 4:15 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:28 pm

Exkiwilass i didnt meant to come across racist in that comment just a bit of harmless slaggin
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:49 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Exkiwilass i didnt meant to come across racist in that comment just a bit of harmless slaggin
no problem!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:18 pm

Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:42 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Since she's spent a lot more time in Canada than you have, don't you think she might be worth listening to? Even just a little bit?

I don't think you'll find any of the things you listed in your first thread. Maybe you should try and make things work a little closer to home. Couldn't you finish your training by volunteering if you have to? If you're already on the dole (yes we know what that is), what have you got to lose? Can you even get an IEC for what you want to do, with no qualifications or experience? I've never applied for one so don't know.

Never been to Alberda, never heard anyone that enthusiastic about living there and working in the tar sands either. And Kiwilass, I agree with you. The environment should be more important than people after some 'easy' money, which will likely not materialise, better make sure you have enough for your return air fare.
You don't have to be up in the tar sands to work in the oil patch. Most of the guys in my family (actually and two of the girls) work in the oil industry, as consultants, engineers, tool pushes, drillers, welders, surveyors, geologists, motors, derricks and leasehands. Three are currently up in Fort Mac, one's a surveyor, and the others are the welders (one of them a girl) - and yes they hate it. Unfortunately once you get used to the income it's tough to break out of.

They all do the job for the jobs sake, it pays the bills and pays them well. If you have a good work ethic, common sense and determination, you absolutely can make a lot of money - though granted it isn't 'easy' money.

So if the lad wants to go somewhere to try his luck, somewhere you have never been too, then good luck to him.

I'll reiterate again though, it's not all plain sailing and you'll be pounding the pavement before you prove yourself to a company that wil take you on. All you need is that first bit of experience and you can hop onto most rigs. And I know this first hand.

I also think that his electrical experience will come in very handy too. When things break down and you're miles from anywhere - it's all too common for the lads to have to fix things themselves to keep things running until parts / people can come and sort it properly - and a lot of the time those things (certainly from what my hubby moans to me about) tend to be electrical!!!!!

Last edited by mandymoochops; Dec 5th 2012 at 4:44 am.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

I saw this on Kijiji.com.... It sound good if this for you....

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-const...AdIdZ430844212

Good luck

Aqua
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Salmon, I think you have a great positive attitude and coupled with your youth you will do well in AB. Go for it!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Salmon, I think you have a great positive attitude and coupled with your youth you will do well in AB. Go for it!
Cheers for your comment shard if other people can do it why i cant i have sent emails to about 35 company today Irish time so the comapanys should be only seeing them now as its 12.21 am now ireland so far explaining my situation and so far 5 have replayed all very positive they said with the iec visa being up to 24 months this year i could learn an awful lot and really do well and with the big thaw happening in march/april i should be arriving in an ideal time. i no some people don't agree with the oil sands and maybe they took to insult me or try and ruin my plans by saying i better have enough for a plane ticket home etc. but at the end of the day all i am doing is trying to provide a better life for myself i no people reading will probably think oh hes coming to Canada as an unskilled labour we don't need him.but judging from various posts on job sites the people like me are needed as there is actually hundreds of jobs listed for unskilled labours. and as i said i am on a waiting list to get my irish cert for electrician there is a test we take. but due to no fault of mine or the other 5000 redundant apprentices in Ireland there is a huge waiting list and i was told it could be September 2013 before i get my chance to show my skills i have decided instead of sitting at home i am gonna make the move.sorry for the long rant i just wanted to explain my story thanks Ross
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for your comment shard if other people can do it why i cant i have sent emails to about 35 company today Irish time so the comapanys should be only seeing them now as its 12.21 am now ireland so far explaining my situation and so far 5 have replayed all very positive they said with the iec visa being up to 24 months this year i could learn an awful lot and really do well and with the big thaw happening in march/april i should be arriving in an ideal time. i no some people don't agree with the oil sands and maybe they took to insult me or try and ruin my plans by saying i better have enough for a plane ticket home etc. but at the end of the day all i am doing is trying to provide a better life for myself i no people reading will probably think oh hes coming to Canada as an unskilled labour we don't need him.but judging from various posts on job sites the people like me are needed as there is actually hundreds of jobs listed for unskilled labours. and as i said i am on a waiting list to get my irish cert for electrician there is a test we take. but due to no fault of mine or the other 5000 redundant apprentices in Ireland there is a huge waiting list and i was told it could be September 2013 before i get my chance to show my skills i have decided instead of sitting at home i am gonna make the move.sorry for the long rant i just wanted to explain my story thanks Ross
Good story and it's clear you are a determined young guy. Plenty of opportunity in Canada for young people with drive and it doesn't even have to be in the oilsands, though it sounds like you would make some good money and gain good experience out there.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Good story and it's clear you are a determined young guy. Plenty of opportunity in Canada for young people with drive and it doesn't even have to be in the oilsands, though it sounds like you would make some good money and gain good experience out there.

Thanks Shard Hopefully it will work out.ah yea i am always wanting to better myself have a great family and would like to give something back to them so the only way to achieve that is work and learn as much as i can knowledge is wealth and all that..Thanks again Ross

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.