Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:47 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Hey guys/girls i am hopefully going to Calgary in March or April 2013 on the iec visa which will allow me up to 24 months in Canada. i am really hoping to get a job in the oil fields as an unskilled labour i just wondering how easy that might be ? i no the work is hard and hours long but i no i will be able for it as i had been a hard worker up until recently when i got let go from my apprenticeship i had 3 years and 3 months done of an electricians apprenticeship. 5 years in total experiance in the electrical game. i have searched everywhere for a job to finish my time to get my papers but no joy..so instead of staying and the dole (benefits) i want to go to Canada i am 23 will be traveling solo am not afraid of work i will be doing a few safety courses i no of 3 so far First Aid, WHMIS, H2SAlive any more to add to the list? i feel canada could give me a chance to make sumthin of myself and make a bit of money and have a good life geting a bit to old to be depending on people time to make the move..thanks to everyone who takes there time to reply it means a lot
from a cold wet ireland
Ross
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geting a Job in the oil sands?

Hi there, have a quick read through of these

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=nisku

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=nisku

Bare in mind though that if you are starting off as a leasehand / roughneck, most rigs you will work on shut down for what's called Spring Break.

This begins roughly April and can last into June. This is due to the ground that the rigs have to be moved onto thawing and being too soft for heavy equipment to travel. You could be super lucky and score a ob on whats called a pad rig (ie tons of hoels to drill in one location and the rig actually walks itself to the next destination - usually about 20 metres away lol) though it's rare to get on one of these as everyone wants to due to the continuing work.

Any questions then after you have 3 posts you can message me and i'll do my best to answer. Jingsamichty is also another poster that is in the business and can give some good pointers.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:20 pm

Thank you so much will start reading now
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

worriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud ofworriedmom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by salmonfella
Hey guys/girls i am hopefully going to Calgary in March or April 2013 on the iec visa which will allow me up to 24 months in Canada. i am really hoping to get a job in the oil fields as an unskilled labour i just wondering how easy that might be ? i no the work is hard and hours long but i no i will be able for it as i had been a hard worker up until recently when i got let go from my apprenticeship i had 3 years and 3 months done of an electricians apprenticeship. 5 years in total experiance in the electrical game. i have searched everywhere for a job to finish my time to get my papers but no joy..so instead of staying and the dole (benefits) i want to go to Canada i am 23 will be traveling solo am not afraid of work i will be doing a few safety courses i no of 3 so far First Aid, WHMIS, H2SAlive any more to add to the list? i feel canada could give me a chance to make sumthin of myself and make a bit of money and have a good life geting a bit to old to be depending on people time to make the move..thanks to everyone who takes there time to reply it means a lot
from a cold wet ireland
Ross
Hello Salmon fella
I take it you like fishing.Listen to all the advise here here especially LANCASTERIAN -- he is brilliant and knows exactly what he is talking about.My son went to Canada and did it the hard way --he is paying for it now pm me if you want good luck
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worriedmom
Hello Salmon fella
I take it you like fishing.Listen to all the advise here here especially LANCASTERIAN -- he is brilliant and knows exactly what he is talking about.My son went to Canada and did it the hard way --he is paying for it now pm me if you want good luck
What happened if you don't mind me asking, it might help others.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to have your electrical experience checked contact the Provincial government department covering trades:

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/

Click Experienced Workers
Then click Qualification Certificates

My mate who is 55 (former graphic artist) started last year as an apprentice pipefitter in Nisku through Local 488. Starting wage is $22.50 an hour going to $40 and change after 3 year apprenticeship. He took a 2 month pre-apprenticeship course.

Sample camp job for electricians:

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/detail-eng....tdnt=No&PgNum=
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:38 pm

Thanks i had checked that you need 72 months and 9000 hours although i would have the 9000 i would only 60months of which i have proof i worked ..thanks for the comment
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:19 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

it's the tar sands.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:37 pm

hahah from what i have heard its the gold sands
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...search-of-jobs

might want to see if this sort of thing happen again.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:08 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=salmonfella;10413841]hahah from what i have heard its the gold sands[/QUOTE

global warming sands
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:24 pm

Serious money to be made sands
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by salmonfella
Serious money to be made sands
raping alberta sands
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:43 pm

I no but theres noting we can do were only two people so if we cant beat them we might as-well join them
Old Dec 4th 2012, 2:46 pm

we'll just have to agree to disagree on that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.