Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Georgina, Keswick, York County - views?

Georgina, Keswick, York County - views?

Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Georgina, Keswick, York County - views?

We are trying to narrow down by research areas in Ontario which might suit us before we fly out for a look-see. Does anyone have any knowledge of Georgina, Keswick, York County in general? Looks perfect from internet research, but personal views are much more useful.

We are looking for nice, safe community (not too huge and sprawling), good secondary school, leisure activities, work ops, good shopping, transport links to Toronot, access to water for sailing, canoeing etc.

Also, Bellvillle has been recommended.

Any comments, good and bad, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Lara
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Georgina, Keswick, York County - views?

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
We are trying to narrow down by research areas in Ontario which might suit us before we fly out for a look-see. Does anyone have any knowledge of Georgina, Keswick, York County in general? Looks perfect from internet research, but personal views are much more useful.

We are looking for nice, safe community (not too huge and sprawling), good secondary school, leisure activities, work ops, good shopping, transport links to Toronot, access to water for sailing, canoeing etc.

Thanks, Lara
Not sure what water you're thinking of sailing on in Georgina or Keswick, there's plenty of water but that's because much of the land is swamp. Belleville is, of course, on lake Ontario so there's plenty of sailing there, but if it's small boats that interest you and you won't need to go to Toronto every day you might also want to have a look at Orangeville.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Lara
Georgina, Keswick (pronounced kez-wick) are on Lake Simcoe so at least they have the water access you want. But for work opportunities, shopping, transport links to TO, they come up a bit short.

York Region (note, not York County) starts just north of the amalgamated city of Toronto. I live in its southernmost area (see handle) and around here we have all the amenities you're looking for, except immediate access to (large) lakes.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

Thanks, Lara
We live in northern York Region (Aurora) and I would say we have all the access and facilities you need. There are still a lot of nice areas although the growth is very fast and in some areas overwhelming. Keswick etc has a lot going for it in terms of location, lake and cheaper housing. However as someone said it is still suffering a bit for good links to TO though it is going to improve I think. There is a lot of investment happenign up there and a ot of growth planned, so if you want a good investment and don't nee dto go to TO that often it could be a great option.

Gordon
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Georgina, Keswick (pronounced kez-wick) are on Lake Simcoe so at least they have the water access you want.
If you have a water front property that's true but those estates are, I think, a bit beyond the reach of most of us. If you can't afford a lakefront property then access to the water is pretty limited; there are a few boat launches but if you swim from them then the owners of the waterfront property come out and shout at you. The public parks are back behind the houses and across the road. Moving back from Lake Simcoe, I would say that the area bounded by Beaverton, Uxbridge, East Gwillimbury and Georgina is largely swamp. It's ok if you don't mind mosquitoes but prices on mls can be misleading; 20 acres isn't a lot if 1 is island and 19 pond.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you have a water front property that's true but those estates are, I think, a bit beyond the reach of most of us. If you can't afford a lakefront property then access to the water is pretty limited; there are a few boat launches but if you swim from them then the owners of the waterfront property come out and shout at you. The public parks are back behind the houses and across the road. Moving back from Lake Simcoe, I would say that the area bounded by Beaverton, Uxbridge, East Gwillimbury and Georgina is largely swamp. It's ok if you don't mind mosquitoes but prices on mls can be misleading; 20 acres isn't a lot if 1 is island and 19 pond.
True enough. But the OP didn't mention swimming. Canoeing and sailing are possible on Simcoe even if you don't have a private launch site. Of course Lake Simcoe is so shallow, you might just prefer to wade.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Georgina, Keswick (pronounced kez-wick) are on Lake Simcoe so at least they have the water access you want. But for work opportunities, shopping, transport links to TO, they come up a bit short.

York Region (note, not York County) starts just north of the amalgamated city of Toronto. I live in its southernmost area (see handle) and around here we have all the amenities you're looking for, except immediate access to (large) lakes.
Your area sounds good. What are the schools like? We would be looking for son to do grades 11 and 12 and daughter possibly to go to college.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

All this information is so useful, thanks very much. There is nothing like local knowledge, and with so little time to cover such a huge area and make such a major decision it helps to take this into account when refining our search.

Had no idea about the swampy areas! V worrying. We have a mozzie problem here and I don't want more of the same over there.

Lara
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

All this information is so useful, thanks very much. There is nothing like local knowledge, and with so little time to cover such a huge area and make such a major decision it helps to take this into account when refining our search.

Had no idea about the swampy areas! V worrying. We have a mozzie problem here and I don't want more of the same over there.

Lara
I wouldn't pay too much attention to dbd...yes we have the bugs but just like everyone else. The winters are cold and wet and the summers are dry and apart from the current season I haven't noticed these 'swamps' around here. There is extensive sailing on Lake Simcoe and I believe you can access via the canal an even larger area.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:03 pm
Born again atheist

Your area sounds good. What are the schools like? We would be looking for son to do grades 11 and 12 and daughter possibly to go to college.
Hmm. Just yesterday, Judy suggested I should write a wiki article on Richmond Hill. I told her that I didn't think anyone would read it. I might have to re-consider.

The schools (there are several) are OK. Both my sprogs survived with only minor damage.

http://www.yrdsb.edu.on.ca/
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Lara
Whereabouts would you be working? That's the key to choosing a location.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:07 pm
Born again atheist

Lara
Oh, and college. Not far from York University, access to U of T possible but a bit of a commute. Seneca College has a campus in RH and another one in King City a bit further north. Half a dozen other colleges around the GTA.

In live in York Region 4 as defined by mls, www.mls.ca to get a feel for real estate values.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by skigordi
I wouldn't pay too much attention to dbd...yes we have the bugs but just like everyone else. The winters are cold and wet and the summers are dry and apart from the current season I haven't noticed these 'swamps' around here. There is extensive sailing on Lake Simcoe and I believe you can access via the canal an even larger area.
I guess you haven't been to Zephyr or Udora or across the 47/12/7 to Scugog, that or you failed to notice the many "road subject to flooding signs". This place http://www.dogsatcamp.ca/ is unreachable from the west in spring.

The existence of the drainage canal which you mention is, in fact, a bit of a hint that there's a lot of water about.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Whereabouts would you be working? That's the key to choosing a location.
OH looking to lecture at college or uni - or teach managment training. Probably looking at bigger town/city to work in. We thought we would settle somewhere before looking for work, pension kicks in at 50 so we would have a cushion when we come out.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:18 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by skigordi
skigordi will correct me if I'm wrong, but a further advantage of RH compared to Newmarket/Aurora/Keswick is that we are south of the range for blackfly and (most) mozzies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.