Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Generation Jobless

Generation Jobless

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Generation Jobless

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Have to admit I truly don't get this. It's not that I don't get that many can't find a job after graduating but that you can't find a job in civil engineering.

If you google civil engineering jobs there doesn't seem to be a shortage. Calgary on "indeed" - 189 postings, "wowjobs" - 292 postings, Vancouver on "wowjobs" - 197 postings. And there is a bunch that are specifically for "new Grads".
Whenever I read that people have sent 100's of applications or resumes I assume that's the reason that they haven't got anywhere. If they'd sent 10 tailored applications instead then they'd probably have got a lot further.

Still, it doesn't matter how many jobs there are available. What matters is the jobs/applicants ratio; liquidity is not necessarily the same as demand.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:40 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Whenever I read that people have sent 100's of applications or resumes I assume that's the reason that they haven't got anywhere. If they'd sent 10 tailored applications instead then they'd probably have got a lot further.
Agree. And better yet, hand deliver your resume and ask if you can have a minutes of the office manager's time to discuss the opening.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The world is changing. It always has been changing but the rate of change is increasing. One of the consequences of change is that the school to retirement jobs that our parents (or even some of us oldies) aspired to are disappearing.

Just last week the universities of BC were saying that to meet the projected requirements for graduates in the next 20 years they needed to add 11,000 students. (Of course, I realize this is a bit like turkeys saying that Christmas is overrated). All the major political parties are campaigning on how they will improve trades training because of a chronic lack of younger skilled trades.

There is work to be done. Skills and education are needed. There are just few "jobs."

It shouldn't be a surprise. Twenty something years ago, when I was studying business management, the brighter thinkers recognized that tradition careers were on the way out. Future careers would be portfolios. The portfolio could include full-time paid employment but much would likely be part-time employment, work on fixed term special projects, self-employment, volunteering and education.

Even if you set aside the usual student bleating, "I've got a degree yet they won't put me in a corner office and pay me a massive salary - they expect me to, gasp, get some experience first," the new reality seems to be here. In the past, when a company expected to employ the graduate for 35-40 years, paying a half-decent salary to an unproductive know all for five years was seen as a worthwhile investment. But how do the new graduates get the experience now?

I suspect a good deal of the problem is that young people listen to their parents who still see university followed by a life-long job with a good company as the norm. It isn't any more, and recent graduates need to realize this and be more creative and proactive in managing their careers.

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 3rd 2013 at 6:51 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
I hate the lies that we are constantly bombarded with,remember back around August/Sept last year,the Govt tried to tell us that the UK was out of recession?(bullshit!)
Last week on the radio I hear Scotland is out of recession,but then they tell us that construction has dropped to a record low,which in turn keeps us in the same boat.(worst scenraio since 1955 they reckoned)

Anyone remember the (I think it was a labour MP),saying that the public have NEVER had it so good(at the start of the recession,and start of the scandal about MP's 2nd homes,new kitchens,duck ponds etc..)

I can't see things getting any better without first getting worse over the next few years,especially when the construction industry is in decline.I would like very much to be wrong,but look at history,and it repeats itself.
Wasn't that a paraphrase of Harold Macmillan to suggestion to the working classes they vote for his party while he presided over the moral decay of the British establishment?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shard
£24K is that a typo?

Shard

Cheap houses in the UK.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...#axzz2Jrx6YXVJ

hudd
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
Thanks. Am amazed by those prices.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

There is a reason that housing in certain areas is cheap.
High crime rates,high unemployment,poor public transport etc..
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
There is a reason that housing in certain areas is cheap.
High crime rates,high unemployment,poor public transport etc..
I know, but still, cheaper than I imagined. Nobody wants crime, but for people that just need a roof, it's low cost.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:23 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I had a skilled job within a few weeks of coming to Canada. Back home I'd spent the guts of 2 years working part time in shops or doing deliveries for take aways.

Guess it depends where you live and what industry.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:49 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Housing is ridiculously overpriced in some regions, in my locality it was a product of banks giving credit to all (125% mortgage anyone?) which drove prices skyward (they doubled in some areas within a year - hardly sustainable)

Then came the crash (the easy credit dried up) - suddenly the housing market, which had refused to stop climbing, fell like a house of cards and has continued to fall till this day (since 2007)

Housing here is now quite affordable with prices being probably lower than they should be (apartment went on the market last week for £24,000) but still no one is buying as they are scared that prices are still dropping and no one can get a mortgage unless they have a ridiculous deposit (which suggests to me that the banks outlook is not overly positive) and is the polar opposite to how it was

Until something breaks this circle it will continue to get worse
You guys in Canada have it lucky compared with us in Aus - the housing here is just bloody ridiculous. I know BC can be expensive but even so, Aus is really outrageous for house prices. Almost as bad as UK you could argue. And don't forget rates here are higher as well, so repayments can be chunky.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:54 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Zen10
You guys in Canada have it lucky compared with us in Aus - the housing here is just bloody ridiculous. I know BC can be expensive but even so, Aus is really outrageous for house prices. Almost as bad as UK you could argue. And don't forget rates here are higher as well, so repayments can be chunky.
We meet again Count Hugo von Drach.

At least in Ozzie land you can use your pools and decks for much of the year.

These days Canada and UK house prices are not that far apart (Canada has risen, UK has fallen).
Old Feb 4th 2013, 12:57 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
We meet again Count Hugo von Drach.

At least in Ozzie land you can use your pools and decks for much of the year.

These days Canada and UK house prices are not that far apart (Canada has risen, UK has fallen).

Ah, Mr Bond. Please take a seat above my shark tank....

Not sure if we get more outside use to be honest. Depends how much you like hot weather. Winters here dark at about 5.30 and can be windy, cold, rainy, so no outside use then (May - September) and summers are generally nice but the heatwaves are just terrible, and you definitely don't go outside then!

Pulls lever, Shard falls down the tube into tank
Old Feb 4th 2013, 1:04 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Zen10
Ah, Mr Bond. Please take a seat above my shark tank....

Not sure if we get more outside use to be honest. Depends how much you like hot weather. Winters here dark at about 5.30 and can be windy, cold, rainy, so no outside use then (May - September) and summers are generally nice but the heatwaves are just terrible, and you definitely don't go outside then!

Pulls lever, Shard falls down the tube into tank

I've obviously been watching too many Escape to Australia type programs
Old Feb 4th 2013, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
They're outside the M25. Of course they're cheap.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:28 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Statistically (yes, I know), there's very little in it between UK and Canada...Belarus is looking promising.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/country-list/unemployment-rate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.