Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

General Mortgage Advice Needed

Wikiposts

General Mortgage Advice Needed

Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:36 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default General Mortgage Advice Needed

Have moved provinces (not for the first time) and am buying a house, again not for the first time, I've bought and sold properties in Quebec and Ontario.

This time however the mortgage people are saying that because I'm here on a WP, I fall under the CMHC umbrella. This which means I have to fork out a one off insurance period of of over a grand to get mortgage approval.

This has not been required for my previous mortgages, I'm borrowing well within my means and putting my own money (over 30% of the house price) as well. I've never missed a mortgage payment and have paid off the previous mortgages in full (plus any penalties) when I moved. In 3 months I qualify for the accelerated skilled worker permanent residence scheme which i fully intend with my employers support to go for.

Have the rules on mortgages changed recently or am I getting shafted?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:41 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Mortgage Advice Needed

Originally Posted by JGK
Have moved provinces (not for the first time) and am buying a house, again not for the first time, I've bought and sold properties in Quebec and Ontario.

This time however the mortgage people are saying that because I'm here on a WP, I fall under the CMHC umbrella. This which means I have to fork out a one off insurance period of of over a grand to get mortgage approval.

This has not been required for my previous mortgages, I'm borrowing well within my means and putting my own money (over 30% of the house price) as well. I've never missed a mortgage payment and have paid off the previous mortgages in full (plus any penalties) when I moved. In 3 months I qualify for the accelerated skilled worker permanent residence scheme which i fully intend with my employers support to go for.

Is this just one mortgage company telling you this or lots?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:59 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK

The Canadian Bank Act prohibits most federally regulated lending institutions from providing mortgages without mortgage loan insurance for amounts that exceed 80% of the value of the home or purchases with less than 20% down payment. Other than that I believe the lenders can decide for themselves who has to have insurance and who does not. As has been seen on this site recently, On TWPthe risk to the lender is higher if you lose your job. The other option is wait the 3 months until you have PR before getting a mortgage or check out other lenders.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:03 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Is this just one mortgage company telling you this or lots?
It's the CIBC which is, ironically, my own bank. All my previous mortgages were with the TD.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:05 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Aviator
The Canadian Bank Act prohibits most federally regulated lending institutions from providing mortgages without mortgage loan insurance for amounts that exceed 80% of the value of the home or purchases with less than 20% down payment. Other than that I believe the lenders can decide for themselves who has to have insurance and who does not. As has been seen on this site recently, On TWPthe risk to the lender is higher if you lose your job. The other option is wait the 3 months until you have PR before getting a mortgage or check out other lenders.
Was asking for < 70% asking price and the job situation where I am is as secure as anything can be in the current climate.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:06 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK
It's the CIBC which is, ironically, my own bank. All my previous mortgages were with the TD.
I would ring around a few more - you may have just stumbled upon what one may refer to as an "idiot" who doesn't know what they are doing.