Reload this Page >

GDL, LPC journey what next ?

Wikiposts

GDL, LPC journey what next ?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:59 am
Just Joined

katieb247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GDL, LPC journey what next ?

Hi, I am just making a general enquiry. Hypothetically I obtain a GDL, the LPC does anyone have experiences of how easy it is to be accepted by the Bar in Canada to practice law and get permanent residency. Does anyone also have knowledge on experiencing moving with same-sex partner. Thanks so much
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GDL, LPC journey what next ?

Originally Posted by katieb247
Hi, I am just making a general enquiry. Hypothetically I obtain a GDL, the LPC does anyone have experiences of how easy it is to be accepted by the Bar in Canada to practice law and get permanent residency. Does anyone also have knowledge on experiencing moving with same-sex partner. Thanks so much
This site will provide you with info on how to have your credentials assessed by the NCA: http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers/guidelines.asp

If you perform a search, you will note that I have posted responses to many threads on this issue.

Your biggest difficulty will be obtaining a job that will enable you to apply for PR. I doubt very much that any Canadian law firm will be interested in employing you until you have obtained your NCA certificate and are ready to Article. Even then, as it doesn`t sound like you have practised in the UK, I doubt that a Canadian law firm will be interested in jumping through the hoops they would need to to employ you. They will simply take a Canadian law graduate that is good to begin.

If you are under 30 you may want to have a look at BUNAC. That will get you into Canada and you may be able to persuade a law firm to take you on and progress from there.

Best of luck