Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GBP now buys just $1.75 EKKKK!!!

GBP now buys just $1.75 EKKKK!!!

Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GBP now buys just $1.75 EKKKK!!!

Originally Posted by macadian
That is exactly what the pub trade in the UK are complaining about. As you have said, the big supermarkets sell some booze at less than cost to get people in there....in the knowledge they are likely to spend on other items. Some beers etc are sold as 'loss leaders' for that very purpose! The complaint from the Pub trade is that they cannot compete with those prices. Much cheaper to buy a 'six pack' and take it home...and if you smoke, you can slowly kill yourself too... while you have a beer.
Not always the case though, as last week I bought two bottles of Hens Tooth and 12 bottles of Becks for £12 at Asda. This was for 8 pints of beer, but I could have (and wished that I had) walked to my local 'spoons pub and had 8 pints of Green King IPA for £7.92.

So in this case it would have saved me 33% by going to the pub instead of buying at the supermarket.

I know IPA is not the best ale on offer but for £0.99, but it's not too bad.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
... and 12 bottles of Becks for £12 at Asda.
Yup, I can believe it! ... last time I check in our local liquor store here in BC, Canada, an oversized bottle of Becks came in at $3.95 (+ taxes) ... private liquor stores can be a little more expensive too!!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Yup, I can believe it! ... last time I check in our local liquor store here in BC, Canada, an oversized bottle of Becks came in at $3.95 (+ taxes) ... private liquor stores can be a little more expensive too!!!
Quite right too...wheeners in BC should be charged at least double.....
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Quite right too...wheeners in BC should be charged at least double.....
Yah! ... that's the price we pay for living in Paradise ... not Peckham!