Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB Pound Vs CAD Dollar - HOW LOW CAN IT GO?

Originally Posted by SNOWDUDE
Land - 1 Jan 2010 when the exchange rate is say; $1.60

Left behind UK assests, house(rented out) & savings valued at £350K or $560K on the date of landing.

1 Jan 2011 exchange rate say,$2.00, UK house sold & savings transferred to Canada and now worth $700k (assuming no other capital growth)

Capital gain due to improvement in exchange rate = $160K (CGT payable on 50%) therefore tax to pay in Canada would be $20.3k
Depends entirely on your marginal tax rate in the year of the exchange.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNOWDUDE
I sincerely hope youre correct. Our problem is it looks as if our visas will be issued before the end of this year so we potentially face "landing" at a time with very low rates. From previous contributors to this thread I understand that a low rate creates the potential for a significant Canadian CGT charge if the rate improves. Below is a little scenario which is my understanding of how CGT would apply to an improvement in rates between "landing" and bringing over the bulk of your assets, it would be great to hear comments on this from any of you tax experts out there.

Scenario,

Land - 1 Jan 2010 when the exchange rate is say; $1.60

Left behind UK assests, house(rented out) & savings valued at £350K or $560K on the date of landing.

1 Jan 2011 exchange rate say,$2.00, UK house sold & savings transferred to Canada and now worth $700k (assuming no other capital growth)

Capital gain due to improvement in exchange rate = $160K (CGT payable on 50%) therefore tax to pay in Canada would be $20.3k
Is that really the case though. The FX rate you achieve when you become tax resident doesn't haunt you forever. It should only apply to GBP that you currently have when you become tax resident. i.e. if you sell your house, you pay CGT on the house increase, and will only pay CGT on the FX exchange if the difference between the FX rates when you sold your house and transferred your cash is in your favour.

I'm not saying it does work that way, but if it doesn't then I could buy a load of GBP now, wait (maybe quite a while) for it to go to 2.00 and then buy the CAD back tax free!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm not saying it does work that way, but if it doesn't then I could buy a load of GBP now, wait (maybe quite a while) for it to go to 2.00 and then buy the CAD back tax free!
That's currency trading and it ain't tax free! On the up side, if you lose money CRA will allow you to deduct your losses.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
That's currency trading and it ain't tax free! On the up side, if you lose money CRA will allow you to deduct your losses.
I know, and the FX rate for CGT* would be fixed at the time I bought GBP and not when I became tax resident (which would make no sense).

*Assume it's an investment and I'm not doing it to make a living.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:06 pm

I know, and the FX rate for CGT* would be fixed at the time I bought GBP and not when I became tax resident (which would make no sense).

*Assume it's an investment and I'm not doing it to make a living.
Not sure why you don't think it makes sense. You buy anything as an investment, regardless of whether you do it for a living or not, you pay tax in an increase in value, savings, GIC, property, share or currency. When you became a tax resident is irrelevant, unless you bought the asset prior to becoming one, then the deemed disposition rules apply.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
The bottomline for me is there is no other factor than speculative currency trading that explains the current rate of exchange between the pound and the canadian dollar. Therefore I re-iterate that the bottom is just around the corner.
There are other factors than speculation. Canada is an oil exporting country so as the price of oil rises again there is a greater demand for Canadian dollars. Therefore the currency strengthens.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:26 pm

Not sure why you don't think it makes sense. You buy anything as an investment, regardless of whether you do it for a living or not, you pay tax in an increase in value, savings, GIC, property, share or currency. When you became a tax resident is irrelevant, unless you bought the asset prior to becoming one, then the deemed disposition rules apply.
Sure, what I mean is it doesn't make sense to tax a gain on something you don't own based on some value it might have had at the time of becoming a tax resident if you had owned it.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There are other factors than speculation. Canada is an oil exporting country so as the price of oil rises again there is a greater demand for Canadian dollars. Therefore the currency strengthens.
I agree the oil price is a factor together with all the other primary resources that Canada is able to extract and export. However, the downside of the high CAN$ is that export of manufactured goods becomes more difficult.

There is a comparison to be made with the UK possibly. I don't know how strong the pound was when north sea oil was booming but I would expect it artificially strengthened the pound and contributed to the decline of manufacturing/industry at that time. The same could well happen in Canada.

Canada hasn't done any "quantitative easing" yet has it (?) which would be another factor strengthening the CAN$.

It's pretty clear the government in the UK is content to let the pound fall in an attempt to help an export led recovery.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by James Martindale
It is important we point out some key economic facts- because there has been some slightly misleading information posted in this thread and talk of the Canadian economy doing well and being ahead of the UK is frankly ludicrous.

1/ Canada has a national debt at 64% of it's GDP versus the UK which is 57%.

2/ I know it may be measured differently and I don't have the figure to hand but unemployment is still higher in Canada.

3/ The central interest rate in Canada is 0.25% versus 0.5% in the UK.

The bottomline for me is there is no other factor than speculative currency trading that explains the current rate of exchange between the pound and the canadian dollar. Therefore I re-iterate that the bottom is just around the corner.
With countries running massive deficits current debt levels are only relevant as a starting point for where debt will be in 3-5 years. What's your take on UK vs Canada deficits? I think Canada is a clear winner there.

One can also debate about what is included in the 64% and 57%. Provincial debt? Unfunded pension liabilities? PFI?

Small difference in unemployment and central bank rates? In the current, very unstable economic environment who cares? I'm pretty sure Canada has always had a higher unemployment rate than the UK by some measures.

Of course speculation plays a role FX. And speculation is normally rooted in some reality.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I agree the oil price is a factor together with all the other primary resources that Canada is able to extract and export. However, the downside of the high CAN$ is that export of manufactured goods becomes more difficult.

There is a comparison to be made with the UK possibly. I don't know how strong the pound was when north sea oil was booming but I would expect it artificially strengthened the pound and contributed to the decline of manufacturing/industry at that time. The same could well happen in Canada.

Canada hasn't done any "quantitative easing" yet has it (?) which would be another factor strengthening the CAN$.

It's pretty clear the government in the UK is content to let the pound fall in an attempt to help an export led recovery.
I agree that the strength of the CAD is a serious problem for Canadian manufacturers. I also think the Bank of Canada would dearly love to let the dollar fall, but with a base rate of 0.5% there is not a lot more they can do.

There has not been the same kind of quantitative easing in Canada that there has been in the UK and the US. However, the government is planning on a deficit up to $50bn this year so this is putting some more money into the economy. In the meantime there is not much more the government can do except wait for the US economy start to recover.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:30 pm

I agree. GBP has fallen against everything lately, and while this general weakness may stop it doesn't necessarily mean that GBP/CAD will go higher if demand for CAD continues to rise.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:32 pm

I agree that the strength of the CAD is a serious problem for Canadian manufacturers. I also think the Bank of Canada would dearly love to let the dollar fall, but with a base rate of 0.5% there is not a lot more they can do.

There has not been the same kind of quantitative easing in Canada that there has been in the UK and the US. However, the government is planning on a deficit up to $50bn this year so this is putting some more money into the economy. In the meantime there is not much more the government can do except wait for the US economy start to recover.
There is talk that rates might have to go up in the medium term as well. (and QE is theft, I'm glad they haven't done lots of it here)
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

There is talk that rates might have to go up in the medium term as well. (and QE is theft, I'm glad they haven't done lots of it here)
I noticed that a few banks have started to increase there 5+ year fixed rates recently. That certainly signals that the money markets expect rates to increase over the medium-term. I think we had both worked out that this was bound to happen.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Is that right - I wasn't aware of that. How do you benefit, as a credit on your capital gains allowance ?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

I too would be interested to hear more about this - we landed around a year and a half ago, with exchange about $2.10, and we need to move some of our English cash over now; it won't wait. How do we claim this as a loss????

Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.