Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are gas rates going up here too? Should I lock in?

Are gas rates going up here too? Should I lock in?

Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

projectbliss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are gas rates going up here too? Should I lock in?

I see that gas bills are about to go up massively in the UK (35%) over the next few months, and that money gurus like Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert.com, "Good Morning" , other telly shows...) are recommending that UK customers cap/lock in their gas rates now before the price rises take effect.

Here in Edmonton I had some guys from Direct Energy, my gas company, on the doorstep last week asking if I'd like to do the same. I didn't sign up, mainly because I didn't like their sales technique, which was basically trying to scare me into contracting with them by predicting massive price rises, and saying that I was one of the few households not to already have done this. I checked online and found figures saying that less than 20% of consumers lock in their gas rates in Alberta as compared to those who stick with the variable rate. I hate transacting on the doorstep in any event (it's like gypsies coming round to sell lucky heather, or to ask about tarmacking the drive!), so I sent them away and have tried to look into the facts myself.

Has anyone here had their gas rates locked in? Any experts out there who recommend it? Am I right in thinking that there is a wholesale worldwide gas market, and that if gas prices are going up in the UK then its a fair bet they will go up here too? Any advice most gratefully received.

If only we had a Canadian Martin Lewis.......
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:20 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are gas rates going up here too? Should I lock in?

We are fairly big users (four figure bills, before the decimal in the winter & spring) and have not locked in with third party resellers. You still have to pay Terasen for delivery etc, the lock in is only the commodity, which Terasen sell at cost. The resellers are often already above the market price when they lock you in, if Terasen sell gas at cost and these guys are in it for a profit, who do you think has the best odds of coming out on top?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Before you lock in compare rates www.Energyshop.com
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Supply & Demand pure & simple