Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Gas Fitter from UK

Gas Fitter from UK

Old Aug 24th 2016, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Rodthegasgod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas Fitter from UK

Hi guys, not sure if anyone can help, my wife and i are attempting to start the emigrating process to canada. I have been a plumber and gas fitter for 12 years, i completed all my gas qualifications in 2007 but never completed my NVQ 2 plumbing qualification. Would you know if i am still eligible to qualify or if the gas qualification is recognised please?
Old Aug 24th 2016, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Re: Gas Fitter from UK

Hi

The qualifications you obtain in the UK are not recognized here in Canada, you will have to do a RedSeal exam when you arrive. When I came over, I met the FSW list of occupations and the required experience but still needed to re-qualify when I arrived.

To be honest, the RedSeal is relatively easy to sit and then when you see the quality of workmanship by theses guys you will probably laugh.

You best bet is to look at CIC website for the present list of occupations needed here and then look at the qualifications required to apply.

Are you one of the 'Brexit' exodus?
Old Aug 24th 2016, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

thank you so much for quick reply.

The Brexit exodus did make me chuckle :-)

My only concern was, would i be welcome to sit the red seal, eventhough I do not hold my NVQ 2 in plumbing but do have the experience and all relative uk gas qualifications.

One part of the process asked for my qualifications in the uk, so that I could get them assessed against canadian qualifications. But other than my gas qualifications, I don't hold any others. My consultant said that proof of experience will get me through, have you ever heard of that or is he just after my money? :-)
Old Aug 24th 2016, 9:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

To sit and challenge the interprovincial exam (there is no Red Seal exam) you have to prove 9000 hours work experience. The work as a gas fitter this is a separate qualification to plumbing. Licensing for gas fitter is done by the provincial safety authority. You would need to sit both exams to be a plumber and gas fitter.

UK qualifications don't carry any merit in Canada. Trade qualifications are not assessed for equivalency at all.

Not sure what any consultant would say your qualifications would get you through. Through what?

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 24th 2016 at 9:13 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 11:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to challenge the exams based on proof of your experience. Challenge means to sit the exam without taking a college course.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
Hi

To be honest, the RedSeal is relatively easy to sit and then when you see the quality of workmanship by theses guys you will probably laugh.
I wouldn't say the Red Seal Plumbing exam is easy, far from it. I didn't find the exam easy. Most of the foreign plumbers I have met over here, found it a tough exam as well. A very high percentage of people fail it first time around and that includes Canadians. Not to put you off.

Doing plumbing exams in the UK is like sitting your drivers license test. Spoon fed all the information its so easy.

Though I do agree with some of the workman ship here, leaves a lot to be desired.

Plumbing Red Seal exam is 4 hours long with 125 Questions

Depending which province you go to for Gas. But BC Gas B Ticket exam is 3 1/2 hours with 150 Questions.

If you move to another province, you will have to do the Gas B Ticket exam again in the province you moved to. This is until they bring out the Gas B Ticket Red Seal Exam, then it will be an interprovincial ticket. The Gas A ticket is Red Seal Interprovincial.

I would recommend getting the National Code Book of Plumbing or The National Code Book of Gas (depending on which ticket your going for) and have a read though those bad boys and understand them and work out where everything is in them. NOTE: there is no practice exams in these books.

Heres a couple of Plumbing Practice Exams made up by people that remember the odd question form when they sat the exam.

Plumbing Exam Study Questions | Plumbing Help

http://www.plumbinghelp.ca/wp-conten...acticeExam.pdf

http://www.plumbinghelp.ca/wp-conten...-Version-1.pdf

I could never find any practice exams for the Gas B Ticket. I went to night school for my Gas Ticket and they had all practice questions I needed, which are supplied by the college.

You may be able to find a college that offers a refresher course to get you up to speed of Canadian terminology and codes.

I would personally get both tickets as it will increase your chances of employment.

Best of luck
Old Aug 25th 2016, 4:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For BC: https://www.welcomebc.ca/Work-or-Stu...grants/Plumber

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Work-or-Stu...nts/Gas-Fitter

Old Aug 25th 2016, 6:12 am
Just Joined

thanks for reply, i think I am getting the wrong information from my consultant. Thank you both :-)
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodthegasgod
thanks for reply, i think I am getting the wrong information from my consultant. Thank you both :-)
There you go - as per your other thread, don't bother with a consultant! get rid before you pay anything, BE can help instead.