Wikiposts

Gardening????

Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Gardening????

ok..at the risk of embarrasement. I ask..>
Can anyone tell me what happens with the garden in WInter with all that snow...???
what are the best plants to plant..?
I particularly like groundcovers *S*
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:39 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening????

The more delicate stuff is usually covered up with burlap sacks, the rest of it seems to recover OK. I guess you have to pick and choose what you are going to plant to some extent, but you would be amazed how hardy some things are. We planted a bunch of $2 "indoor" roses outside, and they come back every years just covered in buds without any special treatment.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Can anyone tell me what happens with the garden in WInter with all that snow...???
What's more important in considering which variety will be hardy enough to tolerate the winter is where you are located. What Zone are you in?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:27 am
Glaswegian

Calgary is allegedly Zone 3 ... anything that can survive -40C should survive here, although the warming effects of chinooks can cause havoc.

If you want to be a gardener, don't move to Alberta or the prairies ... try Ontario or BC.

Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Calgary is allegedly Zone 3 ... anything that can survive -40C should survive here, although the warming effects of chinooks can cause havoc.

If you want to be a gardener, don't move to Alberta or the prairies ... try Ontario or BC.
The OP lists Australia as his/her location, although the post was in the Canadian forum...that's why I asked what zone!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:37 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by bionomique
The OP lists Australia as his/her location, although the post was in the Canadian forum...that's why I asked what zone!
I believe she(?) is heading over to be with her(?) boyfriend(?) ... can't remember where in Canada she's(?) headed.

Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Move to BC - Victoria starts its flower count next week.....my tulips and daffodils are already poking their little heads out of the ground......

Is there any chance you could use another colour besides the purple for your messages?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:50 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
Is there any chance you could use another colour besides the purple for your messages?
What's wrong with purple??

On the plus side ... basement hydroponics is very popular in BC ....

Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Glaswegian]What's wrong with purple??

On the plus side ... basement hydroponics is very popular in BC ...

Because it's really irritating, just like someone I know

We're a have-not province don't you know, we have to make a few extra bucks somehow.....

Where's your special buddy today?

Last edited by willmore; Feb 9th 2005 at 4:11 am.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:11 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by willmore
ITS REALLY IRRITATING LIKE SOMEONE I KNOW
Who would that be??

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Who would that be??
I just can't imagine who I would be talking about...but a certain Scottish person who will remain nameless certainly comes to mind........you know the one with the sharp, quick wit.....that likes to tease the living daylights out of me sometimes?

So where is your friend today.....I was hoping to continue the discussion about immigrants and accents.....
Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

I will be in Kelowna.
I am an aussie girl..marrying a Canadian....can't you tell by my pic.....i am a mermaid..???

and PS...i always use the purple colour..but..if you will answer my questions i will change just for in here
Old Feb 9th 2005, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

I will be in Kelowna.
I am an aussie girl..marrying a Canadian....can't you tell by my pic.....i am a mermaid..???

and PS...i always use the purple colour..but..if you will answer my questions i will change just for in here
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

You can roughly translate the USDA hardiness zones into Canadian zone equivalents, by finding out how low your area's temperatures can reach, and then use the chart below to find your corresponding zone.
Zone 1: below -46 C (below -50 F)
Zone 2: -46 to -40 C (-50 to -40 F)
Zone 3: -40 to -34 C (-40 to -30 F)
Zone 4: -34 to -29 C (-30 to -20 F)
Zone 5: -29 to -23 C (-20 to -10 F)
Zone 6: -23 to -18 C (-10 to 0 F)
Zone 7: -18 to -12 C (0 to 10 F)
Zone 8: -12 to -7 C (10 to 20 F)
Zone 9: -7 to -1 C (20 to 30 F)
Zone 10: -1 to 4 C (30 to 40 F)
Zone 11: above 4 C (above 40 F)