Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

FX rates...will the rate stop dropping???

FX rates...will the rate stop dropping???

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all
Default FX rates...will the rate stop dropping???

Ive just had my daily update form HiFX and todays rate is now 1.56!
Holy cow!

when will it stop???
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 12:16 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FX rates...will the rate stop dropping???

Originally Posted by heading-west
Holy cow!

when will it stop???
Calm, calm, girl!
It was close to this rate just a few weeks ago in September and it has gone up and then down again, so we are no worse off. It has been as low and 1.48 in the last 6 months, so let's look on the bright side.
Unless you are expecting to transfer funds any day now, don't sweat it!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helcat12
Calm, calm, girl!
It was close to this rate just a few weeks ago in September and it has gone up and then down again, so we are no worse off. It has been as low and 1.48 in the last 6 months, so let's look on the bright side.
Unless you are expecting to transfer funds any day now, don't sweat it!
True.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:01 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

It makes me really happy that the exchange rate is so low now, as I'm heading back to Blighty for Christmas....

Yay! Christmas sales....
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:23 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
It makes me really happy that the exchange rate is so low now, as I'm heading back to Blighty for Christmas....

Yay! Christmas sales....
So is my OH - he has been saying to me since we were married, "Nothing but champagne now I'm the boss!"
He can prove it when he arrives!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

the_big_v is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy cow!

when will it stop???
I just checked the charts and the news on GBP/CAD and it looks like things are moving in the right direction at least. GBP is getting stronger and CAD is getting weaker. Expect fluctuation over the Christmas period, but I think you'll find a more preferential rate early next year.

I would say don't quote me on that; but I guess thats not how these forum things work is it?!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_big_v
I just checked the charts and the news on GBP/CAD and it looks like things are moving in the right direction at least. GBP is getting stronger and CAD is getting weaker. Expect fluctuation over the Christmas period, but I think you'll find a more preferential rate early next year.

I would say don't quote me on that; but I guess thats not how these forum things work is it?!
sounds promising
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:35 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by the_big_v

Lots of recent opinions that 1.70 is probable in the first quarter of next year. I'd settle for that alongside the much-predicted housing market crash in the Greater Vancouver/ Island area!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still paying a mortgage in the UK, so the current rates are OK for me.

I want house prices to rise in the UK and the exchange rate to change, so I can sell my property and buy here.

Both went the wrong way just after I arrived
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by helcat12
Lots of recent opinions that 1.70 is probable in the first quarter of next year. I'd settle for that alongside the much-predicted housing market crash in the Greater Vancouver/ Island area!
Whose recent opinion and source? My opinion is sterling is still in for another crash along with the UK housing market.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default US banks predict sterling set to crash

US banks predict sterling set to crash
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2...-to-crash.html

merica's elite banks are expecting sterling to plummet next year after its meteoric rise to near $2 this autumn, believing Britain's growth surge to be well past its sell-by-date. Goldman Sach has advised sophisticated investors take out a "short" position against pound on the derviatves markets as its top trade for 2007, a bet that the currency will fall.
"The UK remains the largest current account deficit country in Western Europe, with a substantially overvalued currency - about 13pc on a trade-weighted basis," said the bank in a client note.
Jens Nordvig, a Goldman Sachs currency strategist, said the credit cycle was turning as the Bank of England finished raising rates, ending the yield premium over European investments that has made UK bonds so attractive.
RELATED ARTICLES
LA Auto Show: the car market in America today12 Dec 2006
The key questions about the Irish bail-out12 Dec 2006
Ireland's not unlucky, just an inevitable victim of the euro project12 Dec 2006
Goldman Sachs just won't learn when it comes to bankers' pay12 Dec 2006
MPC's blind faith reveals worrying trait for a central bank12 Dec 2006
Fed prints another $600bn to keep US recovery on track12 Dec 2006
"There are quite a few risks in Britain, especially in the housing market, but this is more a case of Europe doing better rather than the UK falling off a cliff," he said.
Lehman Brothers is even more bearish on Britain, warning in its global outlook for 2007 that the glory days of UK dynamism are drawing to a close. It predicted that Britain's FTSE 100 would lag the other major stock markets in 2007, calling for a cut in the UK weighting of global equities from 10pc to 7pc.
The US investment bank also warned that the odds of an outright recession in the US had shortened to 4/1, though it is still betting that the housing slide will bottom out soon enough to ensure a softish "bumpy" landing.
Alan Castle, Lehman's UK economist, said the pound would fall to $1.82 in 2007 and to $1.68 by the end of 2008 as UK Inc gradually goes out of favour.
"I'm not saying that things will be terrrible, but they will feel much worse," he said. The property boom may continue for a few more months as buyers exploit interest-only mortgages and lax credit offers, but would sputter out in the second half of 2007. He expects interest rates to peak at 5.25pc early next year.
"The surprise is that the pound has been so strong. Current account deficits matter over time and we're worried that Britain's deficit could widen to 4pc of GDP in 2008," he said.
Sterling has a been favourite choice for global central banks switching reserves out of dollars over the last two years but Lehman Brothers said the effect was "starting to fade". Fresh data from the Office for National Statistics show private investors are now the main foreign buyers of UK gilts.
The Bank of Italy switched 20pc of its reserves into sterling last year, while Russia and Switzerland have both raised their share to 10pc. But the data is often out of date when published, reflecting a trend that may already have reversed.
Traders suspect that central banks and Middle East institutions are now targeting the yen, which is at a record low against the euro. The Bank of International Settlements said in its quarterly report yesterday that Saudi investors had been switching out of dollars into Japanese bonds.
Lehman Brothers expects the yen to rocket 12pc against the euro in 2007 as Japan finally claws its way out of deflation.
Share:

Finance
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: US banks predict sterling set to crash

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
US banks predict sterling set to crash
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2...-to-crash.html
the date on this report is December 2006 ! and crash it did!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: US banks predict sterling set to crash

the date on this report is December 2006 ! and crash it did!
Exactly just proving a point, you can always find some article or report to go along with your opinion or wishes.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers

Yay! Christmas sales....
Me too! This is awesome news
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 9:12 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Whose recent opinion and source? My opinion is sterling is still in for another crash along with the UK housing market.
Other esteemed members of this forum.
Not saying they are right or wrong, but they might be more up to date than 2006.
Search other recent threads and you will see this been discussed several times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.